[PATCH] linking stdc++ and libgcc statically in windows

Discussion of development and patch submission.
roytam1

[PATCH] linking stdc++ and libgcc statically in windows

Post by roytam1 »

I think it is better to link stdc++ and libgcc statically (using "-static-libgcc -static-libstdc++" switch) to reduce redist package size.

Code: Select all

--- Makefile.mingw.orig	2014-11-17 20:41:02 +0800
+++ Makefile.mingw	2014-11-18 10:39:49 +0800
@@ -23,14 +23,14 @@
 	win-status.o win-time.o win-video.o x86seg.o x87.o xtide.o pc.res
 FMOBJ = dbopl.o
 SIDOBJ = convolve.o envelope.o extfilt.o filter.o pot.o sid.o voice.o wave6581__ST.o wave6581_P_T.o wave6581_PS_.o wave6581_PST.o wave8580__ST.o wave8580_P_T.o wave8580_PS_.o wave8580_PST.o wave.o

-LIBS = -mwindows -lwinmm -lalut -lopenal32 -lddraw -ldinput -ldxguid -ld3d9 -lstdc++
+LIBS = -mwindows -lwinmm -lalut -lopenal32 -lddraw -ldinput -ldxguid -ld3d9 -static-libstdc++ -static-libgcc

PCem.exe: $(OBJ) $(FMOBJ) $(SIDOBJ)
-	$(CC) $(OBJ) $(FMOBJ) $(SIDOBJ) -o "PCem.exe" $(LIBS)
+	$(CPP) $(OBJ) $(FMOBJ) $(SIDOBJ) -o "PCem.exe" $(LIBS)

all : PCem.exe

clean :
 	del *.o
truth

Re: [PATCH] linking stdc++ and libgcc statically in windows

Post by truth »

That doesn't work on newer mingw/gcc installations.
roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

truth wrote:That doesn't work on newer mingw/gcc installations.
Any error messages?

BTW It works for me. ;)

/d/PCem/src$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=D:\msys\mingw\bin\gcc.exe
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=d:/msys/mingw/bin/../libexec/gcc/i686-w64-mingw32/4.8.1/lto-wrapper.exe
Target: i686-w64-mingw32
Configured with: ../source/gcc-4.8.1/configure --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --target=i686-w64-mingw32 --host=i686-w64-mingw32 --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-nls --disable-multilib --prefix=/home/hendrik/mingw/target/mingw-w64-i686 --with-sysroot=/home/hendrik/mingw/target/mingw-w64-i686 --with-mpc=/home/hendrik/mingw/target/packages/gcc/packages/mpc/mpc-1.0.1-x86_64 --with-mpfr=/home/hendrik/mingw/target/packages/gcc/packages/mpfr/mpfr-3.1.2-x86_64 --with-gmp=/home/hendrik/mingw/target/packages/gcc/packages/gmp/gmp-5.1.2-x86_64 --with-host-libstdcxx='-lstdc++ ' --with-cloog=/home/hendrik/mingw/target/packages/gcc/packages/cloog/cloog-0.18.0-x86_64 --with-isl=/home/hendrik/mingw/target/packages/gcc/packages/isl/isl-0.11.1-x86_64 --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-threads=win32 --enable-fully-dynamic-string
Thread model: win32
gcc version 4.8.1 (GCC)
/d/PCem/src$ ld --version
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.23.2
Copyright 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.
truth

Post by truth »

Test with gcc 4.8.2 to verify and by compiling on native win32 (not cross-compiling on another OS).
roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

truth wrote:Test with gcc 4.8.2 to verify and by compiling on native win32 (not cross-compiling on another OS).
I wonder if you miss this part:

PCem.exe: $(OBJ) $(FMOBJ) $(SIDOBJ)
-   $(CC) $(OBJ) $(FMOBJ) $(SIDOBJ) -o "PCem.exe" $(LIBS)
+   $(CPP) $(OBJ) $(FMOBJ) $(SIDOBJ) -o "PCem.exe" $(LIBS)
therock247uk

Post by therock247uk »

What would be nice is a pcem build that requires no external dll's but the main problem is ppl not including them in builds (not sure the real reason why) distributing it with out the dlls is useless you may as well not bother at all as its very version dll specific you cant just get them from the internet and expect it to work. unless you have the mingw dirs in your system path (worst thing you can ever do)
Last edited by therock247uk on Tue 18 Nov, 2014 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

therock247uk wrote:What would be nice is a pcem build that requires no external dll's but the main problem is ppl not including them in builds (not sure the real reason why) distributing it with out the dlls is useless you may as well not bother at all as its very version dll specific you cant just get them from the internet and expect it to work.
yeah.

For now I can link libalut statically as well (but it requires exporting symbols from EXE(which may look a bit odd) or modifying alut.h NOT to put anything in ALUT_API macro) so PCem will require openal32.dll only.

for odd-but-easy way, modifying soundopenal.c Adding:

#define ALUT_BUILD_LIBRARY
before

#include <AL/alut.h>
place libalut.a to $LIBPATH and thats it.
truth

Post by truth »

It is documented on Vogons that newer versions of mingw/gcc will not build against static runtime libraries. Furthermore, statically compiling certain libraries will break multithreading operations. This is also documented.
roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

truth wrote:It is documented on Vogons that newer versions of mingw/gcc will not build against static runtime libraries. Furthermore, statically compiling certain libraries will break multithreading operations. This is also documented.
I'd file bug report to such libraries instead. :P
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

The thing that confuses me about this is that my builds always have stdc++ and libgcc linked statically, and only OpenAL linked dynamically, using the same Makefile as everyone else. What am I doing differently?
truth

Post by truth »

The c/c++ runtimes may be dynamically linked but located in another directory than pcem (win32), such as the /bin directory of mingw which is typically a directory in the user's PATH. At least this is my experience with the newer gcc versions and I could verify again. I use gcc 4.6.x to avoid the issue. Further, the gcc 4.8.x has bugs, including the problem in defaulting to at least one parameter which breaks some existing software, the same software which builds correctly with older gcc versions.

I haven't tested the possibility of whether the runtimes are linking statically yet requiring a dynamic link, too (in the newer gcc versions). One method is to copy the files to a system without mingw and see if the expected error occurs.
ZummiGummi

Post by ZummiGummi »

Just wanted to say, that using roytam1's instructions, I was able to compile PCEM, to only require OpenAL32.dll. So thank you.