[Request] Lo-tech 2MB EMS Board

Discussion of development and patch submission.
Fenix77

[Request] Lo-tech 2MB EMS Board

Post by Fenix77 »

Hello.

I would like to have the Lo-tech 2MB EMS Board emulation, if It is possible , (like UniPCemu has). I know many users asked EMS memory boards emulation before.
I found a site with a datasheet from this site https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_2MB_EMS_Board. It also includes a diagram of the circuit.
I don't know how difficult could be but, It would be a nice addition to 8088/8086 XT machines and some 80286 machines without EMS support.

Thanks!
ecksemmess

Re: [Request] Lo-tech 2MB EMS Board

Post by ecksemmess »

If someone is going to go to the trouble of adding an EMS board to PCem, I'd much rather see a period-accurate one emulated than some recent hobbyist board. Is there anything about the Lo-tech that makes it particularly desirable?
Fenix77

Re: [Request] Lo-tech 2MB EMS Board

Post by Fenix77 »

Hello!

It has nothing special, but there is more documentation about this card than any other from the period. I think it's not so difficult to implement this LIM EMS 3.2 board.
The EMS driver developed by lo-tech is based on the driver for an 8-bit ISA BocaRam card from 1988.
Laser XT machines already supports 512 kb of EMS memory.

The xi8088 created by Kiselev is hobbyist PC, and was recently added in Pcem.

A better card would be (if documentation exists):
1. Intel Above board PC or AT, because Windows 1.0x only support EMS memory from these cards.
2. Another interesting card could be Orchid Ramquest 8/16, support up to 32 MB of LIM EMS 4.0 using 4 MB SIMM modules. But this card can be much more complex to emulate.