Page 1 of 1

v13 feature freeze end of Friday 13th October

Posted: Mon 25 Sep, 2017 9:08 pm
by SarahWalker
v13 development seems to be going on forever, so I'm giving it an end date.

I'm aiming feature freeze for the end of Friday the 13th of October (thanks iwasaperson!). Any feature patches posted after then won't be considered for the release - obviously bugfixes are still welcome! That will then give a few weeks for bug fixing + general code hardening before a release sometime in November.

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Sunday 8th October

Posted: Tue 26 Sep, 2017 1:57 am
by Katakis
The more features the emulation has over v12, the better...

...and the more crippling my disk space will be.

Appreciate the work that has gone into it, Sarah.

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Sunday 8th October

Posted: Thu 28 Sep, 2017 5:34 am
by A. Naim
Cool news. :)

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Sunday 8th October

Posted: Thu 28 Sep, 2017 8:08 am
by vbdasc
V13? This can't possibly be good... I'd suggest going straight to version 14...

But OTOH, it's amazing how far did PCem go since its early days... Congratulations and thanks!

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Sunday 8th October

Posted: Thu 28 Sep, 2017 6:24 pm
by gen_angry
Sweet :) cant wait.

Thanks to everyone for their hard work

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Sunday 8th October

Posted: Fri 29 Sep, 2017 1:08 am
by iwasaperson
Couldn't make it just a few days later?
V13 freeze on Friday the 13th, which also happens to be in October.

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Sunday 8th October

Posted: Fri 29 Sep, 2017 1:33 am
by leilei
The S3TC patent expires on Oct 2. If someone can bring in working S3 Savage3D emulation between 2 and 8 it'd be crazy awesome timing

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Sunday 8th October

Posted: Fri 29 Sep, 2017 2:43 am
by BoisterousSleet75
leilei wrote:The S3TC patent expires on Oct 2. If someone can bring in working S3 Savage3D emulation between 2 and 8 it'd be crazy awesome timing

I agree, Despite being known for bad drivers quality.

Also, add Savage4 emulation would be nice.

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Sunday 8th October

Posted: Fri 29 Sep, 2017 6:06 pm
by SarahWalker
iwasaperson wrote:Couldn't make it just a few days later?
V13 freeze on Friday the 13th, which also happens to be in October.

Ooh, nice idea!

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Friday 13th October

Posted: Fri 29 Sep, 2017 6:08 pm
by SarahWalker
Savage4 is on my list for some point in the future, as I got given a Savage4 LT a while ago. Even I'm not mad enough to try to emulate it in the next two weeks though.

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Friday 13th October

Posted: Fri 29 Sep, 2017 11:24 pm
by BoisterousSleet75
SarahWalker wrote:Savage4 is on my list for some point in the future, as I got given a Savage4 LT a while ago. Even I'm not mad enough to try to emulate it in the next two weeks though.

Okay. Thanks!

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Friday 13th October

Posted: Sat 30 Sep, 2017 12:28 am
by Fenix77
Hello everyone.

I would like thanks to the devs for PCEM.
I it's awesome PC emulator, mainly because it is possible to create Hard Disk image files and install software like in real machines of it's day.

Sorry if repeating information of older posts, i don't know if they were closed.

I recently discovered tath the Vtech Laser XT/3 has an 8086 Cpu not an 8088 like the Vtech Laser Turbo XT.

if i may ask, it is possible to change it to 8086?

Here is the Manual of the Laser XT/3 machine:
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/VTech/VTech%20Laser%20XT3%20-%20Operations%20Manual.pdf.
on page 84 it says it has an 8086-1 cpu.

And the Manual of the Laser Turbo XT machine:
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/VTech/VTech%20-%20Laser%20Turbo%20XT%20-%20Technical%20Reference%20Manual.pdf
Has an 8088-1 instead of 8086, it is explained on page 14.

And ask if it is possible to add The Hercules Blend Patch, this pacth is not mine it was developed in 2010 by ripsaw8080 for dosbox.
But it was merged in Dosbox-Daum versions only which are no longer under development.
I had a Hercules graphics card with an amber phosphor monitor and it looks very close to the original.

I attached the diff file. I don't know if it's file is useful or if it can be modified to work with PCEM, because i'm not a programmer.
I added two screenshoots ther post called "Hercules Blend Patch",to compare the how it looks with and without the patch it can be enabled or disabled when need with a combination key SVN daum versions of Dosbox.

Thanks again!

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Friday 13th October

Posted: Mon 02 Oct, 2017 1:01 am
by BoisterousSleet75
Fenix77 wrote:Hello everyone.

I would like thanks to the devs for PCEM.
I it's awesome PC emulator, mainly because it is possible to create Hard Disk image files and install software like in real machines of it's day.

Sorry if repeating information of older posts, i don't know if they were closed.

I recently discovered tath the Vtech Laser XT/3 has an 8086 Cpu not an 8088 like the Vtech Laser Turbo XT.

if i may ask, it is possible to change it to 8086?

Here is the Manual of the Laser XT/3 machine:
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/VTech/VTech%20Laser%20XT3%20-%20Operations%20Manual.pdf.
on page 84 it says it has an 8086-1 cpu.

And the Manual of the Laser Turbo XT machine:
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/VTech/VTech%20-%20Laser%20Turbo%20XT%20-%20Technical%20Reference%20Manual.pdf
Has an 8088-1 instead of 8086, it is explained on page 14.

And ask if it is possible to add The Hercules Blend Patch, this pacth is not mine it was developed in 2010 by ripsaw8080 for dosbox.
But it was merged in Dosbox-Daum versions only which are no longer under development.
I had a Hercules graphics card with an amber phosphor monitor and it looks very close to the original.

I attached the diff file. I don't know if it's file is useful or if it can be modified to work with PCEM, because i'm not a programmer.
I added two screenshoots ther post called "Hercules Blend Patch",to compare the how it looks with and without the patch it can be enabled or disabled when need with a combination key SVN daum versions of Dosbox.

Thanks again!

I'm agree that the Laser XT3 has 8086 CPU.

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Friday 13th October

Posted: Sun 08 Oct, 2017 11:49 pm
by leilei
The only feature I think that could be in before the freeze is emulating the overscan area. Games like Commander Keen are missing their cyan borders and all those CRT shaders clip of the edge of text a little too much

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Sunday 8th Octob

Posted: Mon 09 Oct, 2017 1:31 am
by Katakis
iwasaperson wrote:Couldn't make it just a few days later?
V13 freeze on Friday the 13th, which also happens to be in October.


Great, perhaps PCem can have codenames which Sarah can put in the title bar to make sure we don't forget. I was going to put some examples here, but I am not creative enough?

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Friday 13th October

Posted: Sat 14 Oct, 2017 8:35 am
by SarahWalker
And we're frozen! Thanks to everyone who's submitted patches, I'll work my way through the remaining ones over the next few days then get on with bug fixing.

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Friday 13th October

Posted: Sat 14 Oct, 2017 9:31 am
by szadycbr
Sweet!!! Thank You Sarah!!! :D

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Friday 13th October

Posted: Wed 08 Nov, 2017 5:25 am
by Katakis
Can anyone tell me what feature freeze exactly means? I always assumed that Sarah wouldn't add any new features/bugs start of October, but it seems that this is not the case.

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Friday 13th October

Posted: Wed 08 Nov, 2017 5:57 am
by leilei
It is the case. There hasn't been any more new features since the 13th of October. The last feature added was the AudioPCI. The prime focus is bugfixing and reporting to harden the release for a more stable state (which I know is a pretty alien concept in many many many many places)

Note that the speed patch I submitted earlier this month is not in mind for v13. It should be ignored in this stage of development.

Re: v13 feature freeze end of Friday 13th October

Posted: Wed 08 Nov, 2017 7:27 am
by Katakis
Thanks for clarifying.