Old PC (XT, 286,386) PC Speaker PCM emulation

Discussion of development and patch submission.
Doronetty

Old PC (XT, 286,386) PC Speaker PCM emulation

Post by Doronetty »

Hello! Recently I tested PCem with various configurations and found that PC Speaker of the old PC clones (XT,AT 286 and 386) are emulated not full. I'm talking about playing PCM sounds in Mushroom format (this is playing digital recording through PC Speaker). For example you can test this game [Moderator : please do not post links to copyrighted material] - In the title screen must playing a Shalyapin's song "Dubinushka". But PCem did't playing nothing :(
Be true the most PC emulators can't do that too except this XT emulator http://spc-emu.uphero.com/PCXT/SPCXT_v095.zip
If it's possible please solve this problem!

With best regards,
D. Doronetty
Last edited by Doronetty on Wed 14 Nov, 2018 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
leilei

Re: Old PC (XT, 286) emulation

Post by leilei »

A more legal PCem-not-playing-PC-Speaker-sounds example could be Kentris. There's nothing heard in PC speaker no matter what playback speed
Doronetty

Post by Doronetty »

Well, if the game of 1990 could be copyrighted (hey 28!!!!!!! years passed, and the company who made is gone long time ago, even there's no more country there this game was made), another link to demo, which give a name to all PC speaker music format - Magic Mushroom (1988)
[Moderator : That include links to _sites_ with copyrighted material]
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Please don't post links to what are basically warez sites. I can't believe I have to keep saying this!
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

SarahWalker wrote: Thu 25 Oct, 2018 4:11 pm Please don't post links to what are basically warez sites. I can't believe I have to keep saying this!
He is new to the forum, bear with him haha

I noticed there is no rules pinned in the forum, maybe you should make a locked topic with the few rules

1) Don't put link to Copyrighted software
2) Don't request features
3) Don't ask dates for the next release

Hey, I could be an admin lol
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

I had hoped that I wouldn't have to specifically put "don't post illegal stuff" as an explicit rule, as it seems kind of self evident. Not that I think writing down basic rules would help - my experience is that no one reads any of the sticky posts anyway.
Doronetty

Post by Doronetty »

Well, I wouldn't give a links no more. I've tested PCEm one more time with old PC Speaker progs - the other Beeper programs working well (include Atom and other with digitalized samples), only Mushroom format don't work.
Today I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... zNbGa05dfg -it's old games demonstration using PCM on PC Speaker. Author of this video says in comment that he used DOSBox emu and "I forgot which build it was, but it was one that had had work done to improve the accuracy of the PC speaker. The vanilla build doesn't sound as good or as true to the hardware."
So I'm hope it's not big problem to fix PC Speaker on PCem!!!
P.S: Perestroika/Toppler game which about a told in the first post are at 4:28
Doronetty

Re: Old PC (XT, 286,386) PC Speaker PCM emulation

Post by Doronetty »

I just found DOSBox version with enhanced PC Speaker emulation which playing PCM music well - it's called DOSBox ECE. Here the thread with discussion of this problem: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23371