documentation rework

Discussion of development and patch submission.
gen_angry

documentation rework

Post by gen_angry »

Hello,

I have started a documentation rework here: https://github.com/gen-angry/docs-pcem/ ... /README.md

Before I continue, just wanted to poke Sarah to ask if this is something that would be added? I understand either way :) best to make a sample then ask before finishing it all and getting "na".

If so, also wish to ask if you wanted the machine links in the table as well (not to rom files, just to webpages throughout talking about that machine - can see a sample on the doc).

Cheers!
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: documentation rework

Post by SarahWalker »

Yeah, that's looking good to me. I know documentation has been an issue for many people so an alternative perspective on it is good!

Links are mostly okay, but note one of them links to a site with ROM images, which is something I'd rather not have.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

SarahWalker wrote: Mon 20 Jul, 2020 6:30 am Yeah, that's looking good to me. I know documentation has been an issue for many people so an alternative perspective on it is good!

Links are mostly okay, but note one of them links to a site with ROM images, which is something I'd rather not have.
I missed that, I apologize. Will be more diligent and fix that when I hit it up next.

Thanks for the feedback :)
leilei

Post by leilei »

Dunno if it's too much visual clutter or usefulness, but maybe country flags for each computer model's availability in the table (where applicable i.e. US/EU for Packard Bells, UK for Amstrads, but nothing at all for Xi8088/anonymous XT or so)?

Just a little idea since the formatted list so far has me thinking about Dolphin's dressed up game list.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

leilei wrote: Tue 21 Jul, 2020 7:48 am Dunno if it's too much visual clutter or usefulness, but maybe country flags for each computer model's availability in the table (where applicable i.e. US/EU for Packard Bells, UK for Amstrads, but nothing at all for Xi8088/anonymous XT or so)?

Just a little idea since the formatted list so far has me thinking about Dolphin's dressed up game list.
Not a bad idea actually, I think github has country flag display support.

Will see if I can add it easily - I have an idea how it would work.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

just a question, would you be ok with an MD5/SHA1 of the correct ROM files on it?
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

gen_angry wrote: Fri 24 Jul, 2020 5:37 am just a question, would you be ok with an MD5/SHA1 of the correct ROM files on it?
The is no problem to include the MD5/SHA1, the thing is that there is not just ONE valid file. There are many versions of a same ROM and all should work
vbdasc

Post by vbdasc »

omarsis81 wrote: Fri 24 Jul, 2020 3:04 pm The is no problem to include the MD5/SHA1
Well, we should wait to hear the opinion of the principial author on this. Because for some copyright purists even this could be considered an infringement.
omarsis81 wrote: Fri 24 Jul, 2020 3:04 pm the thing is that there is not just ONE valid file. There are many versions of a same ROM and all should work
Nothing prevents the inclusion of multiple hashes in this case, I guess.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I once posted a checksum and I had no problems, that's why I said that
Zup

Post by Zup »

omarsis81 wrote: Fri 24 Jul, 2020 3:04 pmThe is no problem to include the MD5/SHA1, the thing is that there is not just ONE valid file. There are many versions of a same ROM and all should work
Should != will.

The thing is that PCem programmers check their changes with a set of ROMs. Other ROMs for the same system may be untested and may or may not work, and some dumps on internet may be mislabelled, incomplete or corrupt. Having the hashes of known good ROMS for each system would help filter problems caused by bugs or incorrect ROMs.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Like vbdasc said, many hashes for different revisions could be added and then next to each hash a statement saying that it works or it doesn't
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

Spent some time today and finished it (proofreading pending). Just wanted to get everything from the text file on there first before I start adding anything extra (like the flags suggestion from earlier).

If anyone's bored enough to skim over it as well to catch errors, would be appreciated :) if not I'll do that within the next few days.

Sarah: I'll post a thread with the files in patches when I'm happy with it so it can be shown within the actual repo?
leilei

Post by leilei »

Maybe rename or split "Pentium-based" to Socket 4 - Socket 5 - Socket 7?

Years for sound cards and video cards?
ENM23

Post by ENM23 »

Good work so far, started something similar long time ago...

Maybe some info about shipped drives (HDD, Floppy, CD-Rom), Slots (ISA, PCI ...) , Controller (IDE, SCSI), shipped OS and as said before years for SCs and VCs.

The documentation should be included with the PCem release.