[Patch] Intel Advanced/ZP

EluanCM

[Patch] Intel Advanced/ZP

Post by EluanCM »

This patch adds support for the Intel Advanced/ZP (Zappa) motherboard for Socket 5.

It is similar to the Advanced/EV (Endeavor) board, but has a few nice differences like the BIOS supporting CD-ROM booting (only in the First Boot Device position) and having no non-emulated on-board video/audio cluttering the Setup.
Since the BIOS for this model is pickier than the one from Endeavor, I've also added the National Semiconductor PC87306 SIO to avoid diagnostic errors during POST. The code from 86Box was used as a base for this and heavily modified. I've also altered the Endeavor to use the PC87306, which is what the BIOS expects (but this won't make much difference.)

The BIOS files for this model, as is the case with the Endeavor, are available from any mirror of the old Intel FTP site, just extract the bios update .exe twice.

PS: the forum software says that the .diff extension is not allowed
Attachments
zappa_ns_2017_12_21.diff.txt
(33.17 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
waltje

Re: [Patch] Intel Advanced/ZP

Post by waltje »

EluanCM wrote:This patch adds support for the Intel Advanced/ZP (Zappa) motherboard for Socket 5.

It is similar to the Advanced/EV (Endeavor) board, but has a few nice differences like the BIOS supporting CD-ROM booting (only in the First Boot Device position) and having no non-emulated on-board video/audio cluttering the Setup.
Since the BIOS for this model is pickier than the one from Endeavor, I've also added the National Semiconductor PC87306 SIO to avoid diagnostic errors during POST. The code from 86Box was used as a base for this and heavily modified. I've also altered the Endeavor to use the PC87306, which is what the BIOS expects (but this won't make much difference.)

The BIOS files for this model, as is the case with the Endeavor, are available from any mirror of the old Intel FTP site, just extract the bios update .exe twice.

PS: the forum software says that the .diff extension is not allowed
This PC87306 code was very obviously taken from the 86Box Project.

This is fine, but please leave file headers intact and credit the projects and/or authors while posting such patches, thanks.

Sarah: please use the original file and adapt as needed.
EluanCM

Post by EluanCM »

waltje wrote: This PC87306 code was very obviously taken from the 86Box Project.
Yes, I said it expressively in my post, can you read? Battler himself told me in the past that 86box had this code.
waltje wrote: This is fine, but please leave file headers intact and credit the projects and/or authors while posting such patches, thanks.

Sarah: please use the original file and adapt as needed.
Again, can you read? Have you read the patch?

Code: Select all

+/*
+	National Semiconductor PC87306 SIO
+	Based on the work for 86Box by Miran Grca, <mgrca8@gmail.com>
+	Modified by Eluan Costa Miranda <eluancm@gmail.com
+*/
Can you tell me where the credit is removed?
I've adapted it to PCem's architecture and guidelines, while making it behave a little more like the documentation says. This is not just renaming functions to make it work in PCem. This is a VERY simple chip and anyone could emulate it in a few hours of work, but improving in what already exists is always a better option. Stop being a PITA, please.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

Excellent work, EluanCM! This is great to see, and something I've been looking forward to ever since you first brought up your interest in it many months ago. Thanks for sticking with it. Hopefully Sarah will commit this patch after she returns from her much-deserved break... :)
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Committed at rev 1056 (sans 86box code).
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

Loving this, and the recent PB570/CL emulation as well, thank you!
EluanCM

Post by EluanCM »

Thanks, Sarah! Sorry for that bit, won't do it again.
leilei

Post by leilei »

I couldn't locate the exact bios rom the patch needs, but the zappa upgrade for Gateway seems to work with an odd FDC issue. Just throwing this screenshot out there since amibios oem logos are cute and stirring interest into more possible OEM model featurecreep
Attachments
pcemzappagateway.jpg
pcemzappagateway.jpg (69.6 KiB) Viewed 11552 times
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

What Gateway 2000 model is that PC leilei? I would be a nice add. I love those logos too!
jznomoney

Post by jznomoney »

I am using the packard bell 570 machine and no matter what soundcard or use the rtl8029as network card I get an error about a pci irq conflict. There is no way to get any of these devices to work. Am I missing something?

wrong thread sorry
EluanCM

Post by EluanCM »

leilei wrote: Wed 21 Feb, 2018 6:10 am I couldn't locate the exact bios rom the patch needs, but the zappa upgrade for Gateway seems to work with an odd FDC issue. Just throwing this screenshot out there since amibios oem logos are cute and stirring interest into more possible OEM model featurecreep
What is the FDC issue? This Gateway upgrade BIOS seems to work fine for me, the only difference I've noticed is that the bios has no IrDA settings.
One thing that I didn't get to work is the MR BIOS for Zappa. I've not tried to locate the entry point in the BIOS file in the distribution to see if it maps correctly, but the bios flasher just exists to DOS when trying to input anything.
My original Zappa board had a OEM logo from a local computer maker that I lost after a bios upgrade. I've been unable to locate it after years :/
leilei

Post by leilei »

It's the Gateway P5 line from P5-100 up IIRC.

The latest commit might've fixed the FDC as both the FDC and HDD show up now. Previously only one or the other would show