v10 released!

Support and general discussion.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

v10 released!

Post by SarahWalker »

v10 is finally out. Final changelist :
  • New machines - AMI XT clone, DTK XT clone, VTech Laser Turbo XT, VTech Laser XT3, Phoenix XT clone, Juko XT clone, IBM PS/1 model 2011, Compaq Deskpro 386, DTK 386SX clone, Phoenix 386 clone, Intel Premiere/PCI, Intel Advanced/EV
  • New graphics cards - IBM VGA, 3DFX Voodoo Graphics
  • Experimental dynamic recompiler - up to 3x speedup
  • Pentium and Pentium MMX emulation
  • CPU fixes - fixed issues in Unreal, Half-Life, Final Fantasy VII, Little Big Adventure 2, Windows 9x setup, Coherent, BeOS and others
  • Improved FDC emulation - more accurate, supports FDI images, supports 1.2MB 5.25" floppy drive emulation, supports write protect correctly
  • Internal timer improvements, fixes sound in some games (eg Lion King)
  • Added support for up to 4 IDE hard drives
  • MIDI OUT code now handles sysex commands correctly
  • CD-ROM code now no longer crashes Windows 9x when CD-ROM drive empty
  • Fixes to ViRGE, S3 Vision series, ATI Mach64 and OAK OTI-067 cards
  • Various other fixes/changes
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release, whether it be through patches, bug reports, or any other kind of support.
therock247uk

Re: v10 released!

Post by therock247uk »

Having issues running your build on Windows 10 64bit... (was unzipped to a hole new folder so nothing to do with my setup)

---------------------------
PCem.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.
OK
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

That's a DLL issue I think. I missed one off the original upload, can you re-download and try again? If it still doesn't work, can you check the Windows Event Log to see if it says which DLL is causing problems?
therock247uk

Post by therock247uk »

Get this now... Fixed myself by putting the dll it needed in its folder.

PCem.exe - System Error
The program can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
OK
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Okay, added that as well. Can you confirm that what's on the site now works on your machine?
therock247uk

Post by therock247uk »

All works now.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

Great! Glad to see v10 out!

On your feature list, you have '4 IDE hard drives' listed 2x.

And I just noticed that exiting the CMOS settings for the Premier board crashes PCem.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

Fantastic work all around, Tom. Everything looks to be working properly with the v10 package now. I also noticed the duplication of the "4 IDE hard drives" in the feature list, but I see that neozeed beat me to it. :)

I can also confirm that exiting the CMOS settings crashes PCem on the Intel Premiere/PCI, and it's a rather nasty crash that almost took my entire host down with it. Interestingly, the problem is NOT present on the similar Intel Advanced/EV machine. However, there is an issue with the Advanced/EV not detecting that a mouse is installed, which I don't recall happening before. The Premiere/PCI detects the mouse as expected.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Well, it gives me something to fix for v10.1 I suppose.
Battler

Post by Battler »

The two AMI BIOS'es only support PS/2 mouse, but PCem gives the Advanced/EV a serial mouse, hence why it doesn't detect it.

And yes, for some reason, some PCem crashes can be nasty. Especially when 64-bit PCem for Windows crashes, it will slow down the entire host input event handler until it is forcibly terminated in Task Manager.
Alegend45

Post by Alegend45 »

Battler wrote:The two AMI BIOS'es only support PS/2 mouse, but PCem gives the Advanced/EV a serial mouse, hence why it doesn't detect it.

And yes, for some reason, some PCem crashes can be nasty. Especially when 64-bit PCem for Windows crashes, it will slow down the entire host input event handler until it is forcibly terminated in Task Manager.
No, this is only when being debugged in gdb.
Battler

Post by Battler »

- Alegend45: No, when run directly on Windows, 64-bit PCem can also screw up all Windows input on crash. It happened to me several times. Only when run directly but inside Msys2 does that not happen as the Msys2 crash handler takes over. Using GDB makes it happen again.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Just as well I'm not releasing 64-bit Windows binaries then isn't it.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

Fantastic work on all of the hard work on the v10 release!

What I would like to see in the v10.1 release is SLiRP and WinPcap networking support that neozeed provided. Which is something that was missed out in this release. What I would also like to see is parallel and serial (COM1/COM2) support being implemented also.
Battler

Post by Battler »

- ppgrainbow: Neozeed just added SLiRP and modified the code a bit, it was SA1988 that originally added networking. And I have code now that goes even further and adds the first PCI network adapter, the RTL 8029AS (a.k.a. NE2000 PCI), with optional 32k Etherboot ROM too. :p I just haven't released that code anywhere yet but I will.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

Battler wrote:- ppgrainbow: Neozeed just added SLiRP and modified the code a bit, it was SA1988 that originally added networking. And I have code now that goes even further and adds the first PCI network adapter, the RTL 8029AS (a.k.a. NE2000 PCI), with optional 32k Etherboot ROM too. :p I just haven't released that code anywhere yet but I will.
Thank you very much for telling me! I appreciate it. :)
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

If there is a v10.1 it will be bug fixes only. Networking will have to wait for v11.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

TomWalker wrote:If there is a v10.1 it will be bug fixes only. Networking will have to wait for v11.
Thank you for telling me.
resle

Post by resle »

Great, thanks Tom! Can't wait to test it, however it will be a long struggle against the Great Firewall of China, where I live (almost impossible to download any large binary from abroad)

Any chance there is a "start in full screen" switch in this version, or an upcoming patch? ;)
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

resle wrote:Great, thanks Tom! Can't wait to test it, however it will be a long struggle against the Great Firewall of China, where I live (almost impossible to download any large binary from abroad)

Any chance there is a "start in full screen" switch in this version, or an upcoming patch? ;)
Really? I don't recall having issues downloading from inside China. For what its worth my server thing is in Hong Kong.

It's way too much of a hassle to get web hosting in China, but let me know if you need official binaries, I can QQ them or whatever.
Alegend45

Post by Alegend45 »

neozeed wrote:
resle wrote:Great, thanks Tom! Can't wait to test it, however it will be a long struggle against the Great Firewall of China, where I live (almost impossible to download any large binary from abroad)

Really? I don't recall having issues downloading from inside China. For what its worth my server thing is in Hong Kong.

It's way too much of a hassle to get web hosting in China, but let me know if you need official binaries, I can QQ them or whatever.
Hong Kong isn't in the Firewall.
AnnaWu

Post by AnnaWu »

The version number (pc.c/win.c) for the title should be updated.
v9 > v10
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

Alegend45 wrote:
neozeed wrote:

Hong Kong isn't in the Firewall.
Yes, I'm WELL aware of that, but I do go back and forth to China. And at least Hong Kong is *close* internet wise to China, so it ought to be faster.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Premiere/PCI crash is a result of me forgetting to include a default CMOS file for this model, the BIOS having a bug where it jumps to a random address when the CMOS reset code is invalid, and PCem having a bug where the code for handling attempts to execute from non-executable regions doesn't work. I've re-uploaded the V10 zip file with a default CMOS file which works around the immediate issue, and v10.1 will have a fix for the underlying bug.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

Nice one, great to see that the issue with the Premiere/PCI wasn't too much of a problem and it will be good to have it back in action. Any chance of getting the mouse re-enabled on the Advanced/EV in time for 10.1 as well? I had a quick look and it did seem as straightforward as Battler indicated but haven't actually put it to the test yet...
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

TomWalker wrote:Premiere/PCI crash is a result of me forgetting to include a default CMOS file for this model, the BIOS having a bug where it jumps to a random address when the CMOS reset code is invalid, and PCem having a bug where the code for handling attempts to execute from non-executable regions doesn't work. I've re-uploaded the V10 zip file with a default CMOS file which works around the immediate issue, and v10.1 will have a fix for the underlying bug.
Cool, thanks, I'm glad I can mess around more with the P60/66 stuff!
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

ecksemmess wrote:Any chance of getting the mouse re-enabled on the Advanced/EV in time for 10.1 as well?
It does have a serial mouse...

This isn't me being entirely arbitrarily petty, while I'm aware the Advanced/EV BIOS supports PS/2 mice all the actual boards I've seen have an AT keyboard connector and serial mice.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

Sorry, should have been more clear--the Advanced/EV is currently unusable, because the BIOS detects no mouse at all. Battler seems to think that fixing this will be as simple as switching the mouse init on that machine over to PS/2. Been so swamped I haven't had a chance to verify that, and alas still don't now--anyone?

(For the record, I have an Endeavor mainboard with a PS/2 mouse port, so can confirm that it's an authentic hardware option.)
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Sorry, I must be missing something - in what way does this make the Advanced/EV unusable? The BIOS POSTs with no errors, and DOS mouse drivers and Windows correctly detect and use the serial mouse.
EluanCM

Post by EluanCM »

I'm am using Advanced/EV without any major problems, it is very similar to the Advanced/ZP board I've had in the mid-90's. Most of these intel boards didn't even have the PS/2 extension bracket installed anyway, I've never seen one until those cheap AT K6-2 boards appeared.

Slight bug with MACH64/Pentium, didn't feel like opening a thread only for this small masking issue, sorry if I'm wrong:
pcem_v10_bugreport.png
pcem_v10_bugreport.png (87.83 KiB) Viewed 22483 times
Also, the A: and B: drive options only let me select 5 1/4" drives but I can load 3 1/2" disks fine, is this intended?