v10 released!

Support and general discussion.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: v10 released!

Post by SarahWalker »

The other drive option should be '5.25" 360k / 3.5"', ie a drive that is both a 360k 5.25" drive and a 3.5" drive, as there isn't much need to distinguish between the two from the emulator's point of view.
ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

MMXbug.png
MMXbug.png (14.41 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
As you can see, selecting any Mobile Pentium CPU with the Award 430VX PCI will cause it to be reported as a random 486 CPU. But from windows it is recognized correctly.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Your BIOS appears to be too old to be aware of the Mobile Pentium MMXs. Using a more recent one it's fine :
pcem_mobilemmx.png
pcem_mobilemmx.png (33.44 KiB) Viewed 8711 times
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

TomWalker wrote:Sorry, I must be missing something - in what way does this make the Advanced/EV unusable? The BIOS POSTs with no errors, and DOS mouse drivers and Windows correctly detect and use the serial mouse.
D'oh! There are actually two issues, one of which was entirely my fault, and I appear to have conflated them. Sorry about that. The Advanced/EV mouse was completely unusable on my build because of an experimental patch I forgot I still had applied, so please disregard that. It does work fine in both DOS and Windows, as you say. However, note that the BIOS still doesn't actually detect the serial mouse on the Advanced/EV. Here's what I'm seeing:
PCem Endeavor Mouse Detection 1.png
PCem Endeavor Mouse Detection 1.png (12.15 KiB) Viewed 8706 times
PCem Endeavor Mouse Detection 2.png
PCem Endeavor Mouse Detection 2.png (22.25 KiB) Viewed 8706 times
The Premiere/PCI, with its very similar BIOS but using the PS/2 mouse emulation, does not have this problem. (Yes, I realize it's cosmetic and inconsequential, but since we were on the subject figured I might as well point it out.) By the way, the memory display bug seen in the CMOS settings, which I'm pretty sure has been pointed out before, appears to manifest reliably and persistently, even when the POST memory test behaves properly; the second screenshot here was taken immediately after the first. Not sure if that sheds any additional light on what's going on there.
EluanCM

Post by EluanCM »

I'm guessing that BIOS label only shows that a PS/2 mouse was detected, not a serial one (I doubt the BIOS tries to detect serial mice, because the ports are not dedicated)
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

It's been years since I actually played with one of these boards, but I could have sworn that that particular BIOS managed to detect the presence of serial mice as well. I might be thinking of a different board, though.
neozeed

Post by neozeed »

I'm in Shenzhen right now and just downloaded v10 in 10 seconds.
startmenu

Post by startmenu »

Has anyone noticed the Voodoo memory dump file that still exists in the release build.
Battler

Post by Battler »

The Advanced/EV BIOS only detects PS/2 mice, so maybe giving it a PS/2 mouse would be more correct.

And as far as CPU detection is concerned, TomWalker, you have a valid point there but... where do we find the more recent BIOS? :p
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Google? The version is given in the filename in the readme, it doesn't appear too hard to find online.