Emulation of IBM PS/1 Rapid Resume

Support and general discussion.
mt82

Emulation of IBM PS/1 Rapid Resume

Post by mt82 »

My first PC was an IBM PS/1 model 2133 (Tower). It came was 486SX 25MHz, 4MB RAM, 120 MB Harddrive (doublespaced from factory), MS-DOS 6/Win31.

It had a number of interesting, cool features. For instance "Rapid Resume" which was basically hibernation. So when you pressed the power button the machine didn't just turn off. Instead, it saved the memory and state to a file on disk before turning off. When you turned on the machine, it then resumed. IBM utility programs (in autoexec.bat etc.) took care of allocating the file to write to (and probably informing the BIOS code of the location).

It would be a super cool project to try and emulate this feature. Most of the stuff is in the IBM BIOS I guess, but it will require emulating some proprietary hardware. Like how the power button triggers the code to do the saving etc. I'm not sure exactly how it worked but I can see IBM got some patents on it (e.g. https://patents.google.com/patent/EP0518339A2/en). Seems NMI's were involved.

Is there anyone here interested in collaborating on such a project? I have the original IBM PS/1 software disks and BIOS. Guess first step is to get that up and running. Next would be to find out how to implement the code the hibernation functionality depends on.
omarsis81

Re: Emulation of IBM PS/1 Rapid Resume

Post by omarsis81 »

IBMULATOR exclusively emulates the PS/1. It would be interesting to see if that emulator has that specific feature
DoutorHouse

Re: Emulation of IBM PS/1 Rapid Resume

Post by DoutorHouse »

mt82 wrote: Sat 16 Jan, 2021 9:51 am My first PC was an IBM PS/1 model 2133 (Tower). It came was 486SX 25MHz, 4MB RAM, 120 MB Harddrive (doublespaced from factory), MS-DOS 6/Win31.

It had a number of interesting, cool features. For instance "Rapid Resume" which was basically hibernation. So when you pressed the power button the machine didn't just turn off. Instead, it saved the memory and state to a file on disk before turning off. When you turned on the machine, it then resumed. IBM utility programs (in autoexec.bat etc.) took care of allocating the file to write to (and probably informing the BIOS code of the location).

It would be a super cool project to try and emulate this feature. Most of the stuff is in the IBM BIOS I guess, but it will require emulating some proprietary hardware. Like how the power button triggers the code to do the saving etc. I'm not sure exactly how it worked but I can see IBM got some patents on it (e.g. https://patents.google.com/patent/EP0518339A2/en). Seems NMI's were involved.

Is there anyone here interested in collaborating on such a project? I have the original IBM PS/1 software disks and BIOS. Guess first step is to get that up and running. Next would be to find out how to implement the code the hibernation functionality depends on.
Do you think you could upload the original software somewhere? It would be great to have a complete set for the 2133. Thanks!