Serial mouse not working correctly in r347

Support and general discussion.
ppgrainbow

Serial mouse not working correctly in r347

Post by ppgrainbow »

If you're using stand alone MS-DOS and 16-bit versions of Windows like I am, you'll notice something.

For me after updating to PCem v9 r347, on the AMI WinBIOS 486 compatible machine (64 MB RAM, Trident TVGA8900D 1 MB VRAM), after I start MS-DOS 6.22 and after it tries to load the serial mouse driver, the mouse does not move when loading the MS-DOS shell. This also occurred when I used the Cute Mouse driver on the AMI 486 machine.

Here's a screenshot:
Mouse not working correctly.png
Mouse not working correctly.png (39.54 KiB) Viewed 11517 times
In Windows 3.11, the serial mouse isn't even detected at all:
Mouse not detected in Windows 3.11.jpg
Mouse not detected in Windows 3.11.jpg (146.85 KiB) Viewed 11517 times
Has anyone still run into problems trying to navigate the mouse with only the HIMEM.SYS driver in CONFIG.SYS and only the mouse driver in AUTOEXEC.BAT? Such a problem has occurred when using both the Logitech mouse and the Cute Mouse drivers.

This is a hit and miss issue. A temporary workaround would be to hard reset the emulated machine in order to get the serial mouse to work correctly and on click on the emulated screen until the loading of all of the device drivers and TSRs are finished. I hope that this issue gets fixed.
te_lanus

Re: Serial mouse not working correctly in r347

Post by te_lanus »

I have no problem here. Both edit.com and Win 3.1 works.

Sys:
Ami486 (Pentium overdrive/83)
64mb ram
SBPro v2
Diamond stealth 3D

Dos 6.22 and IBM Win 3.1
Mouse driver: MS mouse 6.26
ender

Post by ender »

Since it's WinBIOS, test if the mouse works in BIOS setup.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

ender wrote:Since it's WinBIOS, test if the mouse works in BIOS setup.
The mouse doesn't even show up in WinBIOS setup. This is the case when I click the emulated screen to capture the mouse and press DEL to skip memory test and enter CMOS setup:
Mouse not detected in WinBIOS.png
Mouse not detected in WinBIOS.png (43.32 KiB) Viewed 11490 times
I don't know if Tom will look into this issue and fix it, because retrosoftware.co.uk is completely dead. :(
FredPJ

Post by FredPJ »

In my experience the mouse sometimes stops working in WinBIOS setup, the cursor will freeze for no apparent reason but the keyboard will still work. This seems to happen randomly, I can't find a pattern.

However every time I reset with "Ctrl+Alt+Del" (instead of "Hard Reset") and enter the WinBIOS setup again, it will always freeze (the mouse and the keyboard won't work). I had a mainboard with this BIOS, so I can confirm that this doesn't happen with real hardware.
leilei

Post by leilei »

My real WinBIOS-powered 486 motherboard has serial mice issues with the bios as well sometimes. Don't forget that WinBIOS itself was reviled back in the day for its problems and the gratuitous GUI trend, even though it's a nice concept for modern PCs nowadays and definitely better than the gray linear text screens they stuck with for 20 years on their intel motherboards

lol even my real 486 can do a freeze on a soft reset from sensitive memory timing.
Last edited by leilei on Wed 16 Sep, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

FredPJ wrote:In my experience the mouse sometimes stops working in WinBIOS setup, the cursor will freeze for no apparent reason but the keyboard will still work. This seems to happen randomly, I can't find a pattern.

However every time I reset with "Ctrl+Alt+Del" (instead of "Hard Reset") and enter the WinBIOS setup again, it will always freeze (the mouse and the keyboard won't work). I had a mainboard with this BIOS, so I can confirm that this doesn't happen with real hardware.
Speaking of the three finger salute (aka Ctrl+Alt+Del), not only the mouse and keyboard will always freeze after a soft reset, the BIOS will also report that the FDD and HDD controllers will also fail as I mentioned in a comment in another thread! I sure hope that Tom is aware of this issue.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

I have seen your several million posts on the subject, yes.
Battler

Post by Battler »

- TomWalker: Then why not look into the issue. It's things like these that make me worry sometimes. Both the CTRL+ALT+DEL and the Windows 3.1 DOS BOX grabbing (and resulting Windows instability) are bugs with the most basic of functionality, that have been known for quite some time now (I'm sure I remember CTRL+ALT+DEL issues reported last year already, and I originally reported the Windows 3.1 bug in November 2014) and are still there, and some bug reports get ignored even when a fix gets provided by the one who reported the bug (like with the VIDE-CDD.SYS freeze bug).
I really don't mean this to insult or attack you, you've done an awesome job on the emulator as a whole and you generally handle bug reports well (hell, I reported some obvious x86 bugs to the QEMU developers, which got marked as "won't fix" for no real reason), I just don't understand why you seem to be so unwilling to look into some bugs or adopt some fixes that have been provided, that's all.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Because I prioritise things differently to you. Because we're different people.

Besides, what makes you think I'm not looking at it?
Battler

Post by Battler »

- TomWalker: I just assumed, sorry. I really need to stop assuming things. :p