Fix Makefile.in for build

Discussion of development and patch submission.
Martin_Riarte

Fix Makefile.in for build

Post by Martin_Riarte »

I found that there are missing changes to be able to complete the changes in Makefile.in, compiling in CentOS Linux 6.7 the following topics:
- Move BIOS loading out of mem.c (commit # cf136a5).
- Added Sigma Designs Color 400 emulation. Patch from John Elliott (commit # 7092188).
I add the patches below.
If you need it, use them!
Attachments
pcem-709218890c35a235ffd5514a996950aff6f0481b-2.patch
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
pcem-cf136a58e73e669e30da42259a6590b49d0ab571-2.patch
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
shermanp

Re: Fix Makefile.in for build

Post by shermanp »

While I'm far from an expert on the autotools system, I believe Makefile.in is automatically generated from Makefile.am and should not be edited manually.

In other words, it should be enough to run autoreconf before configure.

On the other hand, the bespoke platform specific makefiles do require altering, as they are currently broken (missing the sigma change). But that shouldn't affect users using the standard ./configure && make && make install invocation.
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

Shermanp I tried conpiling this morning using the normal ./configure & make even tried autoreconf and building fails on Kubuntu that I use. And every build has failed since October
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

few days ago i did same as Martin, i found same problem in debian but seeing that linux has litlle or no attention lately, i did not post about it. compiling straight from src, needed only to remove references to sigma device from video.c and ibm.h . looks as if more and more people go with linux, and soon thanks to CodeWeavers and Steam it might accelerate.
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

@Martin_Riarte thanx finally got pcem to compile
Martin_Riarte

Post by Martin_Riarte »

You're welcome, I'm curious by nature and I like to share what I've learned, that's
why when I first met GNU/Linux, I felt at ease.

Thanks GNU/Linux for giving me so much and the opportunity to give back!.
Martin_Riarte

Post by Martin_Riarte »

I'm from the old school, in my time it was very common to share my own programs.
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

Martin_Riarte wrote: Wed 21 Nov, 2018 5:29 pm I'm from the old school, in my time it was very common to share my own programs.
I'm not really a programmer, still use basic atm
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

Martin_Riarte wrote: Wed 21 Nov, 2018 6:25 am I found that there are missing changes to be able to complete the changes in Makefile.in, compiling in CentOS Linux 6.7 the following topics:
- Move BIOS loading out of mem.c (commit # cf136a5).
- Added Sigma Designs Color 400 emulation. Patch from John Elliott (commit # 7092188).
I add the patches below.
If you need it, use them!
shouldn't this be moved to patches so that it can get included in the source?
shermanp

Post by shermanp »

te_lanus wrote: Mon 26 Nov, 2018 7:52 pm shouldn't this be moved to patches so that it can get included in the source?
No, because it shouldn't be required.

I just tested a freshly cloned version of PCem on Kubuntu 18.04

Code: Select all

$ hg clone https://bitbucket.org/pcem_emulator/pcem
$ cd pcem
$ autoreconf -i
$ ./configure
$ make
Make compiled PCem with no errors. No need to patch Makefile.in. That's the purpose of runing 'autoreconf -i' here.
Martin_Riarte

Post by Martin_Riarte »

Maybe in your case not @shermanp, but there are people who have systems reduced by space,
low power processor, arm processors (Raspberry Pi case) with flash memories or for some reason
in particular that can not afford to subtract space (and the list goes on ...), those people are directed
to this post, do not let loose "the patch is not necessary" because these people who need it can
take it literally and not realize that they need it.

Think of others and do not use much ego when carrying, please, I was a lot of time in the place of
the other, disoriented and without hope of compiling a program like people, just for the mere fact
that I need it.
Martin_Riarte

Post by Martin_Riarte »

I agree with you @szadycbr, there are many people who want to learn, play with the code
and be free to share the result, curiosity is strengthened in GNU / Linux and that encourages
challenges and good competition.
@te_lanus, and moved by me, the next, I promise to put them where it belongs, I'm sorry !.

Desde mi querida ARGENTINA!, saludos a todos amigos!!!.
shermanp

Post by shermanp »

Martin_Riarte wrote: Tue 27 Nov, 2018 1:32 am Maybe in your case not @shermanp, but there are people who have systems reduced by space,
low power processor, arm processors (Raspberry Pi case) with flash memories or for some reason
in particular that can not afford to subtract space (and the list goes on ...), those people are directed
to this post, do not let loose "the patch is not necessary" because these people who need it can
take it literally and not realize that they need it.

Think of others and do not use much ego when carrying, please, I was a lot of time in the place of
the other, disoriented and without hope of compiling a program like people, just for the mere fact
that I need it.
I'm sorry, I did not mean to cause any offence. I can see where the patch is useful as a stopgap for those who don't want (or can't) install autotools, until Sarah sorts out the issues upstream. That sigma commit basically broke Windows compilation as well.
Martin_Riarte

Post by Martin_Riarte »

No problem, you did not offend anyone, just at 47 years old, I learned not to be black and white with ideas and words, but more gray and in addition to the aforementioned, it serves simply to learn.
And speaking of that, Sarah that... gran emulador te mandaste amiga!!!.
Sorry, I got the happy Latino inside.

Argentina, Argentina, aguante Argentina!!!
leilei

Post by leilei »

Anything to avoid autotools on Windows is much appreciated. From my experience, autotools has been nowhere near the "it's easy just install run autotools" experience expected around linux circles - at least for the old MinGW32 toolchain I use anyway, which probably has its own "just use X upgrade your everything" law breaking somewhere
Martin_Riarte

Post by Martin_Riarte »

I'm sorry to hear that, I've never used the MinGW32 compiler, which is, the Windows version of GCC ?.
Always use the compilers of the Borland family, one of the best (pioneers) in the old days in compilers and IDE.
I programmed in Windows from the first day and it was a Gruyere cheese with too many errors, but, there is the
challenge, I am passionate about programming in Windows to avoid the daily problems that this had, but, I was
very disturbed by the changes in the system, updates without consulting and that every 5 changes of devices,
I asked you to activate again !, oh yes !!!.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Sorry - I've not been doing much development on trunk recently, so forgot to update those Makefiles. Fixed in rev 1202.

In general, on Linux and other unixy type systems, I strongly recommend using autotools unless you have a very good reason for not doing so.