[Bug] Windows 10 display scaling mouse issue

Discussion of development and patch submission.
laxdragon

[Bug] Windows 10 display scaling mouse issue

Post by laxdragon »

In Windows 10, if you have your display settings set to scale the fonts and gui to anything higher than 100% the mouse pointer in PCem goes wonky. I'm guessing it is moving faster in coloration to your scaling factor. I noticed this as I now have a 3440x1440 monitor, and prefer to set my scaling to 125%.

To reproduce, right click on host desktop, and chose display settings, in Scale and Layout, set higher than 100%. Launch a Windows 98 session in PCem, and the mouse is now unusable.
Thraka

Re: [Bug] Windows 10 display scaling mouse issue

Post by Thraka »

I've noticed this too. I have a high res laptop and I need scaling to see anything.
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

I seen this, I use Steelseries Engine 3 and made a pcem config with low polling rate and cpi, plus keyboard binds for button 4-8 as a patch! It rocks
FredPJ

Post by FredPJ »

Also, grabbing the bottom right corner of the PCem window to resize it using a high resolution display is next to impossible, hence my previous suggestion of adding a status bar with resizing corner at the bottom of the PCem screen.

I use 175% scaling with a 1920x1080 resolution. The bottom of the configuration and hard disk windows get completely cut (which means that the OK and Cancel buttons aren't visible/are off the screen).

It's unfortunate that the PCem development doesn't seem to focus more on improving the GUI and fixing its bugs. To be honest I really love PCem and it's concept and would love to use it instead of VMWare Workstation or DOSBox, but it's unusable to me due to all these problems that I've reported many times and remain version after version.
ender

Post by ender »

I find PCem much more usable on high-DPI screens than VMWare Workstation (since it can't do any kind of scaling unless you go full-screen, which means everything is tiny).
hexie

Post by hexie »

I have the same problem. I have a high resolution display and the default setting of scaling is 150%. If I set it to 100% everything is too small. But if I set it to 150% the mouse in PCem is not usable. I hope this problem can be solved soon.
basic2004

Post by basic2004 »

I didn't find this problem because I using 100% native DPI
but I found it, launched PCem after change to HiDPI with using Windows 98 guest.

I solved with this, win_Dinput_mouse_fixes branch by JosepMa.
https://bitbucket.org/JosepMaJaz/pcem/c ... ouse_fixes

Patch win-mouse.cc and
add this argument in Makefile.mingw, Makefile.mingw64 and Makefile.mingw-network like this.
LIBS = -mwindows -lwinmm -lopenal32 -lddraw -ldinput -ldinput8 -ldxguid -ld3d9 -lstdc++
Can anyone trying and reporting after this patch?
Thraka

Post by Thraka »

I'm on Windows but I don't have a build system setup. If you wanted to share either a compiled executable or your build system with me, I'll build it. It seems there are a lot of steps to get all of the dependencies to even build the project. I'm just having a hard time making time to do that.