Community Discord?

Support and general discussion.
gen_angry

Community Discord?

Post by gen_angry »

Hello,

I'm just wondering if there's a PCem Discord community somewhere (and if so, an invite link).
leilei

Re: Community Discord?

Post by leilei »

If there is one it should be owned by Sarah. I'm not a fan of fan-owned emulation discords for the general grief they bring and would liekly serve as a huge distraction towards time spent working on the emulator.
Last edited by leilei on Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

leilei wrote: Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:47 pm If there is one it should be owned by Sarah. I'm not a fan of fan-owned emulation discords for the general grief they bring.
Agreed.

I read some talk about an IRC server before - while I spent decades on different IRC servers, Discord is really the 'IRC of the 21st century' when it comes to a community chat. I was mostly curious if the community itself moved from this IRC server to Discord like every other server I was previously on.

edit: to add to your edit - having a private dedicated developers chan could help considerably when it comes to brainstorming up a solution for a problem, as well as having an actual separate chat channel for the community itself. I'm part of one for a browser game that I play and the dev channel has been a huge help when I got stuck on something and needed ideas. But that's just my own opinion :)
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

I've never used Discord. My experience of using IRC in the past is that I find it _incredibly_ distracting.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

SarahWalker wrote: Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:08 pm I've never used Discord. My experience of using IRC in the past is that I find it _incredibly_ distracting.
Think of Discord as IRC but with far better mobile support, webhook support (so sites like github will push an update commits/note/revision that gets posted to a channel feed), access/channel controls that doesn't actually suck, and a decent in-browser client. The standalone PC client has additional stuff like video/voice chat, twitch.tv integration for streamers. They market towards gamers in general but it seems that every type of community has picked up on it.

I dunno, I was poking around to see if there was an official one but your post suggests no :) tbf, I have no interest in one that isn't run by or endorsed by you.
leilei

Post by leilei »

I haven't been into a chatroom for nearly a decade until Discord started appearing because I dislike the IRC protocol so much for duct-taped nick enforcement systems, netsplits, and creepy features.

The worst part of Discord is sometimes it'll trip an anti-bot check and want 2factor, and you have to opt-out of the annoying @everyone notifications.
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

I think this forum is enough for our use. It's easier to see and submit reports and patches here then on Discord.