Schneider Euro PC

Support and general discussion.
TheMechanist

Schneider Euro PC

Post by TheMechanist »

Hi folks,

I can't save BIOS settings, the machine always starts with "cleared" BIOS settings, especially with 640 kb memory, no disc drive and at 4.77 MHz clock speed.

Do you have any suggestions? I didn't discover that with other machines. Where does PCem (linux) save the BIOS settings?

Greetz
te_lanus

Re: Schneider Euro PC

Post by te_lanus »

Linux saves it under ~/.pcem/nvr/
TheMechanist

Post by TheMechanist »

... there are no save files for the machine hm ..
TheMechanist

Post by TheMechanist »

btw. in terms of accuracy .. comparing topbench results with pcem (v13) shows that the emulated machines are about 25% faster than the benched real machines, mainly because of faster memory access, cpu speed seems to be nearly exact ..
leilei

Post by leilei »

I've never found Topbench very reliable for any comparisons or benchmarking. My real computers, both fast and slow, would make matches with different generations entirely
TheMechanist

Post by TheMechanist »

leilei wrote: Thu 06 Dec, 2018 12:48 pm I've never found Topbench very reliable for any comparisons or benchmarking. My real computers, both fast and slow, would make matches with different generations entirely
I know that benchmarking is a very controversial topic, but other benchmarks seem to point in the same direction .. at least if emulating special machines with a well defined hardware - not like clones or generic systems - the results should be comparable .. but 25% higher results and more is imho a huge difference .. this is not criticism, I really like PCem and the hard work for it, it's just a hint ..

Any idea why pcem doesn't save nvr for euro pc?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Because I didn't know it had one?
TheMechanist

Post by TheMechanist »

SarahWalker wrote: Thu 06 Dec, 2018 6:45 pm Because I didn't know it had one?
oh, okay .. don't know much about the special hardware of vintage computers .. it's not nvr, but I guess the 8088 machines saved the bios settings somewhere somehow .. found a book (Early Home Computers) which tells about "eeprom with similar functions like cmos nvram" to save BIOS settings .. atm at every startup of any of the 8088 machines (PCem v13) it's necessary to enter time and date and stuff like drive settings ..
ruben_balea

Post by ruben_balea »

It has some kind of NVR and a clock too, the BIOS SETUP (Control+Alt+Esc) has time and date settings and says "Press ENTER-key to store information into SETUP-RAM"