Mouse not working under Win 2.03 on Amstrad PC1512

Support and general discussion.
nrnugteren

Mouse not working under Win 2.03 on Amstrad PC1512

Post by nrnugteren »

Hi Tom,

After having read quite some postings on Vogons and other sites you have been replying to, and after having played with your emulator for a few days now, 2 words to start with:
YOU ROCK!

I have been playing with VMware and DOSbox for quite some years now, but nothing comes close to what PCem does when it comes to emulating the hardware itself.
This is like travelling back in time, but with all the perks of today's technical possibilities. Thank you for your genius efforts.

Anyway, what I came for (Text basically copied over from the issue I posted on Vogons - http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?uid ... 31&start=0):

So what I am basically trying to accomplish, from a study and research perspective, is emulate the PC of around that time (in this scenario Amstrad PC1512),
with the MS-DOS and Windows versions of around that time
(realizing that GEM instead of Win was supplied with the PC, but my focus in this case lies on the various MS-DOS+Win-setups).
I already managed to accomplish the same with an IBM AT, running MS-DOS 2.x and Windows 1.x, which worked surprisingly well - even with EGA.

My current specs for this Win 2.x setup:
Host: Win 8
PCem: 8.1
Guest: MS-DOS 3.2 with Windows 2.03

The main problem is that I get no mouse at all in Windows.
Not sure if this is an Amstrad-related issue due to their unique mouse or an issue directly related to PCem.

I have tried loading the Amstrad version of mouse.com by loading it from autoexec.bat, which didn't help.
The only way that I can make the mouse work a little bit, is when I start mouse.com directly from within Windows' MS Dos Executive.
But then the problem occurs as described by Remax in the earlier linked post (inverted axis), aside from the fact that I cannot minimize that DOS screen to test a half working mouse under Windows.

If you can find some time for this little thingy, any advice would be much appreciated.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Mouse not working under Win 2.03 on Amstrad PC1512

Post by SarahWalker »

I fixed the inverted mouse yesterday (see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11&sid=978829afc068 ... 25b574de9e). You'll have to wait for a binary though, I don't publish binaries of development versions. I suspect someone else will make one at some point though.
nrnugteren

Post by nrnugteren »

I noticed your reply about the inverted mouse update, nice one.
No problem here waiting for the binary, or try figuring out how to do that myself in the meantime.

Any idea about the mouse not showing up within windows? Could that be related to PCem or do you suspect it's an Amstrad issue?
I read something about having to remove a physical link in the PC, before a serial mouse connected to COM1 would start working.
nrnugteren

Post by nrnugteren »

While working on this setup, I ran into a broken link btw:
On http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/links.html I got a "Server not found" page when clicking on the link "Cliff Lawson's Amstrad page"

If it helps others or if the link needs an alternative, on http://www.retroisle.com/amstrad/pcs/software.php I did manage to find the files for both the mouse driver (Mouse Driver v7.04, MOUSE.COM) as the Non-volatile RAM program (nvr.exe) for the PC1512.
remax

Post by remax »