Linux Hosts: A few general questions

Support and general discussion.
abk4523

Linux Hosts: A few general questions

Post by abk4523 »

I am new to PCem and have a few questions for the Linux hosts out there. I understand the Linux branch is still under development and there may not be enough support for us. I was just wondering what distros you have, what version of PCem you use, what software you use with it and how the performance is?
szadycbr

Re: Linux Hosts: A few general questions

Post by szadycbr »

abk4523 , hi there, i use now q4os the SID version on debian 10, PCem compiles fine on it, just add necessary tools (gcc,wxwidgets,make,etc.) . i am running it on horrible at this day and age i52410m and HD3000 display, i noticed that software backed renders Much faster and without any problems, while opengl on HD3000 cause some problems, but thats the fault of my ancient card :) Performace is generally same on linux and on windows, but somehow windows seems to handle it all better. i run PCem through Wine (4.0) as well, and there is no problems at all. And i like the pop-up menu in linux, just get use to it i guess, and i always expect it to be there :) version? V15 Rulezzzz!!! for now :) the K6 line gaved nice performace boost. What software i use? everything that you can not run on new systems, everything up to dx6 or dx7 on voodoo2, EX. castle wolfenstain works fine with last dx7 V2 driver.

PS. if PCem would have GPU with DX 9 or even 8 it would be win98 "fully compatible" he he :)
abk4523

Post by abk4523 »

Thanks for the reply. For the most part, PCem looks good, however, when you say "
PS. if PCem would have GPU with DX 9 or even 8 it would be win98 "fully compatible", what do you mean? Does PCem have problems with Windows 98? Are there graphics issues, sound, speed? And something I should have mentioned in my original post. I noticed there were two roms mentioned on the website. What are the differences between the two and what are the pros and cons of each? Also are there others? Also, I have some 16 bit games which would not run on other emulators, Dosbox for example. Have you or anyone else tried some?
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

abk4523 , uhh, that was just joke/thought, there is nothing wrong with win 98 it works great with PCem, PCem has no gpu to support dx8 and dx9 as far as i know, and dx9c is last ver. that works with win98. That is just a wish for far future, irrelevant, for now PCem beats every known emulator, there is nothing better and by the look of it, there might never be need for aything else, so PCem will stay on the top for very long time. Dont know which two versions you talk about, and the games? just try , 99% should work, i think :)
PCem was born 12 years ago and from 7 years now it did make big leap in developement and is fully grown emulator, by all this years tons of software was tested, and you are welcome to do more tests :) and let everyone knows if there is an ORIGINAL copy of software that is not working :)
abk4523

Post by abk4523 »

The two versions (roms) I mentioned were Generic clone XT BIOS ROMs and XTIDE Universal BIOS from this page: https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/downloads.html. Are they no longer needed? I also would like a few other opinions, but that is nothing you can control.