[Possible Bug?] Blank CGA

Discussion of development and patch submission.
gen_angry

[Possible Bug?] Blank CGA

Post by gen_angry »

Hello, I am trying to create an AMI XT with an 8088 7.16Mhz CPU + CGA graphics. Using v12 stable release.

When I try to boot up, all text is blank (and the cursor moves like it is doing something). However, using an ET4000 (for testing) works and all text is displayed.

PCem.cfg is attached.
pcem.cfg
(1004 Bytes) Downloaded 340 times
This is what I get using a CGA (the cursor moves around rapidly)

This is what I get with the ET4000

Apologies if this isn't a bug, I tried searching the forum for something about this and couldn't find anything.

Thank you :)
PCem_Tester

Re: [Possible Bug?] Blank CGA

Post by PCem_Tester »

You are missing the MDA video adapter font (mda.rom) hence the CGA adapter isn't working properly. This also effects the Hercules, MDA, and other CGA-based video adapters (like Plantronics ColorPlus) though it doesn't effect VGA and EGA adapters.

Try to put 'mda.rom' (or if you didn't have it, try to search online for it) in the "roms" folder and it should work again.
Last edited by PCem_Tester on Thu 26 Oct, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnElliott

Post by JohnElliott »

One minor correction: The Wyse 700 gets its characters from wy700.rom, not mda.rom.
PCem_Tester

Post by PCem_Tester »

JohnElliott wrote:One minor correction: The Wyse 700 gets its characters from wy700.rom, not mda.rom.
I forgot about that actually. Thank you for the correction. Will be editing my post shortly.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

PCem_Tester wrote:You are missing the MDA video adapter font (mda.rom) hence the CGA adapter isn't working properly. This also effects the Hercules, MDA, and other CGA-based video adapters (like Plantronics ColorPlus) though it doesn't effect VGA and EGA adapters.

Try to put 'mda.rom' (or if you didn't have it, try to search online for it) in the "roms" folder and it should work again.
That was it, thank you. :)

Feature suggestion: If this rom is missing, have it display a note?
dreamer

Post by dreamer »

It would be useful to have all the rom files required for your current configuration listed in a new tab or maybe a completely new window that lists all the files that PCem looks or might look for and their status (with checksums even to make sure it's the right file).