moad6ytgn

is pcem v18 cancelled?

Post by moad6ytgn »

is pcem v18 cancelled?
Katakis

Re: is pcem v18 cancelled?

Post by Katakis »

No.
Michael devoted most of his time on other projects. It will be released, but PCem is not a priority for him.
emily

Post by emily »

Katakis wrote: Fri 28 Jul, 2023 6:10 am PCem is not a priority for him.
He's just the maintainer after all.
MichaelJManley

Post by MichaelJManley »

emily wrote: Tue 01 Aug, 2023 11:40 pm
Katakis wrote: Fri 28 Jul, 2023 6:10 am PCem is not a priority for him.
He's just the maintainer after all.
You do know what a maintainer is right?

In free and open source software and inner source software, a software maintainer or package maintainer is usually one or more people who build source code into a binary package for distribution, commit patches, or organize code in a source repository.

I mean, I do that. I keep an eye on Code Reviews, Try to solve bugs in a quick timeframe when they are easy, and even try to keep the project afloat.

Yes, I don't commit much of my own code, and that is due to stronger projects that I'm getting paid to do, but that doesn't mean I don't care about PCem. I see why Sarah gave up, the constant "When X getting done" or "Blah Blah" comments can get old. Luckily I'm desensitized to not giving a crap what others think of it :)
Xanarki

Post by Xanarki »

The constant inquisitions is a pain in the arse. Completely understandable.

But it is a drastic change from the way Sarah presented things. PCem been around for a long time and a lot of folks are accustomed to the progress updates/once-a-year-or-so stable releases/lists of tasks. So going from that to what it is now will indeed bring up questions.
emily

Post by emily »

You do a good job of continuing Sarah's legacy of irritability: I was saying the same as what you just said:
you simply keep an eye on things, PCem doesn't have to be your priority, you're just the maintainer. 🙄
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

MichaelJManley wrote: Wed 09 Aug, 2023 1:26 am I see why Sarah gave up,
Well, I don't know if you have been here when v17 was just released, but there was a contributor called Battler who was also a developer of an emulator called 86Box, and he was trying to ram 86Box down her throat. She got furious, to the point that she actually used the "f" word. During my time here, I have never seen that side of her.

What a shame she decided to leave the project. I told her that there was MT-32 emulation in the Windows version of PCem, but not in the Linux version, and she was going to look into it. Now I don't know if she still browses these forums any more.
Lowe0

Post by Lowe0 »

I don't think anyone would argue in retrospect that the planned release was too big a bite. When you take too big a bite, you have three choices: choke, spit, or keep on chewing. That the GitHub repo is actively merging PRs rules out #1. That there isn't an announced change to the release plan suggests against #2. So, it's likely the third option.

In my professional life, I've worked on many releases like this. They're never fun, but they do get resolved, eventually. The only way out is through.
tk421

Post by tk421 »

I think Michael is doing a good job. Until he has something to announce or release to the public, it makes no sense to just add whimsical or half-finished features to PCem. No one likes a half-finished program in need of constant fixes, patches and updates.

When was the last time PCem crashed? In my case, it happened only once, and that was using v14 some years ago.

Michael is doing a good job of running the forum too.

It is obvious why Sarah quit the project. The difficulties of writing next-generation software in a short time combined with the online pressure to produce results swiftly. PCem did not ever need constant fixes, patches and updates. It worked. Before she wrote PCem, I think most people would have said "It cannot be done." She got the job done in record time and made a program that is complete. PCem is very useful even today.

These days I use v13.1, v15, and v17. They are all amazing versions of PCem.

What will v18 add to PCem? I am as excited as everyone else to see it, but patience is key. I think Michael's approach is the correct one.
MichaelJManley

Post by MichaelJManley »

emily wrote: Wed 09 Aug, 2023 10:26 pm You do a good job of continuing Sarah's legacy of irritability: I was saying the same as what you just said:
you simply keep an eye on things, PCem doesn't have to be your priority, you're just the maintainer. 🙄
Well comment was missing some context, so I thought it was coming out as sarcasm :)
MichaelJManley

Post by MichaelJManley »

tk421 wrote: Thu 10 Aug, 2023 8:42 pm I think Michael is doing a good job. Until he has something to announce or release to the public, it makes no sense to just add whimsical or half-finished features to PCem. No one likes a half-finished program in need of constant fixes, patches and updates.

When was the last time PCem crashed? In my case, it happened only once, and that was using v14 some years ago.

Michael is doing a good job of running the forum too.

It is obvious why Sarah quit the project. The difficulties of writing next-generation software in a short time combined with the online pressure to produce results swiftly. PCem did not ever need constant fixes, patches and updates. It worked. Before she wrote PCem, I think most people would have said "It cannot be done." She got the job done in record time and made a program that is complete. PCem is very useful even today.

These days I use v13.1, v15, and v17. They are all amazing versions of PCem.

What will v18 add to PCem? I am as excited as everyone else to see it, but patience is key. I think Michael's approach is the correct one.
Exactly! I think people are used to the every year model, and there are some nice features in vNext that would be nice to release, but the drop in speed complaints is why I dont feel like releasing, and some segfaults.
MichaelJManley

Post by MichaelJManley »

Katakis wrote: Thu 10 Aug, 2023 7:28 am
MichaelJManley wrote: Wed 09 Aug, 2023 1:26 am I see why Sarah gave up,
Well, I don't know if you have been here when v17 was just released, but there was a contributor called Battler who was also a developer of an emulator called 86Box, and he was trying to ram 86Box down her throat. She got furious, to the point that she actually used the "f" word. During my time here, I have never seen that side of her.

What a shame she decided to leave the project. I told her that there was MT-32 emulation in the Windows version of PCem, but not in the Linux version, and she was going to look into it. Now I don't know if she still browses these forums any more.
I'm aware of what happened. Gets a bit deeper than that but that's the past. I think she does browse from time to time, but she is definitely taking a least active role. I did merge some PR requests from her for Matrox support since taking over.

But I think it also was a bit of burnout and getting impatient people don't help with on burnout.

Best reason I even added a plugin interface, it allows people to extend with whatever they want without requiring a dev on our end to implement.
duoduo

Post by duoduo »

Ithe MYS2 toolchain compiling may be the reason of the drop in speed . ON window10 ltsc2019 ,I compile two v17 ,one is with MinGW from osdn.net/projects/mingw ,the other is MYS2,all not with profile-use. In some 3d games like "redline racer" the program compiled with MinGW is obviously faster 30% than the one compiled with MYS2 ,
duoduo

Post by duoduo »

Tonight,I attempted to compile vnext code using MinGW 9.2, but failed。