CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Support and general discussion.
Solstar82

CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by Solstar82 »

I-m trying to load various cd rom images, and none of them works, after i select the image, i have none in the cdro mdrive in windows 98, and the gui on top of the emu window won't respond to any command. The emulator still works but i cannot even exit the emu this way, i have to terminate the task
omarsis81

Re: CD rom images will not load and freeze the GUI

Post by omarsis81 »

Is that image from a game?
Can you mount those images with another emulator outside PCem? Like Alcohol or Demon Tools?
leilei

Post by leilei »

I'd assume this is the WX mouse locking problem with the window focus, reproducible by doing this:

- open a CD-rom or shader manager window
- Tab to another window
- Close another window
- Witness your mouse get stuck in the center of the PCem window
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

omarsis81 wrote: Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:07 pm Is that image from a game?
Can you mount those images with another emulator outside PCem? Like Alcohol or Demon Tools?
its a demo cd found in many magazine of 1996.

image works fine with vmware and yes, even with 86box no problem
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

leilei wrote: Thu 07 Jun, 2018 10:39 pm I'd assume this is the WX mouse locking problem with the window focus, reproducible by doing this:

- open a CD-rom or shader manager window
- Tab to another window
- Close another window
- Witness your mouse get stuck in the center of the PCem window
i tried that and the mouse won't get stuck..it just won't load any iso and i cannot access the interface anymore, i cannot even close the mu by pressing X on the top roght corner. i have to force close it with task manager

using same config and same hd image instead works fine on 86box

here's a video i made that shows the issue

https://youtu.be/kCMEkr4cI7M
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

...nobody?
shermanp

Post by shermanp »

Have you tried creating a new config? There may be some issue with the current config file you're using that's causing a problem.

I am unable to reproduce the issue here. CD images load just fine for me.
Van Slanzar de Fanel

Post by Van Slanzar de Fanel »

I've been having a similar issue. It's the whole reason I registered with this forum. Using v14, in either MS-DOS 6.22 or Win98SE in DOS mode, tried with multiple CD drivers, everything is detected correctly, but trying to access the disk causes PCEm to crash. When I boot Win98SE fully it works just fine. It also worked off the Win98SE boot disk when installing it. But that's it. Checking the log gets the error: Device failed to request command.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Van Slanzar de Fanel wrote: Fri 13 Jul, 2018 1:30 am I've been having a similar issue. It's the whole reason I registered with this forum. Using v14, in either MS-DOS 6.22 or Win98SE in DOS mode, tried with multiple CD drivers, everything is detected correctly, but trying to access the disk causes PCEm to crash. When I boot Win98SE fully it works just fine. It also worked off the Win98SE boot disk when installing it. But that's it. Checking the log gets the error: Device failed to request command.
You said you tried with different CD drivers, are you refering to those drivers you load in CONFIG.SYS?
Van Slanzar de Fanel

Post by Van Slanzar de Fanel »

omarsis81 wrote: Fri 13 Jul, 2018 6:25 pm
Van Slanzar de Fanel wrote: Fri 13 Jul, 2018 1:30 am I've been having a similar issue. It's the whole reason I registered with this forum. Using v14, in either MS-DOS 6.22 or Win98SE in DOS mode, tried with multiple CD drivers, everything is detected correctly, but trying to access the disk causes PCEm to crash. When I boot Win98SE fully it works just fine. It also worked off the Win98SE boot disk when installing it. But that's it. Checking the log gets the error: Device failed to request command.
You said you tried with different CD drivers, are you refering to those drivers you load in CONFIG.SYS?
Yes, that's correct. I had a MSCDEX install disk that included a driver from LG, and I also used the well known OakCDRom.sys and VIDE-cdd.sys. All with MSCDEX 2.23 or 2.25. The config.sys driver loads. MSCDEX assigns a drive letter to it. I'm able to switch to that drive, but any access (even as simple as a dir) and I see no access on the machine window, and in a few seconds, PCEm just shuts down, leaving me with only that error in the log.