Issues on VMware Workstation

Support and general discussion.
Araripe

Issues on VMware Workstation

Post by Araripe »

I know, it's rather weird, but for some reason I decided to install PCem into a virtual machine for a few in-depth tutorial videos, because my own computer is a mess (file and folder-wise). It runs just fine, of course, except for a reason: the mouse cursor is insanely fast and uncontrollable. Is there a way to fix that? A driver or something that i could install, maybe a certain setting that has to be changed? It only happens inside vmware, on both Windows and Linux. On Windows, it's uncontrollable, and on Linux it doesn't even show up (the cursor).

Thanks in advance,
szadycbr

Re: Issues on VMware Workstation

Post by szadycbr »

Hi, dont know what you mean exactely, but i often have similar problems in Vbox when mouse integration is on, dont know about vmware but you can try to turn it off, if such option exists on vmware.
Araripe

Post by Araripe »

The mouse cursor inside PCem is insanely fast, to the point that it's unusable. And when I am using PCem on Linux under VMware, it doesn't even work (no cursor at all).
darksabre76

Post by darksabre76 »

I have a similar issue when using PCem across a remote desktop session. It has something to do with how the UI framework handles cursor inputs for some reason.
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

I turn my polling rate down to 125 for pcem
Araripe

Post by Araripe »

I will try that. Thank you!
And yea, it also happened to me on a remote desktop session to a Windows Server 2016 client.
EDIT: Still uncontrollable :c
tk421

Post by tk421 »

I did considerable testing on VMware Workstation Player without having any mouse issues. I admit I ran PCem in a Windows XP VM. There were no compatability issues with XP. Any issues I have running PCem in a VM are based on the fact that my laptop is not very fast, and not with VMware. I do enough work with VMware to know that the Player version runs PCem just fine, versions 11 through 14.

I may give it another try to see if I can find the problem you have pointed out, but I never had that issue. I have always been very fond of PCem, as it solves so many PC compatibility issues. For me, the question is finding a computer CPU, preferably a laptop CPU, that can run PCem on full performance without slowing down.
Araripe

Post by Araripe »

Windows 7, 10 and Server 2012,2016 and 2019 doesn't seem to deal well with mouse support for PCem under VMware Workstation (way too fast, not even lowering DPI or polling rate helped).
Also tried with a couple Linux VMs and the mouse doesn't even work at all (ArchLinux, Manjaro and Ubuntu).
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

vmware\fusion\preferences from the gaming drop down, click always optimize mouse for games. If the always optimize mouse for games doesn't work, click never optimize mouse for games. that's all I got buddy besides maybe lowering resolution/new mouse/reinstalling host. =p
Araripe

Post by Araripe »

I tried all of that, no luck so far. Time to install Windows Xp 64 bits and hope it works.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

Araripe, i was right , it is fault of mouse integration, seamless in VMware, it is not designed for gaming, etc. i run it on VMware player 15 for linux, and i installed ubuntu, then compiled PCem and you were right, no mouse at all. you must find .vmx configuration file from your mahine and add at the end the line "vmmouse.present="FALSE" " , when next time you start VM in a window, ubuntu will load and during loading mouse will be captured right away, but to my disappointment when desktop appears you can move mouse outside VM window, bu not to worry integration is off, and when you gonna click on VM window it will take few clicks (3,4) to "catch it" by VM , and PCem is working fine with mouse, but if you do ctrl-end undock mouse from PCem and move cursor outside VM window you lost it again, so just click few times to get it back. i tryed on full screen to avaid that but it did get messed even worse, but it works in a window, and once PCem grabs mouse it will not "escape".
Like i said, mouse integration is a problem, VMware is not designed for that kind of use.
Last edited by szadycbr on Thu 18 Oct, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Araripe

Post by Araripe »

I will try that, thank you!
Windows Server 2003 vm allowed me to use the mouse just fine, but it's a hella old system XD

EDIT:
I made a video of my issue:
https://youtu.be/rs_Vqdb5CE0
https://youtu.be/NSlEKWLuVgY (Linux)

EDIT 2:
Thank you a lot! Your fix worked for my Linux vm! https://youtu.be/q9wA2l09Q8Y

EDIT 3:
Didn't work on windows :c