Strange graphic bugs when leaving games

Support and general discussion.
menobug

Strange graphic bugs when leaving games

Post by menobug »

Hey guys,

I have PCem with Windows 98 and Voodoo2 Graphics. Games work fine but when I leave and return to Windows I often have strange bugs in Windows GUI

Any idea about this?

Attachments
bug3.png
bug3.png (62.63 KiB) Viewed 9134 times
bug2.png
bug2.png (91 KiB) Viewed 9134 times
bug1.png
bug1.png (10.5 KiB) Viewed 9134 times
omarsis81

Re: Strange graphic bugs when leaving games

Post by omarsis81 »

Try using another 2D card
menobug

Post by menobug »

So when I have the S3 Virge/DX selected this is my 3D card? or my 2D card? Where to select 2D cards? When I play games they sometimes ask me which graphics adapter they should use and i can switch between S3 Virge/DX and Voodoo2. Is this 2D and 3D adapters then?
win2kgamer

Post by win2kgamer »

Looks like a bug in the S3 ViRGE driver you're using, you can try another 2D card such as the Trio64. The S3 ViRGE/DX and Voodoo2 are both 3D cards (though the ViRGE was infamously slow and isn't quite as feature-filled as the Voodoo cards were) and the ViRGE is your 2D card as well. If a game asks which card to use, I would highly recommend choosing the Voodoo.
menobug

Post by menobug »

Now I have the ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach64 GX) and can finally set Windows to higher resolutions (S3 Virge/DX was only able to 1024x768). But still the same bugs :|
Maybe get other drivers from internet? Windows98 found the new Mach64GX and installed drivers by itself
Attachments
bug5.png
bug5.png (98.74 KiB) Viewed 9109 times
bug4.png
bug4.png (87.84 KiB) Viewed 9109 times
win2kgamer

Post by win2kgamer »

I recall the Mach64GX having a few emulation issues last time I tested it but getting other drivers is always worth a try (ATi was not exactly known for 100% stable drivers back in the day).
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

menobug wrote: Tue 24 Nov, 2020 9:03 pm So when I have the S3 Virge/DX selected this is my 3D card? or my 2D card? Where to select 2D cards?
When configuring PCem before launching the emulated machine
Anyway, I have been using the Virge since always and I have no problem. You could change the driver in Windows 9x too
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

@menobug : Please read viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4
menobug

Post by menobug »

* What the effect of the bug was (ie more than "doesn't work")

With Virge/DX the graphicals glitches appear when exiting games. With Mach64GX is have them all the time.

* Description of the error, if any

Graphical glitches in windows98. the GUI has strange colors and artifacts, the items I can click (windows start button, files, folders) are somewhere on the screen where they should not be, text from folders is not under the folders anymore. Colors are completely messed up.

* What software was running on the emulator at the time

Windows 98 and random games started and exited

* What OS was running on the emulator at the time

Windows 98 SE

* What configuration was being used in the emulator

Socket 7 Shuttle HOT-557
Random Intel Pentium Models (sometimes MMX, sometimes not 166 - 233 mHZ)
128 GB RAM
S3 Virge/DX Voodoo2 Fast VLB/PCI (also tried ATI Graphics PRO Turbo Mach 64 GX.... even more problems here)
Sound Blaster AWE 32

* Whether the dynamic recompiler was being used

yes

* A screenshot of the issue, if possible

multiple screenshots in previous posts

* Any additional information that seems relevant

I tried drivers from stock-windows98 and downloaded from internet. both did not seem to make a difference
JonyP27

Post by JonyP27 »

I also was experiencing this bug before but found a workaround in that instead of using 24bit true color mode I switched to 16bit high color mode in the display settings. After that the problem was resolved.

I think it's a bug when using 24/32bit true color depth mode while using the S3 Virge and also the ATI Mach 64 GX, as I checked it too.
menobug

Post by menobug »

JonyP27 wrote: Wed 25 Nov, 2020 11:15 pm I also was experiencing this bug before but found a workaround in that instead of using 24bit true color mode I switched to 16bit high color mode in the display settings. After that the problem was resolved.

I think it's a bug when using 24/32bit true color depth mode while using the S3 Virge and also the ATI Mach 64 GX, as I checked it too.
thanks. that solved the problem. but strange that not all people have this problem
JosepMa

Post by JosepMa »

menobug wrote: Tue 24 Nov, 2020 9:03 pm So when I have the S3 Virge/DX selected this is my 3D card? or my 2D card? Where to select 2D cards? When I play games they sometimes ask me which graphics adapter they should use and i can switch between S3 Virge/DX and Voodoo2. Is this 2D and 3D adapters then?
Historical information:
The Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 cards where 3D Only cards. You had to have a 2D card that would handle the graphics, then connect the output of this card into the voodoo, and connect the output of the voodoo to the monitor.
Also, they had a limitation that the 3D could not be rendered into a window. It needed to work fullscreen always.

The Virge/DX card is a 2D and 3D card, but its 3D capabilities are worse than the voodoo. That's why 3D games might detect two 3D cards when running with a Virge/DX + Voodoo x setup.
menobug

Post by menobug »

Ok... now the desktop problems are solved. But I have another bug. I cannot say if its due to update to PCem v17 or not? (I think i also have the same bug in 86Box.) I also tried different systems:

- Shuttle HOT-557, Pentium 166, S3 Virge/DX Voodoo2, Windows98 SE
- GA-686GX, Pentium PRO, Voodoo 3-3000, Windows98 SE

But I have now strange bugs in Games and Menus I did not have before. Anyone has seen this before?
bug2.png
bug2.png (250.72 KiB) Viewed 8711 times
bug1.png
bug1.png (246.46 KiB) Viewed 8711 times
leilei

Post by leilei »

menobug wrote: Wed 02 Dec, 2020 1:51 pm - GA-686GX, Pentium PRO,
The Gigabyte Slot 1 board shouldn't be able to use the PPros...
menobug

Post by menobug »

leilei wrote: Wed 02 Dec, 2020 3:43 pm
menobug wrote: Wed 02 Dec, 2020 1:51 pm - GA-686GX, Pentium PRO,
The Gigabyte Slot 1 board shouldn't be able to use the PPros...
Sorry, i used Gigabyte with PII and Intel with PPro... I just wanted to say that I used different CPU / GPU combinations with the same result in graphic bugs
aitus95

Post by aitus95 »

menobug wrote: Wed 02 Dec, 2020 1:51 pm Ok... now the desktop problems are solved. But I have another bug. I cannot say if its due to update to PCem v17 or not? (I think i also have the same bug in 86Box.) I also tried different systems:

- Shuttle HOT-557, Pentium 166, S3 Virge/DX Voodoo2, Windows98 SE
- GA-686GX, Pentium PRO, Voodoo 3-3000, Windows98 SE

But I have now strange bugs in Games and Menus I did not have before. Anyone has seen this before?

bug2.png
bug1.png
I tried motocross madness with voodoo 3 3000 gpu without
voodoo 2 accelerator and they don't turn out that bug as in the picture
leilei

Post by leilei »

I couldn't reproduce it either, but maybe there's something up with the windows devices and the PCI bus if memory is getting corrupt like that mutually...

also avoid 3rd party drivers. I didn't test them so I don't know if they exhibit strange new bugs.
aitus95

Post by aitus95 »

another thing i know is that voodoo 2 are compatible up to directx 7, the games in question need directx 8, even a real card should have these problems, it will work but not correctly.
menobug

Post by menobug »

Ok. I found out something VERY strange :idea:

(The graphical bugs in Motocross Madness disappeared....)

For Need For Speed II: SE i found out:

When you install the game (Windows 98), by default there is only a "nfs2en.exe" in the install directory... The desktop shortcut where you start the game also links to this "nfs2en.exe".... but this is 2D-Software-Renderer (!) ==> Menus fine. Game fine.

BUT:

On the Install-CD there is a "nfs3ea.exe" which I just copied to the Install directory and started (3dfx version). The game runs much smoother and 3D accellerated but has the glitches/bugs in the menu and also (when you look close enough) ingame in trees, mountains, the sky etc......

Can anybody replicate this?
leilei

Post by leilei »

aitus95 wrote: Thu 03 Dec, 2020 8:23 pm another thing i know is that voodoo 2 are compatible up to directx 7, the games in question need directx 8, even a real card should have these problems, it will work but not correctly.
NFS2SE and Motocross Madness were made around DirectX5 and 6. DX8 wasn't until late 2000, and DX8 doesn't require DX8 drivers to be used (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to start 3DMark2001 on those cards)