v10 rough timetable

Discussion of development and patch submission.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

v10 rough timetable

Post by SarahWalker »

It's getting close to release time again. I'm planning to feature freeze at the beginning of September, then to spend about a month code-hardening with a view to get v10 released at the end of September/beginning of October. On the off chance that anyone has any feature patches that they want in for the next release, they really need to be in before the end of the month.
nerd73

Re: v10 rough timetable

Post by nerd73 »

I think at this point the DYNAREC has matured to the point it is viable to enable it by default in the source code builds.
amadama

Post by amadama »

Can SA1988's NE2000 code be merged into v10?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Only if he provides me with a suitable patch.
Orchidsworn

Post by Orchidsworn »

Really would love to see the NE2000 feature. Number one on my Wishlist for what it is worth .... But seeing this post all I could think is **** just got real. :D. Was completely unaware that things are progressing so fast. I was thinking mid next year. But I am not complaining not in the slightest.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

I would also like to see SLiRP networking support (ported from QEMU)! :)

That way it would be much easier to go online in PCem. Not only I would like to see NE2000 network cards implemented, I would also like to see AMD PCNET Family Ethernet (PCI/ISA). Here's a documentation on networking: http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking

As for the BIOSes, I would also like to see generic Phoenix 80286, 80386 and 80486 ROMs as well as the 1996-era AMI HiFlex Pentium/Winchip and a early Award Modular v4.50PG BIOS ROM (1994-01-18) that supported 80386 based processors.

Oh, I'm wondering if it's possible to add pixel shader support?: http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/

A fork of PCem called PCem Plus had shader support, but it has not been updated since r72. Pixel shaders should be enough to emulate a old laptop with a monochrome display.

I'm sorry that I got a bit carried away, but I can't wait to see PCem v10 rolled out once most of the bugs have been fixed! :)
serrith

Post by serrith »

Hello would it be possible to implement a way to select to what midi mapper you want to send the output ?

In windows 8 and 10 the default windows mapper is always used unless you specify to what mapper you want to send it (for example to output to real midi modules)
In windows you could change the default midi mapper system wide, in windows 8, 8.1 and windows 10 this is no longer possible. Each program has to specify to what mapper it wants to send its data.

In dosbox you can see your midi mappers by the command "mixer /listmidi" then you can specify in the configuration files to what midi mapper you want to send its data.
It would be awesome if we could change that for pcem through the UI.

Thanks !
nerd73

Post by nerd73 »

ppgrainbow wrote:As for the BIOSes, I would also like to see generic Phoenix 80286, 80386 and 80486 ROMs as well as the 1996-era AMI HiFlex Pentium/Winchip and a early Award Modular v4.50PG BIOS ROM (1994-01-18) that supported 80386 based processors
Pheonix 80386 eh?
Working on Phoenix 80386 BIOS support.
It's not fully working yet, things like BIOS setup do not work for example (so you need XTIDE to access hard disks), but it does boot.

Pictures:
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

nerd73 wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:As for the BIOSes, I would also like to see generic Phoenix 80286, 80386 and 80486 ROMs as well as the 1996-era AMI HiFlex Pentium/Winchip and a early Award Modular v4.50PG BIOS ROM (1994-01-18) that supported 80386 based processors
Pheonix 80386 eh?
It's not fully working yet, things like BIOS setup do not work for example (so you need XTIDE to access hard disks), but it does boot.

Pictures:
That's what I'm talking about. Why does the Phoenix 80386 BIOS setup do not work properly right at this time?
SA1988

Post by SA1988 »

anyways, what's the status of the at386 one? Is it left out? (as it redirects to the IBM AT and not on its own).
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

at386 was a hack and isn't going to be reimplemented.
SA1988

Post by SA1988 »

ok then, it needs to be removed, thanks for the explanation :)
leilei

Post by leilei »

The only feature I think that could get in before the lock harmlessly is a -conf parameter to specify the name of a cfg to read/write instead of pcem.cfg
nerd73

Post by nerd73 »

ppgrainbow wrote:
nerd73 wrote:
Pheonix 80386 eh?

Pictures:
That's what I'm talking about. Why does the Phoenix 80386 BIOS setup do not work properly right at this time?
The keyboard does not work in BIOS setup currently. Anyways here is the patch (and ROMs) if you want to use this BIOS.
Phoenix 386 clone emu.zip
(29.31 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
NOTE: I will delete the ROM files from the zip if Tom requests I do.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

Thank you! :D
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

I have proposed some cosmetic changes to PCem v10. I've included what will be called a status panel. :)

This is all based on this ZoomMax 486 computer tower. Here's the actual photo: http://www.markdigital.com/wp-content/u ... oommax.jpg

Here's a sample screenshot of what my status panel is going to look like:
Sample status panel
Sample status panel
Sample.png (5.96 KiB) Viewed 25596 times
Below are key indicators of features of the status panel:

A. Power button: This feature is used to turn on the emulated machine under PCem. By default, I'm suggesting that emulated machine will not be started by default and the user will have to use the power button to turn the emulated machine on.

B. Turbo button: This feature emulates turbo and normal speed of the emulated machine. The current release of PCem has the machine emulated in turbo mode. If you disable turbo mode, the emulated machine will run at a lower clock speed (two to six times slower). For example, if the turbo clock speed is 33 MHz and if you press the turbo button again, the clock speed will drop to only 8 MHz. The Turbo clock speed ratio will need to be implemented in the Settings > Configure menu in order for it to work.

C. Reset button: This button will hard reset the emulated machine under PCem. Currently, the hard reset feature can be found in the File submenu.

D. Keyboard lock dial: This feature controls the keyboard lock like on a real retro PC. If the keyboard lock dial is set to unlocked, the keyboard functions. If the keyboard lock dial is set to locked, then the keyboard emulation is deliberately disabled.

On a AMI-based 486 BIOS for example, if the keyboard lock/unlock dial is set to locked, the error message, "Keyboard is locked ... Unlock it." occurs and you have to set the keyboard lock dial to unlocked and press the F1 key to continue booting the machine.

E. LED three digit CPU clock speed in megahertz: This feature displays the current CPU clock speed. Configuring the CPU clock speed in Settings > Configure > CPU section.

F. Three digit emulation speed in percent: This feature displays the emulated speed of the machine running under PCem.

G. Floppy diskette drive A insert/eject feature: This feature displays the inserted/ejected floppy disk image. By inserting a floppy disk image in drive A, the inserted floppy diskette shows up inside drive A. If the floppy disk image is injected, the inserted floppy diskette disappears.

H. Floppy diskette drive B insert/eject feature: Same as Figure G, but for floppy diskette drive B.

I. Power and turbo on/off LED light indicators: These features control the power and turbo LED indicators. If the power button is turned on, the green led light next to the power button appears.

J. Keyboard lock/unlock LED light indicator: This feature controls the LED lights for the keyboard lock/unlock LED light indicator.

K. Floppy diskette drive A activity LED indicator: This feature displays the green LED read/write activity for floppy diskette drive A.

L. Floppy diskette drive B activity LED indicator: This feature displays the green LED read/write activity for floppy diskette drive B.

M. Hard disk activity indicators: This feature displays the orange LED read/write activity for up to four hard disks.

If there is activity on drive C, the orange LED blinks next to the Primary Master hard disk activity indicator (1M). If there is activity on drive D, the orange LED blinks next to the Primary Slave hard disk activity indicator (1S). If there is activity on drive E, the orange LED blinks next to the Secondary Master hard disk activity indicator (2M). If there is activity on drive F, the orange LED blinks next to the Secondary Slave Master hard disk activity indicator (2S).

Currently, the white LED indicator indicates hard disk activity.

I have included the files needed to get the status panel working correctly and you can download this attachment here:
Status Panel.zip
(26.52 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
Coding for the clock speed (MHz), emulation speed, power/turbo/reset button, keyboard lock and floppy drive animation as well as power, turbo and activity indicators will all need to be implemented in order to get it to work in the next major release of PCem.

If you want the status panel disabled, this feature can be turned off in the Misc > Status Panel section.

If you have any questions about my suggestion and how to get it to work, please let me know and I'll get back to you.
nerd73

Post by nerd73 »

ppgrainbow wrote:I have proposed some cosmetic changes to PCem v10. I've included what will be called a status panel. :)

This is all based on this ZoomMax 486 computer tower. Here's the actual photo: http://www.markdigital.com/wp-content/u ... oommax.jpg

Sample.png

A. Power button: This feature is used to turn on the emulated machine under PCem. By default, I'm suggesting that emulated machine will not be started by default and the user will have to use the power button to turn the emulated machine on.

B. Turbo button: This feature emulates turbo and normal speed of the emulated machine. The current release of PCem has the machine emulated in turbo mode. If you disable turbo mode, the emulated machine will run at a lower clock speed (two to six times slower). For example, if the turbo clock speed is 33 MHz and if you press the turbo button again, the clock speed will drop to only 8 MHz. The Turbo clock speed ratio will need to be implemented in the Settings > Configure menu in order for it to work.

C. Reset button: This button will hard reset the emulated machine under PCem. Currently, the hard reset feature can be found in the File submenu.

D. Keyboard lock dial: This feature controls the keyboard lock like on a real retro PC. If the keyboard lock dial is set to unlocked, the keyboard functions. If the keyboard lock dial is set to locked, then the keyboard emulation is deliberately disabled.

On a AMI-based 486 BIOS for example, if the keyboard lock/unlock dial is set to locked, the error message, "Keyboard is locked ... Unlock it." occurs and you have to set the keyboard lock dial to unlocked and press the F1 key to continue booting the machine.

E. LED three digit CPU clock speed in megahertz: This feature displays the current CPU clock speed. Configuring the CPU clock speed in Settings > Configure > CPU section.

F. Three digit emulation speed in percent: This feature displays the emulated speed of the machine running under PCem.

G. Floppy diskette drive A insert/eject feature: This feature displays the inserted/ejected floppy disk image. By inserting a floppy disk image in drive A, the inserted floppy diskette shows up inside drive A. If the floppy disk image is injected, the inserted floppy diskette disappears.

H. Floppy diskette drive B insert/eject feature: Same as Figure G, but for floppy diskette drive B.

I. Power and turbo on/off LED light indicators: These features control the power and turbo LED indicators. If the power button is turned on, the green led light next to the power button appears.

J. Keyboard lock/unlock LED light indicator: This feature controls the LED lights for the keyboard lock/unlock LED light indicator.

K. Floppy diskette drive A activity LED indicator: This feature displays the green LED read/write activity for floppy diskette drive A.

L. Floppy diskette drive B activity LED indicator: This feature displays the green LED read/write activity for floppy diskette drive B.

M. Hard disk activity indicators: This feature displays the orange LED read/write activity for up to four hard disks.

If there is activity on drive C, the orange LED blinks next to the Primary Master hard disk activity indicator (1M). If there is activity on drive D, the orange LED blinks next to the Primary Slave hard disk activity indicator (1S). If there is activity on drive E, the orange LED blinks next to the Secondary Master hard disk activity indicator (2M). If there is activity on drive F, the orange LED blinks next to the Secondary Slave Master hard disk activity indicator (2S).

I have included the files needed to get the status panel working correctly and you can download this attachment here:
Status Panel.zip
Coding for the clock speed (MHz), emulation speed, power/turbo/reset button, keyboard lock and floppy drive animation as well as power, turbo and activity indicators will all need to be implemented in order to get it to work in the next major release of PCem.

If you want the status panel disabled, this feature can be turned off in the Misc > Status Panel section.

If you have any questions about my suggestion and how to get it to work, please let me know and I'll get back to you.
Some of this seems more a novelty than an actual useful feature.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

nerd73 wrote:
ppgrainbow wrote:I have proposed some cosmetic changes to PCem v10. I've included what will be called a status panel. :)

Sample.png

Status Panel.zip

Some of this seems more a novelty than an actual useful feature.
That's what I've been thinking. As far as I know, no PC emulator has ever emulated keyboard lock/unlock feature and it will be obliviously not easy to implement.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

Battler wrote:Except while simple TCP/IP is good enough for Qemu, on PCem it would fall short of providing a proper period network experience.
It would be fair enough on PCem if it was on a 66 MHz 486 emulated machine, but you can expect browsing to be slow. Overall, why would TCP/IP support fall short on PCem?

And what could be done in order to properly enable SLiRP or user mode networking support in PCem?
startmenu

Post by startmenu »

Sample.png

Status Panel.zip

Seems like IBMulator, an IBM PS/1 Model 2011 emulator. It uses HTML UI lib(powered by libRocket) to make a PS1-like status panel.

a screenshot:
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

startmenu wrote:

Sample.png

Status Panel.zip

Seems like IBMulator, an IBM PS/1 Model 2011 emulator. It uses HTML UI lib(powered by libRocket) to make a PS1-like status panel.

a screenshot:
That is similar to what I based it off of. Implementing the status panel is going to require the HTML UI library (powered by libRocket).

My attempt at a status panel was created from scratch using Microsoft Paint, by the way. :)
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

leilei wrote:The only feature I think that could get in before the lock harmlessly is a -conf parameter to specify the name of a cfg to read/write instead of pcem.cfg
Would also like to see this implemented.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

te_lanus wrote:
leilei wrote:The only feature I think that could get in before the lock harmlessly is a -conf parameter to specify the name of a cfg to read/write instead of pcem.cfg
Would also like to see this implemented.
Me too! :)
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

Another "Feature" I'd like to see is that PCem "remembers" more intelligently where stuff is stored. IE Hdd's is under I:\Emu\PCem\Hdd and Floppies is under G:\Backup\Emu\PC\.

would be great if you use the floppy selector ant it opens where last you opened a floppy, and the same with the HDD selector. Currently it uses whatever was opened last.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

te_lanus wrote:Another "Feature" I'd like to see is that PCem "remembers" more intelligently where stuff is stored. IE Hdd's is under I:\Emu\PCem\Hdd and Floppies is under G:\Backup\Emu\PC\.

would be great if you use the floppy selector ant it opens where last you opened a floppy, and the same with the HDD selector. Currently it uses whatever was opened last.
I agree.

I have added support for the CT486 machine (AMI 486 clone with the CS4031 chipset) using XTIDE option ROM and Bochs BIOS! I also added support for up to 8 IDE hard drives to use with Bochs and XTIDE! :D

I also got word from Neozeed that he is finally going to try to implement SLiRP networking to use with PCem! What do you all think? :D

If SLiRP is successfully implemented and if it does work with PCem, you can expect SLiRP-based networking to be buggy, but if any bugs are found, it will get fixed somehow.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Split off the networking discussion into a seperate topic.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

Moving away from networking, but what's the status of the Shuttle HOT-433 (AMI WinBIOS 486 PCI-based) machine as well as the broken Cirrus Logic CL-GD5429 display adapter? I've noticed that both of the emulated drivers remain broken.

Will the Shuttle HOT-433 and/or the Cirrus Logic CL-GD5429 be fixed or removed from source control completely?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Why would I remove it from source control? I might want to return to it at some point, and in any case it's not enabled in release builds.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

TomWalker wrote:Why would I remove it from source control? I might want to return to it at some point, and in any case it's not enabled in release builds.
I thought that it was buggy and unfixable, but I appear to be wrong. But thanks for telling me.
Alegend45

Post by Alegend45 »

ppgrainbow wrote:
TomWalker wrote:Why would I remove it from source control? I might want to return to it at some point, and in any case it's not enabled in release builds.
I thought that it was buggy and unfixable, but I appear to be wrong. But thanks for telling me.
It works pretty well in PCem-X, though OBattler has drastically modified it.