Would like to add my own ROMs to PCem for personal use.

Discussion of development and patch submission.
robman501a

Would like to add my own ROMs to PCem for personal use.

Post by robman501a »

Hello,
How can I add my own ROM's to PCem?
I have some older systems that I would like to dump the ROM over to PCem, somehow.
The thing is that they both have an ATI chipset and an AMD CPU.
One is an HP DC5750 SFF (Athlon x2) and the other is an older COMPAQ (Sempron).
Lastly, what's the newest CPU. chipset that PCem can go up to?
I also have an older nVidia Quadro AGP card that I was wondering if I can transfer over.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Would like to add my own ROMs to PCem for personal use.

Post by SarahWalker »

You're looking _much_ too recent. The most recent CPUs supported are the Pentium MMX and Cyrix 6x86MX, both from 1997. Most recent chipsets and graphics cards are of similar vintage.
robman501a

Post by robman501a »

Ahh, okay. Thanks! Yeah, I don't have anymore parts laying around from that decade.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Any accelerated graphics take a ton of dedication to emulate as well and that Quadro mentioned is several generations of technology progress.

The best OEM computers you can equate PCem's support to are the Falcon Northwest Mach V systems up to around Dec 1997 (Award-based PMMX233 w/ Obsidian V1s) with a late Voodoo2 and/or AudioPCI 128 bolted into them. Probably the only parts not emulated of the Mach Vs are the modems, the DB50XG daughterboard and the newer SCSI devices (much of their price inflation were related to the dual fast SCSI drives)

Micron Millennia systems around that time also match pretty well (Stealth3d 2000s, Virge DXs, Monster 3Ds and AWE32s)
robman501a

Post by robman501a »

Ahh... gotcha. :)
I can remember all the specs of my family's first home computer quite well. 486 DX2 66, Trident VLB card, SB16, 6GB HDD Fujitsu overlay, DOS 6.22, Win3.11g.
Later on I did pickup an ASUS P2B-DS motherboard but that got scrapped before I got in to PC emulation.
I also remember having an Matrox Millennium GPU (PCI?).

Would be neat to emulate the old family Dell Dimension 4100 (ATI Rage 128, SB Live!, WinME) but that was probably way to new for PCem. ;)
Just a 933 MHz CPU would be way to much demand probably on the host. ;P lol
TheMechanist

Post by TheMechanist »

sorry for hijacking this thread .. I found a lot of ROMs for vintage computers .. is it possible to add them by my own or are the emulated machines hard wired in PCem?
leilei

Post by leilei »

It's possible - if you're willing to write code and program the chipsets they expect. You can't simply just drop any rom in and expect it to function.