Recommended Setups

Support and general discussion.
danaeckel

Recommended Setups

Post by danaeckel »

I have been playing around with this product for awhile after using Dosbox for the past couple of years, and from what I can tell it is amazing. There is a lot of hardware and many I'm not familiar with. I would like to know which hardware would work best for my situations. I still have all my software from my Windows 98, and Windows 3.1 days I would like to archive and use, more so like old games I never finished.
My hardware for my host system is an Inten i7 7700, nVidia Geforce 1080, 64GB ram and 1TB M.2.
I would like to setup a Windows 98 Guest that will run games like Riven, Quake 2, Diablo, Max Payne, stuff like that. Is networking pretty seamless?

Windows 3.11 would mainly be used as a DOS system running games like Duke 3D, Quake. I know I have some stuff that has VESA drivers, but not sure which card is most compatible with VESA. Also would networking be seamless?

Thank you for any help you could provide it would save me hours of trial and error.
omarsis81

Re: Recommended Setups

Post by omarsis81 »

Try to configure the FIC motherboard with a K6-III @ 400 with a Voodoo2 SLI and 128 or 256 MB RAM
All the games you mention should work OK with the exception of Max Payne that I think needs more powerful hardware
leilei

Post by leilei »

Note that Max Payne will have graphical issues with the Voodoo2 (real behavior). Graphic novels WILL be blurry and decals in maps won't combine properly, making their edges black. Also real behavior is that a K6-2+V2 won't be enough for Max. :)
danaeckel

Post by danaeckel »

Interesting, I wasn't familiar with Max Payne and the Voodoo issues. I would try the FIC mobo, but it doesn't appear to be in v15, I have the Shuttle board maxed out at 128MB, and for standard video card I am currently using the S3 Virge/DX. Not sure which card is the most capable.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

The Virge/DX is ok, it really doesn't matter for games as they switch to the Voodoo
As for the FIC mobo make sure you have the BIOS in the correct ROM folder
danaeckel

Post by danaeckel »

Would one of the other cards work better than the Virge/DX? From what I can tell that one is the most capable.
leilei

Post by leilei »

For 3D, there isn't (Virge emulation is in there more for playing some of the earliest pre-3dfx exclusive 3d game releases), but if you like high color depth in your high resolutions for the desktop you'll probably want to use one of the ATI Mach64 cards.