PCem starred in my retrobattlestations contest entry

Support and general discussion.
gen_angry

PCem starred in my retrobattlestations contest entry

Post by gen_angry »

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlesta ... _son_ever/

Figured some of you might like this. Surprisingly, it runs like a champ through all them layers of virtualization. Using v16 with a 386DX/33, the fastest I could actually get with a dip from time to time. WinXP 'host'.

I tried Win2000 and Win98, both wouldn't run. Wasn't sure the latest version that would run on those OSes.
darksabre76

Re: PCem starred in my retrobattlestations contest entry

Post by darksabre76 »

That is one of the most wonderfully wacky setups I've seen. Bravo!
leilei

Post by leilei »

It *might* be possible to do a (forbidden, unsupported) DOSBox 0.74 Win95 guest to run DOSBox 0.74 with that emulator in there within a PCem Win98 guest. (Maybe, at the highest K6 you can run)

There's also the old "dosemu" to consider on the Linux guest side. oh how I don't miss those old "dosbox pointless, dosemu is faster!!! switch to linux to use best dos emulator!!!" days when it was really more like a VM, becoming irrelevant when CPUs became much faster and the necessity for replicating the timing is important for software compatibility, and the non-x86 architectures thing...
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

leilei wrote: Sat 29 Aug, 2020 12:19 am It *might* be possible to do a (forbidden, unsupported) DOSBox 0.74 Win95 guest to run DOSBox 0.74 with that emulator in there within a PCem Win98 guest. (Maybe, at the highest K6 you can run)

There's also the old "dosemu" to consider on the Linux guest side. oh how I don't miss those old "dosbox pointless, dosemu is faster!!! switch to linux to use best dos emulator!!!" days when it was really more like a VM, becoming irrelevant when CPUs became much faster and the necessity for replicating the timing is important for software compatibility, and the non-x86 architectures thing...
Not really, the Virtual PC hop killed all the performance. Best I got PCem running at is a 386DX/33 and even then it wasnt always 100%.

Maybe it's just the combination of hardware and settings but I really had no headroom at that point :(