Outside of VMworkstation (which has disorted sound) we don't have a fully working XP emulation yet.

Support and general discussion.
Sooga

Outside of VMworkstation (which has disorted sound) we don't have a fully working XP emulation yet.

Post by Sooga »

Is the demand just not there? You'd think 20 years later someone would've figured something out:

It seems like Xenia in terms of emulation. I feel like we will be able to have full Forza Horizon races without missing textures or random crashes before we have a decent XP and I DON'T take that lightly considering the snails pace of Xenia vs PS3/4 emulation.
VMworkstation once fixed the disorted sound on an update but now it's back and even VMAUDIO back doesn't work it just crashes when you try to use it in the guest.
leilei

Re: Outside of VMworkstation (which has disorted sound) we don't have a fully working XP emulation yet.

Post by leilei »

What's not "fully working"?

I haven't had issues with Voodoo3 and SBPCI on XP. It's a little sluggish but that's how XP was on the 6th gen PCs, and there's always been a slow detection hump to get over after setup that always seems to be forgotten about, especially as many first impressions of XP have been on machines from generations ahead.

Emulating XP itself does not inherently mean "emulate all the xp era hardware give me pentium 4 with geforce4 audigy2zs NOW"
Sooga

Re: Outside of VMworkstation (which has disorted sound) we don't have a fully working XP emulation yet.

Post by Sooga »

leilei wrote: Tue 06 Sep, 2022 12:03 am What's not "fully working"?

I haven't had issues with Voodoo3 and SBPCI on XP. It's a little sluggish but that's how XP was on the 6th gen PCs, and there's always been a slow detection hump to get over after setup that always seems to be forgotten about, especially as many first impressions of XP have been on machines from generations ahead.

Emulating XP itself does not inherently mean "emulate all the xp era hardware give me pentium 4 with geforce4 audigy2zs NOW"
No this isn't a little sluggish the frames were fine. XP is lightning speed on mine: It's the sound was completely garbled and there many complaints. Version 16.3.4 I think briefly fixed it without any manual fixing required but now the bug is back:

T I'll explain more below: I tried to explain in my last post but you missed it:

There was a lot of complaints including me about disorted XP sound that garbles except in-game or a program: Now like I said in my post the sound garbled was sort of 'fixable' by either opening up Windows Media Player and leaving it due to some kind of timing issue OR using the VM Audio Back. Now neither seem to fix it. VM Audio Back just crashes with an exception error which never happened before.
eddman

Post by eddman »

leilei was clearly referring to win XP on PCem (the mention of voodoo 3).

This isn't a vmware forum. Threads like this do not belong here. If you have issues with XP on PCem, post those.
tk421

Post by tk421 »

Run Windows Media Player minimized on your XP VMWare VM to get rid of that annoying sound stuttering and video stuttering.

On a modern PC, to use XP in VMWare with sound stuttering and even video stuttering being a near constant occurrence is an annoying thing to see after years of powerful, reliable XP computers at home, at work and even in school. There is a working solution.

It's not perfect, but to remove the sound stuttering and video stuttering using XP in VMWare on a modern PC I run Windows Media Player in a minimized state while I run games like Empire at War, Bridge Commander and Jedi Knight. This solution works, and restores near native performance for many of my old games.

It could be a long time before PCem has feasible Pentium 3, let alone Pentium 4 emulation capability. Newer video and sound cards would have to emulated as well to make that work. There is also the matter of emulating newer PC hardware like DDR RAM. Not an easy task given the amazing achievement that is PCem today. Pentium MMX and Pentium 2 emulation in PCem is solid and highly reliable.

It will take a long time to get P3 or P4 emulation for our PCs. Even then, you will not get the performance you are looking for from a P3. Even a Pentium 4 with a Geforce FX 5200 cannot run all programs properly. I needed a much newer PC to run games like Rome Total War at a high level of performance. In my case, that was a great AMD Phenom II running XP. I have thoroughly enjoyed using that flawless PC.

It all depends on what programs you are trying to run on a P3 or P4. Chances are VMware or VirtualBox can help you with this. For now, games like Rome Total War are probably better off with Steam. At least you can run that game through Steam with good performance, though our old mods may not work right.

In my experience, games like Star Wars Rebellion run much better on XP than Win95/98. I have successfully tested Rebellion on Windows 2000, using only a socket 7-based Pentium MMX. One of these days I will test it on XP in PCem to see if performance is on par with Windows 2000. Rebellion is one game that works much better with PCem than VirtualBox or VMware.

I sympathize with everyone who wants to relive the glory days of great PCs that ran every program without problems. Thankfully, there are solutions today for all of that time and effort spent doing program compatibility tasks.

tk421
Sooga

Post by Sooga »

eddman wrote: Wed 07 Sep, 2022 6:55 am leilei was clearly referring to win XP on PCem (the mention of voodoo 3).

This isn't a vmware forum. Threads like this do not belong here. If you have issues with XP on PCem, post those.
You have to have a business to post there. They want a bunch of details for a business in order to register and you have to pay money.
Sooga

Post by Sooga »

tk421 wrote: Wed 07 Sep, 2022 7:22 pm Run Windows Media Player minimized on your XP VMWare VM to get rid of that annoying sound stuttering and video stuttering.

On a modern PC, to use XP in VMWare with sound stuttering and even video stuttering being a near constant occurrence is an annoying thing to see after years of powerful, reliable XP computers at home, at work and even in school. There is a working solution.

It's not perfect, but to remove the sound stuttering and video stuttering using XP in VMWare on a modern PC I run Windows Media Player in a minimized state while I run games like Empire at War, Bridge Commander and Jedi Knight. This solution works, and restores near native performance for many of my old games.

It could be a long time before PCem has feasible Pentium 3, let alone Pentium 4 emulation capability. Newer video and sound cards would have to emulated as well to make that work. There is also the matter of emulating newer PC hardware like DDR RAM. Not an easy task given the amazing achievement that is PCem today. Pentium MMX and Pentium 2 emulation in PCem is solid and highly reliable.

It will take a long time to get P3 or P4 emulation for our PCs. Even then, you will not get the performance you are looking for from a P3. Even a Pentium 4 with a Geforce FX 5200 cannot run all programs properly. I needed a much newer PC to run games like Rome Total War at a high level of performance. In my case, that was a great AMD Phenom II running XP. I have thoroughly enjoyed using that flawless PC.

It all depends on what programs you are trying to run on a P3 or P4. Chances are VMware or VirtualBox can help you with this. For now, games like Rome Total War are probably better off with Steam. At least you can run that game through Steam with good performance, though our old mods may not work right.

In my experience, games like Star Wars Rebellion run much better on XP than Win95/98. I have successfully tested Rebellion on Windows 2000, using only a socket 7-based Pentium MMX. One of these days I will test it on XP in PCem to see if performance is on par with Windows 2000. Rebellion is one game that works much better with PCem than VirtualBox or VMware.

I sympathize with everyone who wants to relive the glory days of great PCs that ran every program without problems. Thankfully, there are solutions today for all of that time and effort spent doing program compatibility tasks.

tk421
Thanks. Ever heard of Archive.org? They are a GREAT resource for older computer stuff including manuals and rare out of print titles but they also do more then computers as they do old books/music,etc and have some kind of protection from being taken down. They won every lawsuit ever aimed at them.

Is it worth donating to Archive.org as they haven't seem to done much with their site since 2019ish in terms of software and music. Their last thing was TV News Archives which only go to 2009 hardly an 'archive' as it only covers very slanted news unless your willing to go back further and no way to organize between stations and date either.
eddman

Post by eddman »

Sooga wrote: Sat 10 Sep, 2022 6:58 am
You have to have a business to post there. They want a bunch of details for a business in order to register and you have to pay money.
So? This is still not a vmware forum. Find another site to post non-PCem threads.
Sooga

Post by Sooga »

eddman wrote: Sat 10 Sep, 2022 7:14 am
Sooga wrote: Sat 10 Sep, 2022 6:58 am
So? This is still not a vmware forum. Find another site to post non-PCem threads.
Where do you suggest? I never have seen any actual places and posts are all from 2016 or earlier on Google results whenever someone has issues or wants to talk about it.
eddman

Post by eddman »

Vogons.org, as I already mentioned to you on github.

If you mean a site specifically for virtualization, no idea.

EDIT: I just registered on vmware's forum; no business ownership or payment necessary.
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

Sooga wrote: Mon 05 Sep, 2022 11:24 pm Is the demand just not there? You'd think 20 years later someone would've figured something out:

It seems like Xenia in terms of emulation. I feel like we will be able to have full Forza Horizon races without missing textures or random crashes before we have a decent XP and I DON'T take that lightly considering the snails pace of Xenia vs PS3/4 emulation.
VMworkstation once fixed the disorted sound on an update but now it's back and even VMAUDIO back doesn't work it just crashes when you try to use it in the guest.
Oracle Virtual Box.
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

There's been fixes for the Windows XP sound issues in VMWare for a while:

https://github.com/Raymai97/VMAudioBack

http://www.lilchips.com/vmaudiofixtray.htm

It's very hit or miss in 3D Accelerated games because of not using true GPU passthrough, but I've been using VMWare to mess around in XP for a while now without any other issues.
wishusknight wrote: Fri 16 Sep, 2022 5:03 pm
Sooga wrote: Mon 05 Sep, 2022 11:24 pm Is the demand just not there? You'd think 20 years later someone would've figured something out:

Oracle Virtual Box.
VirtualBox is terrible for XP

It's slower than VMWare, the hardware acceleration isn't as good, and there's graphical glitches like some of the visualizers in WMP being messed up.