OPL/FM synth volume

Support and general discussion.
eddman

OPL/FM synth volume

Post by eddman »

On my setups, FM synth volume is very low, compared to digital and MIDI. I haven't tested all cards, but it's the case with adlib and Sound Blaster cards. There doesn't seem to be a volume control for it.

Has anyone experienced this?
Arjen42

Re: OPL/FM synth volume

Post by Arjen42 »

If you have the sound card drivers installed, their is usually a utility included to set volume for FM, digital, MIDI, etc independently. You can also the output level up to +18 dB in the PCem's Sound menu.
eddman

Post by eddman »

I haven't seen a specific FM volume slider with Sound Blaster tools. Maybe I'm using the wrong one. Can you post a screenshot?

As for adlib, it doesn't have a tool. IINM on a real card there is a physical volume knob on the card itself.

PCem's sound menu is of no use to me since it affects all sounds.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

It's called MIDI in mixerset.exe 2.01. It applies to both FM and AWE synthesized music.
eddman

Post by eddman »

Didn't realize it controls both. Really a bad design on creative's part to combine them, since I'd constantly have to adjust the volume when switching between MIDI and FM.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

Depends on how you define MIDI. The actual MIDI data that is send out through MPU401 interface does not go through the mixer on the card. The MIDI device outside the computer has it's own amplifier and/or has an external amplifier which have their own volume control, which cannot be controlled by sound card. Of course passing the MIDI device's output back in through the line-in port was an option.

But I agree, separate mixer channels for FM music and wave table music would be nice to have. The design of the Sound Blaster 16 was probable limited to a few channels and Creative made the choice to combine FM with the optional wave table board. The Sound Blaster AWE was designed in the same way and uses almost the same software.

I'm not aware of games that utilizes both FM and AWE music at the same time. You may want to look at the mixerset.exe command line options to change to the preferred volume levels before starting the game using batch files.
eddman

Post by eddman »

Hm, a volume control option in the PCem UI for OPL emulator would really help.