v17 released!

Support and general discussion.
eddman

Re: v17 released!

Post by eddman »

I didn't create a whole thread, as it probably has a very simple answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCI video (and apparently also network) cards are not available on boards that do not have PCI slots, which is normal. However, AudioPCI and Sound Blaster PCI are available on many, even on 8088 boards.

Is this as intended?

A few 386 and 486 boards which don't have PCI slots (Acer 386sx25/n, Amstrad MegaPC, Packard bell pb410a) show PCI video cards like voodoo 3 and ATI video xpression in the list (although they are not configurable. In fact, none of the cards are). Perhaps a bug?

Also, isn't virge/dx a PCI only card?
guest2

Post by guest2 »

I'm new to this forum so thought I would say hi and how much i'm enjoying using PCem 17.

I've setup a few W95 machines with different GPUs and loving playing through some old games on Windows 95 that is not possible in Dosbox / Dosbox-X / Dosbox pure.
Need for Speed 2 SE runs fantastic in 3dfx on Voodoo 2 in PCem as does many other games.
AWE32 has been setup in DOS and Windows 95 and have even loaded the card with a soundfont like I did (helped my friend do) back in the 90s on his AWE 32. I still remember the glitches and issues with older OS' which im glad to see PCem captures also! :D

I have a small query on the GPUs available. What is the difference between a '3DFX Voodoo Banshee (reference)' and the 'Creative 3D Blaster Banshee'. From my past knowledge, the banshee was a Voodoo 2 with one TMU and combined 2d & 3d card, the Creative 3d blaster just being a branded Creative Banshee (but the same card) Why have both in PCem?

Incredible emulator, congrats getting it this far and with future development

Guest2/Alex
leilei

Post by leilei »

The Creative card used SDRAM. Reference banshee used SGRAM.

References of Banshee being a stripped Voodoo2's a bit of a misnomer as it has a far better memory controller and can handle a scene in Quake3 with far less texture thrash hitching (especially compared to V2SLI) and has somewhat better compatibility with some later Direct3D games that get fussy over secondary 3d devices (as they're long obsolete by that point).

The Voodoo3 is a STB Banshee with a second TMU, SDRAM and a _big_ marketing budget/brand refresh to come with it(and effectively replaced Banshee like that never happened, even though that had more practical/technical merit than the Rush)
guest2

Post by guest2 »

leilei wrote: Sun 25 Sep, 2022 1:02 am The Creative card used SDRAM. Reference banshee used SGRAM.

References of Banshee being a stripped Voodoo2's a bit of a misnomer as it has a far better memory controller and can handle a scene in Quake3 with far less texture thrash hitching (especially compared to V2SLI) and has somewhat better compatibility with some later Direct3D games that get fussy over secondary 3d devices (as they're long obsolete by that point).

The Voodoo3 is a STB Banshee with a second TMU, SDRAM and a _big_ marketing budget/brand refresh to come with it(and effectively replaced Banshee like that never happened, even though that had more practical/technical merit than the Rush)

Thanks. So the reference Banshee is better than the Creative as SG is (or was) only SDRAM but with dedicated GPU features added.

I've not got a few machines setup in PCem - Voodoo 1, Voodoo Banshee, Voodoo 2 and Voodoo 3 3000. (now in 6 different HDD files)

Hardware wise i've owned the Voodoo 1, 2 and 3 2000 (before a long line of Nvidia cards and a few ATI cards) I'm enjoying comparing the differences along with bugs I remember in certain games :D

IMO the Voodoo 2 was the best card of that era. It went downhill after the Voodoo 2. The classic 3dfx spinning logo was what I remember fondly :)