Awe32 not showing up in 98SE

Support and general discussion.
SDJRazzetti

Awe32 not showing up in 98SE

Post by SDJRazzetti »

I've been trying for a while now to get an AWE32 working in my super socket 7 emulation setup. I can get the pci128 working just fine but I want to try to run the voodoo card in sli. Anyone know what the issue is or have any ideas? I've removed all pci 128 drivers and freshly installed the awe32 ones but it still isn't being detected by Windows. Been driving many nuts the last few hours. Any help would be appreciated.
Arjen42

Re: Awe32 not showing up in 98SE

Post by Arjen42 »

Restart in DOS mode (or boot from DOS), then run the diagnose.exe program. (Part of Sound Blaster 16/AWE32 DOS/Windows drivers.)

If this does not work try selecting SB16 in PCem and repeat the above.

If you want to run DOS games, you could consider creating a separate emulated PC, running DOS, for DOS games.
SDJRazzetti

Post by SDJRazzetti »

Honestly not super familiar with PCem yet. Not necessarily trying to run DOS. More trying to run windows programs and games. I just wanted sound in Windows. I can't get any of the sound options to work outside of the SB PCI 128. That's with trying all drivers and uninstalling properly before trying a different option. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been able to fix every issue that has occurred during and after install. Expect for the sound. I mean, I have it now using the PCI 128, but that's not the best option I'd imagine.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

I just checked. The diagnose program also works in a Windows 98SE dos session, however I only tested with Windows drivers for it installed.

If you only want to play Windows games, the AWE32 doesn't really makes sense. This is because Windows games don't support the AWE32 directly, only the Windows midi drivers, and most newer Windows games don't use midi at all for music, they use digitized audio for music. (Some older games use audio cd music, but newer don't.)

The AWE32 does make sense for DOS games that support the AWE32. However those games might also support better music options like the MT32, audio cd music, or general midi.
harrison98

Post by harrison98 »

SDJRazzetti wrote: Sat 03 Feb, 2024 1:05 am I've been trying for a while now to get an AWE32 working in my super socket 7 emulation setup. I can get the pci128 working just fine but I want to try to run the voodoo card in sli. Anyone know what the issue is or have any ideas? I've removed all pci 128 drivers and freshly installed the awe32 ones but it still isn't being detected by Windows. Been driving many nuts the last few hours. Any help would be appreciated.
You have to manually add the AWE32 in Windows using "Add Hardware" if you are installing it after your initial installation of Windows. This isn't a PCem issue, but just how ISA cards work with Windows.

Here's a thread with someone asking the exact same question: https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3415
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

Was this also the case with PnP ISA versions of the Sound Blaster 16/AWE32/AWE64? I remember the SB AWE32 Value was configured differently from the SB16 PnP.
JosepMa

Post by JosepMa »

PCem does not emulate the PnP versions of SB16 and AWE 32, so they are not "plug&play" aware.

Also, it is important to note that the default configuration of the SB16 and AWE32 in PCEm is not the most usual one, so it might be needed to set the IRQ and maybe even the Port correctly when configuring the hardware on Windows. I don't remember right now if the Creative Driver Setup program did auto-test to find them out, or just installs the drivers to allow the hardware to be added and configured.