Is there a way to make RGB emulation faster on PCem?

Discussion of development and patch submission.
RetroGIG94

Is there a way to make RGB emulation faster on PCem?

Post by RetroGIG94 »

Yesterday I thought came to me about RGB emulation speed and I was thinking this. Is there a way to increase RGB emulation speed in games? (I know the way to make games faster is 3Dfx voodoo.) How can we make RGB emulation speed faster?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to make RGB emulation faster on PCem?

Post by SarahWalker »

Not sure what you're referring to here - what do you mean by 'RGB emulation'?
RetroGIG94

Post by RetroGIG94 »

Software emulation for some games that can't use the 3D accelerator.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

RetroGIG94 wrote:Software emulation for some games that can't use the 3D accelerator.
That's called Software Rendering and it is usually slow, that is why 3D cards came to exist.
leilei

Post by leilei »

SarahWalker wrote:Not sure what you're referring to here - what do you mean by 'RGB emulation'?
Referring to the Direct3D rendering driver list, which usually goes:

RGB Emulation
MMX Emulation
Ramp Emulation (indexed colors and lookups, fastest without a 3d card)
Reference Rasterizer (hidden, kind of redundant with RGB emulation, but supports more caps like bumpmaps and is a zillion times slower)
Direct3D HAL

RGB Emulation is slow in RealLife(tm) and there is no way PCem can make that mystically faster (other than faster cpu code and support for faster cpus), so that means if you want your lego game to work smoothly in PCem using "RGB Emulation", it'd have to emulate a CoreDuo first and frankly that is humanly prohibitive for the next 30 years
RetroGIG94

Post by RetroGIG94 »

Ok I get the point. But when every time I tried the information that Omarsis81 gave me like use the Mach64gx as the 2D card and let Lego Creator use the voodoo card the game always keeps being on software mode which makes it more slower. I don't know how he did it without showing me on how he installed the drivers by not taking a video of the installation of his setup and installation of the game. But showing a picture of the game in Hardware mode with just a picture not a movie on how he set it up.
RetroGIG94

Post by RetroGIG94 »

RetroGIG94 wrote:Ok I get the point. But when every time I tried the information that Omarsis81 gave me like use the Mach64gx as the 2D card and let Lego Creator use the voodoo card the game always keeps being on software mode which makes it more slower. I don't know how he did it without showing me on how he installed the drivers by not taking a video of the installation of his setup and installation of the game. But showing a picture of the game in Hardware mode with just a picture not a movie on how he set it up.
Does anyone know what to say about this?