Tips for newbies

Discussion of development and patch submission.
Idgar

Tips for newbies

Post by Idgar »

Hi,
I'm trying to play with PCem code. Already succeded rasing up basic devenv with msys2 in windows as explained in a post at this forum (there are additional steps though as things probably changes since then).

Now I want to explore the code and for now I imported the project into eclipse but it is not perfect:
1. Some undefined references.
2. Issues with integrating msys2 to eclipse.
3. Wonder if debugger can work (tried to run but seems like it was stuck).

I will be happy for some tips:
1. Which IDE are you using for windows?
2. Is there any documentation for the code structure and main classes / functions?
3. How can one contribute to the project? Any bug issuing site? List of future tasks? Pull requests?

Thanks in advance!
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Tips for newbies

Post by SarahWalker »

Idgar wrote: Mon 07 Oct, 2019 5:04 pm I will be happy for some tips:
1. Which IDE are you using for windows?
I'm using Dev-C++, but that's because I'm used to it rather than it being any good.
2. Is there any documentation for the code structure and main classes / functions?
Not really, I'm not very good at documentation! It mainly depends on what you want to work on, device.h, mem.h, io.h and timer.h are the main headers for peripheral type stuff and probably aren't a bad place to start.
3. How can one contribute to the project? Any bug issuing site? List of future tasks? Pull requests?
There's not much formal. There's the Patches sub forum for submitting anything you've worked on, though some people have preferred to use pull requests in the past. If you're going to work on something big then I'd suggest posting something to this forum first in case it conflicts with anyone else, but otherwise work on what you like...
ruthan

Post by ruthan »

Hi,
i have few questions about code, because i dont find any wiki or something like that.
  1. PCem is written from the scratch or its based on fork of some other big code project like Bochs, Qemu?
  2. Its somewhere is described at least high level, how emulator works - in principle? How its possible to write SW, which is able to use real HW roms to simulate its calls? Because its fascinating.. it means you have to understand at very low level how computer works and reinvest the code, which is initialing bios and process its calls etc.
  3. Its somewhere at least some info about code structure, which sources files are for what, which are essestials etc?
  4. I downloaded source code, but i dont see anywhere that *.dev file to easy open it within Dev C++ as ready to go project? Its possible to provide something like that?
  5. In code is very few comments and long variable / functions self explaining names etc.. so author probably gifted by very unique memory, i can hardly image to work with something like that.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

1. From scratch.
2. See point 2 in the post above
3. No
4. No .dev file available at the moment.