HeadStart Explorer

Support and general discussion.
Banjo

HeadStart Explorer

Post by Banjo »

Does anyone know much about the HeadStart Explorer, an old XT from 1989? Would it be possible to emulate one using PCEm at some stage (obviously, the right patches and roms would be needed)?

Just asking because I had never heard of this PC before, but recently learned about it and am fascinated by it's custom OS and would love to fiddle with it someday! :)
omarsis81

Re: HeadStart Explorer

Post by omarsis81 »

Never heard of it either but according to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE0zuQnY-WU is boots DOS 3.1 and then it launches a GUI
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

omarsis81 wrote: Tue 06 Oct, 2020 12:49 pm Never heard of it either but according to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE0zuQnY-WU is boots DOS 3.1 and then it launches a GUI
Here is more info (with files that might be really helpful). Apparently, DOS and the OS were stored in the ROM.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Where is where? Haha. You forgot the link (don't paste any link to copyrighted files please)
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Last edited by Banjo on Sat 17 Oct, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

So... nobody knows any more about the system and possibility of emulating it?

I wasn't expecting it to be immediately emulated or anything, or even have it widely know about, as I'd never heard of the machine myself until now, but I just wondered if anyone who'd owned one had any fondness for it or desire to recreate it using PCem.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I believe we need to know what chipset the system uses and if there is a datasheet available to download to emulate it
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

It's an obscure machine. Odds are quite low that anyone on this forum had actually heard of it before you posted this, let alone had a burning desire to emulate it.