Norton Commander 5 Install program does not work

Support and general discussion.
Battler

Norton Commander 5 Install program does not work

Post by Battler »

Under an emulated Pentium, it starts, asks you to specify install path, then it freezes.

Under an emulated 486, it does not even start, just shows a run-time error R6003, - integer divide by 0.

Other information: installing from 1.44 MB floppy image to hard disk under MS-DOS 6.00.

Edit: Turns out the freeze is due to the installer not liking something in CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT as bypassing both fixed it, while whatever made it freeze, also made it freeze when I tried on Virtual PC 2007. However, the bug under the 486 emulation remains.

Also, QVIEW freezes on the x64 dynarec. Not sure about the x86 one, might happen there too, I just haven't tested it with the latest changes.

Edit: Just tested and both the integer divide by 0 at the Norton Commander 5 Install program and the QVIEW freeze are bugs specific to the x64 dynarec.

Edit: The Norton Commander 5 Install bug on the 486 was because it evidently can't run on a 486SX or lower, and needs at least a 486DX. On a 486DX it works even with x64 dynarec. QVIEW freeze however remains but I am going to try to find an older x64 GCC and compile the emulator with that (the GCC 4.9.x used by MSYS2 is way too strict and compares about some things MSYS1's GCC 4.8.1 never complains).

Edit: Made an x64 executable with 64-bit GCC 4.8.1, and QVIEW freezes there too.

Edit: i meant QVIEW all along, but for some reason wrote QEMU. I can provide a copy of QVIEW for DOS if needed.
ppgrainbow

Re: Norton Commander 5 Install program does not work

Post by ppgrainbow »

I sure hope that bug gets fixed soon. The bug is not present in Norton Commander v5.51 (released in 1999), the last version that supported MS-DOS. I tested it on a Award SiS 496/497 BIOS (486SX, 486SX2, 486DX, 486DX2 and 486DX4) and it found no problems. :)
Battler

Post by Battler »

- ppgrainbow: As I said, it's not present in 5.0 either. I just misinterpreted certain behaviors as emulator bugs.

However, QVIEW does freeze on x64 dynarec but not on x86 dynarec so that is a bug.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Rev 292 fixed the only bug I saw with Norton Commander 5.0 on the x86-64 recompiler, where it was complaining about corrupt source files. Didn't have any trouble with 486SX though.

What's QVIEW? Never heard of it before.
Battler

Post by Battler »

TomWalker wrote:Rev 292 fixed the only bug I saw with Norton Commander 5.0 on the x86-64 recompiler, where it was complaining about corrupt source files. Didn't have any trouble with 486SX though.

What's QVIEW? Never heard of it before.
A hex viewer for DOS. Here is a floppy image: http://citadel.ringoflightning.net/qview290.IMA . Just run QVIEW.EXE straight from the floppy. Works on x86 dynarec on both 486 and Pentium, but on x64 dynarec it seems to either freeze or cause the emulator to crash on 486 and freeze on Pentium.

Edit: Revision 292 fixes QVIEW freeze too.