Game refuses to work - after 10 ISO softwares and running direct from CD

Support and general discussion.
MintPolo

Game refuses to work - after 10 ISO softwares and running direct from CD

Post by MintPolo »

Hi all,

I recently made a post about my 98SE not working, but a reinstall seemed to sort that out.

However, this was merely a hurdle enroute to the finishing line which I still can't cross; getting "The F.A. Premier League Football Manager 99" to work.

Evidently, the setup I have selected is not compatible for the game. I thought perhaps it's something to do with the requested Direct X 5.2 installation at the end never seemingly working... but realise this is probably an extension of another issue.

I am utterly un-savvy when it comes to computers, and getting this far has already taken me days.

I thought, perhaps, if I listed the requirements for the game here, it might assist in ascertaining what the setup should be. As ever, any help is appreciated.

Recommended Setup:
Pentium 200Mhz or higher
32MB RAM
3D Accelerator
4MB Video Card

Supported Hardware:
Supported graphics acceleration boards:
Via D3D
3Dfx Voodoo, Voodoo2, Voodoo2 -w/SLI, 3Dfx Voodoo Rush, Intel740, nVidia Riva 128 and ATI 3D Rage Pro.

"Also requires Video and Sound card compatible with DirectX 5.*"

If anyone can steer me in the right direction of how to get this game to work, I would be eternally greatful. Cost me a fair bit to get a hold of this CD again (not exactly popular) and I just desperately 'need' this to work.

Thanks for any help with this.
leilei

Re: Game refuses to work - after 10 ISO softwares and running direct from CD

Post by leilei »

Not knowing the config hurts troubleshooting.

If you have the latest Voodoo2 or Voodoo3 drivers installed, you'll also need DirectX 7 (minimum) installed for those drivers to work with Direct3D at all.

"'99" implies at least an expectation for Windows 98 support as that shipped DX6 and should skip DX5 installation.
MintPolo

Post by MintPolo »

leilei wrote: Fri 05 Aug, 2022 11:59 pm Not knowing the config hurts troubleshooting.

If you have the latest Voodoo2 or Voodoo3 drivers installed, you'll also need DirectX 7 (minimum) installed for those drivers to work with Direct3D at all.

"'99" implies at least an expectation for Windows 98 support as that shipped DX6 and should skip DX5 installation.
My apologies for not including this sooner.

Xanarki

Post by Xanarki »

While in Win98 in PCEM, goto Start > run > type in dxdiag.exe

Screenshot the first window that pops up. Also, screenshot the Display tab too.

This will help confirm if you got everything installed right.

Also, what do you mean by "it doesn't work"? Black screen? Won't launch at all? Error message?
MintPolo

Post by MintPolo »

Xanarki wrote: Sun 07 Aug, 2022 9:31 pm While in Win98 in PCEM, goto Start > run > type in dxdiag.exe

Screenshot the first window that pops up. Also, screenshot the Display tab too.

This will help confirm if you got everything installed right.

Also, what do you mean by "it doesn't work"? Black screen? Won't launch at all? Error message?

When I select the click to start the game, nothing happens. Doesn't launch at all, no error messages. Desktop is still visible.

It does, however, appear here, suggesting that its running.... somehow:

Thank you so much for replying by the way, I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help.
MintPolo

Post by MintPolo »

Apologies for bumping this. I've looked everywhere for a solution, and can't find one.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

Have you tried playing a newer version of this game?
leilei

Post by leilei »

leilei wrote: Fri 05 Aug, 2022 11:59 pm you'll also need DirectX 7 (minimum) installed for those drivers to work with Direct3D at all.
The screenshots you posted show you're using a DX7-dependent driver with DX6.1, which is not going to work. The driver's readme also notes this:
3dfx 1.07.00-WHQL/4.12.01.0666 driver readme wrote: This distribution contains Voodoo drivers and control panel for Windows 95/98. The DirectDraw portion of the drivers supports Direct3D when using DirectX 7.0 NOTE: DirectX 7.0 redistributable files should be used with these drivers!
MintPolo

Post by MintPolo »

I installed Direct X 7, but sadly it still wont load.
leilei

Post by leilei »

At this point i'd blame the disc protection. 1999's also when Safedisc/SecuROM started showing up on EA's games and sometimes they may have silent failures. When I've tested 99-02 EA games on PCem earlier, i've had PCem pointed to the host VirtualCloneDrive with my clonecd dumps mounted on them.
tk421

Post by tk421 »

If the problem is the same as I had with NHL 2000, namely the CD not read or not in the CD-ROM drive error, I would suggest using Daemon Tools within your PCem VM and place the virtual CD for your game on the emulated hard drive.

You could make a virtual CD of your game CD using a program like Alcohol 52%.

Using Daemon Tools within PCem will work even on a Pentium MMX emulated machine.

Also, I would probably reduce the emulated RAM down to 64mb. I never had a Pentium MMX that had more than 64mb of RAM.

I really hope this is not the same problem as I had with Homeworld Cataclysm. It never ran no matter what I did.
leilei

Post by leilei »

tk421 wrote: Mon 15 Aug, 2022 7:24 am I really hope this is not the same problem as I had with Homeworld Cataclysm. It never ran no matter what I did.
That sounds like the anti-debugger stuff Sierra started putting in releases since Ground Control and also show up on Tribes 2 and Blue Shift