Game Terracide won't recognize 3d card in pcem

Support and general discussion.
Solstar82

Game Terracide won't recognize 3d card in pcem

Post by Solstar82 »

Do you know why the game Terracide, on a win 98 pcem machine, doesn't detect the voodoo 2 card? game supposrts 3dfx cards and other kind of accelerators, but on pcem i only have software as video card, and in there it runs horribly
i tried turok, the first one, and runs fine, the 3dfx drivers are recognized properly
Cheez

Re: Game Terracide won't recognize 3d card in pcem

Post by Cheez »

Maybe it was only compatible with the first Voodoo? In addition, if that doesn't work you could give it a shot with S3 Virge
leilei

Post by leilei »

Given the poor reviews it had, I wouldn't doubt they'd have some hacky voodoo secondary D3D device detection routine that isn't futureproof for recognizing '3dfxv2' in 1997 (much like Jet Moto). V2 drivers work slightly different to V1 regarding D3D HAL behavior though...

On the other hand, it does work properly on a Banshee/V3....

EDIT: Tried the old netdemo and it detected a "[directx] Secondary Video card" immediately and used the Voodoo2 without any other rendering options provided. There's texture corruption though! (a regression)
Attachments
v2tcd.jpg
v2tcd.jpg (171.02 KiB) Viewed 5939 times
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

leilei wrote: Mon 14 Dec, 2020 2:48 am Given the poor reviews it had, I wouldn't doubt they'd have some hacky voodoo secondary D3D device detection routine that isn't futureproof for recognizing '3dfxv2' in 1997 (much like Jet Moto). V2 drivers work slightly different to V1 regarding D3D HAL behavior though...

On the other hand, it does work properly on a Banshee/V3....

EDIT: Tried the old netdemo and it detected a "[directx] Secondary Video card" immediately and used the Voodoo2 without any other rendering options provided. There's texture corruption though! (a regression)
for v3 you mean a voodoo 3 ? i cannot find either , voodoo3 or banshee, in pcem configuration
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

Cheez wrote: Mon 14 Dec, 2020 12:53 am Maybe it was only compatible with the first Voodoo? In addition, if that doesn't work you could give it a shot with S3 Virge
well, setting an s3 virge dx actually works! it is recognized as directx "3d hardware" in the game but it works.

Still bummed i cannot find banshee or voodoo 3 in the machine configuration, am i missing something?
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

you would need pcemv17 and the v3 rom files placed in pcem\roms\voodoo3_2000 or voodoo3_3000
Cheez

Post by Cheez »

Well, again, the timing of the game's release suggests it was made with the original Voodoo in mind and not Voodoo2, but you at least have something to fall back on if you aren't able to get it going.
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

Cheez wrote: Mon 14 Dec, 2020 7:45 pm Well, again, the timing of the game's release suggests it was made with the original Voodoo in mind and not Voodoo2, but you at least have something to fall back on if you aren't able to get it going.
Does something "bad" happen if i just switch from voodoo 2 to vo0doo1, driver wise?
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

tr.StEalTH wrote: Mon 14 Dec, 2020 6:20 pm you would need pcemv17 and the v3 rom files placed in pcem\roms\voodoo3_2000 or voodoo3_3000
Yeah i guessed so, and i guess it would be useless to ask it here where to get them..despite being 20+ years of video card manufacturers stuff :(
leilei

Post by leilei »

Solstar82 wrote: Tue 15 Dec, 2020 8:39 am Does something "bad" happen if i just switch from voodoo 2 to vo0doo1, driver wise?
It won't initialize the card and will just annoy you with warning popups. You'll want to cleanly uninstall the Voodoo2 driver (to rid of the display panel, driver .inf, etc) and then install a Voodoo Graphics driver for proper operation.
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

leilei wrote: Tue 15 Dec, 2020 11:39 am
Solstar82 wrote: Tue 15 Dec, 2020 8:39 am Does something "bad" happen if i just switch from voodoo 2 to vo0doo1, driver wise?
It won't initialize the card and will just annoy you with warning popups. You'll want to cleanly uninstall the Voodoo2 driver (to rid of the display panel, driver .inf, etc) and then install a Voodoo Graphics driver for proper operation.
but do you think it is worth it? I mean if i solved the issue with the s3 virge, do i really need to unisntall the voodoo 2 just for one game? ok maybe more than one but still the minority, in late 1998 i rememebr that almost all games by then supported voodoo 2
leilei

Post by leilei »

Well.... there's no texture corruption on the VG emulation, and the Voodoo Graphics is still multitudes faster than a ViRGE. Whether it's worth the trouble to play Terracide itself is up to you. Dealing with a little driver shuffle is mildly inconvenient compared to playing Terracide.
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

Can't remember what it was but one of my friends described a similar situation with a game that's coded in such a way it works with a Voodoo 1 and absolutely nothing else.