DOS games crashes win 98 if i choose PII as cpu

Support and general discussion.
Solstar82

DOS games crashes win 98 if i choose PII as cpu

Post by Solstar82 »

I usually use my pcem win 98 config with a p166 mmx and 64 mb of ram. after reading the topic "maximizing pcem performance", where many of you guys used to set up pII config correctly, being that i own a I9 9900k 3.6 ghz i decided to change the config to the mobo and PII cpu as you guys do. windows games runs nicely but any dos game i try to run win 98 crashes and i got this screen (that you can see attached here)

https://imgur.com/a/sELSeG5
unreal9010

Re: DOS games crashes win 98 if i choose PII as cpu

Post by unreal9010 »

On a real computer, switching mainboard (especially if it has a different chipset) would usually result in your OS no longer being able to boot or running with serious issues. I remember that back in the day when my PC Chips mainboard was approaching EOL after about 2 years in service and had to be replaced with a (better) board the vendor warned me to backup any relevant data I might had on my primary partition.
On PCem I was somehow able to migrate from FIC VA-503+ to Gigabyte. Windows made about a dozen of reboots and the whole procedure took nearly as long as reinstalling Windows. However, I was not able to migrate directly from FIC to Epox P55-VA as I kept getting the No OS Installed error. I then solved my issue by reinstalling Windows. I recommend you do the same.
unreal9010

Post by unreal9010 »

also, for some reason running any DOS application would crash Windows (95 or 98) on a Gigabyte board if you set your graphics card to ViRGE/DX and use the August 1997 drivers (otherwise known as the most stable drivers for that card that also come bundled with DirectX 6 install package). If you by any chance use that card and the particular driver version mentioned, then try installing a different ViRGE/DX driver and see if it works. It worked for me using early 1998 drivers.
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

unreal9010 wrote: Mon 08 Feb, 2021 8:29 am also, for some reason running any DOS application would crash Windows (95 or 98) on a Gigabyte board if you set your graphics card to ViRGE/DX and use the August 1997 drivers (otherwise known as the most stable drivers for that card that also come bundled with DirectX 6 install package). If you by any chance use that card and the particular driver version mentioned, then try installing a different ViRGE/DX driver and see if it works. It worked for me using early 1998 drivers.
yes that's my video card indeed s3 virge/dx. don't know the drivers but it could be. Any diea where i could find these drivers you are talking about?
unreal9010

Post by unreal9010 »

Try looking in your old magazine coverdiscs from around 1997-98 if you have any. Some of the drivers should still be available online at various 3rd party sources. I would try the spring 1998 version that is still available online at the moment. There is even a customized "superuni" ViRGE driver available. Try that one as well.
Personally I use the BIOS file of Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro card, an enhanced version of ViRGE/DX that was released in spring 1997 and which is clocked at 72 Mhz and has some additional multimedia capabilities. I use the drivers that came bundled with the Diamond SuperCD 1/98 and were specifically made for that card. They are dated January 1998 but will only work when the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro BIOS file is used otherwise the installer won't let you through due to the card not being detected by the system.
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

i found some but they all require dos to be installed/unzipped so i am still stuck :(
Cheez

Post by Cheez »

Have you already tried to simply use restart in ms-dos mode for any of this?
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

yes, tried that in dos mode only. games works fine there, but it's a bit of a hassle. despite the fact taht i know that some dos games runs better in pure dos and not through windows. i installed the new drivers but issue remains :(

Also i tried to open up a dos command prompt from windows and it says :"this program is set to run in dos mode and cannot run while other programs are running". i never ever set command prompt to be run in dos mode only!!