Guide to getting networking working?

Support and general discussion.
A. Naim

Guide to getting networking working?

Post by A. Naim »

It's been a long time since the 90s. Also, Win98 SE doesn't detect any network card, and I don't know how to fix it. I selected "Novell NE2000" in the configuration. No driver I try works.
alexmocanu

Re: Guide to getting networking working?

Post by alexmocanu »

I think the driver you are looking for is "NE2000 Compatible" and should be available in Windows. Since the emulated card it's not PNP aware it must be added and configured manually (irq, address, etc.) I got it working using the PCAP method, SLIRP never worked for me.

This is how I got it to work (ignore the OSX graphics stuff, I'm at work and using this with WINE to get the screenshots)

1. First install npcap from here: https://nmap.org/npcap/. Make sure you select WinPcap compatibility, otherwise it won't work.

2. Select the Novel NE2000 adapter in PCem (screenshot: https://monosnap.com/file/hwQbTWpmmgc3a ... cV0Bp30euL)

3. Click on the nic settings button and copy the IRQ and address values (screenshot: https://monosnap.com/file/ilMw0Wg6YWTWU ... 4oiflHWwg3). By default they are IRQ = 10, Address = 0x300. This is important because the emulated card is not PNP aware and you will have to set these values manually later.

4. Set network type (SLIRP or PCAP). If you are using PCAP also select the physical network interface you are binding it to. (screenshot:
https://monosnap.com/file/QGdb1X5BpBHV2 ... tWDebxACHx). If you are using PCAP please make sure you are using a wired interface, Wifi are kind of hit and miss...

5. Install Windows 95/98/whatever as usual

6. If the "NE2000 Compatible" adapter doesn't appear in the Device Manager then go to Control Panel and use the "Add New Hardware" applet to add it (use auto detection or add it manually, whichever method works for you). You might have to restart your virtual machine after this step ends.

7. Once the step above is done and the machine restarted, open the device manager, right click on the "NE2000 Compatible" device, select "Properties" and in the dialog that appears click the manual configuration button (screenshot: https://monosnap.com/file/zRJxnuOFy2qL9 ... nUucrFhDl9).

8. Set IRQ to 10 and address to 300 like in this screenshot: https://monosnap.com/file/LfnbPm9pqun39 ... U73CFEOgfs then click "OK" and shut down the virtual machine when prompted.

10. boot up the machine then right click on the "Network Neighborhood" icon, select properties and add the TCP/IP Protocol (ADD -> Protocol -> Microsoft TCP/IP) screenshot: https://monosnap.com/file/oPm4yXiirGHq4 ... HQT3nRv76J . You might have to restart the machine again

11. Boot the machine (if needed) and have fun. Networking should be up and running now.
Glantz

Post by Glantz »

Hi Alex, is that driver available for download anywhere? I can't seem to find it in Windows. Trying to do the same as Naim.
alexmocanu

Post by alexmocanu »

Are you referring to the driver for "NE2000 Compatible"? It's included in Windows (at least since Win 95 OSR2, that's the earliest version of Windows I played with)

I just ran the "Add New Hardware" applet from Control Panel, I let it finish the scan and it detected and installed the network card. After that I put the correct IRQ and Address values and it worked.
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

Thanks for the guide. Haven't gotten around to following it yet. :)
VenoMpie

Post by VenoMpie »

Is there a chance to make a quick patch for the NE2000 adapter where you can define a MAC address (currently I can only set the address and IRQ)?
It seems to always have the same mac address. SLiRP doesn't work so I am using NPCAP but when it connects to my DHCP server it always obtains the same IP address because the mac address on separate PCEM VM's are the same so we can't play against each other over the network. Even setting the IP address manually doesn't work because then the hosts can't see the VM's and vice versa.
I can probably branch and write it myself (as I know the release cycle for PCEM is something like 6 months - 1 year and I can't wait that long) but it would be more of a hassle as now I need to get into a code base that I'm not familiar with, blah blah blah.
VenoMpie

Post by VenoMpie »

Just went through the code quick, I see it's statically set. Textbox in the network adapter settings which changes the variable and it should work :P

NE2000.c line 52/53

//THIS IS THE DEFAULT MAC ADDRESS .... so it wont place nice with multiple VMs. YET.
uint8_t maclocal[6] = {0xac, 0xde, 0x48, 0x88, 0xbb, 0xaa};
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

Followed the guide - Couldn't connect with PCAP, so used SLIRP. Am now browsing internet. Internet confusing and full of unknown protocols. /humour
SeanB

Post by SeanB »

Has anyone tried to get networking working in Win 3.1?

Here's what I've tried:

Npcap is installed and NE2000 selected in PCEm, although I have tried both PCAP and SliRP. I'm using Wi-Fi on the host machine, so I'm assuming SLiRP is a better option.

I've installed Netware VLM client 1.21. This does seem to recognize the NE2000 adapter. Novell NetWare (v4.0) is set as Network in Windows.

I then installed Trumpet Winsock 3.0 and Netscape 4.08. Netscape is giving me a DNS error when I try to load a page.

Do I need to run WfW 3.11 instead? Is there any benefit to doing so?
EluanCM

Post by EluanCM »

Works fine for me with with SLiRP + Windows 3.11 FWG + MS TCP/IP. No extra configuration needed, no quirks.
Screenshot from 2018-02-24 18-10-22.png
Screenshot from 2018-02-24 18-10-22.png (161.14 KiB) Viewed 29431 times
But does not work at all with a DOS packet driver and any TCP/IP stack (no DHCP response)
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

Still doesn't work for me.
SeanB

Post by SeanB »

Thanks Eluan. That did get me connected!

I had to run out before I could finish testing, but I couldn't connect to pcem-emulator.co.uk. Is that because I need to install the 128-bit SSL add-on?
ruthan

Post by ruthan »

Windows 98 networking is running fine for me, what about OS/2 4 ? Was somebody successful ?