Joystick detection

Support and general discussion.
Chott

Joystick detection

Post by Chott »

Hi:

First it all: awesome work! very impresive. I've got my lovely janes longbow 2 running again under win98se, without any kind of modification.

But I have this problem: I was not able to use my joysticks inside the emulator. Here my specs (I follow the instructions of the main post of the forum):

- Problem: Win98Se does not detect any of my USB joysticks. It detects correctly the mouse and keyboard (both are USB) but no fortune with the joysticks (CH Fightersitck, CH Throttle, CH Pedals, CH quad, Thrustmaster MDFs and Microsoft Force FeedBack 2 -usb-). In control panel there is no alert of unknown devices, they don't appear. I've tried to install CH products drivers and the FFB2 one without success. The tool which came with the CH drivers does not detect any device.

- Software/OS running on emulator: Win98Se (spanish version), Longbow 2 flightsim and CH manager (for the joysticks).

- Emulator specs:
- Award 430VX PCI
- Phoenix S3 Trio64
- Intel CPU
- Pentium 100 (I've tested with MMX's family)
- Videospeed Fast VLB
- SoundBlaster 16
- Memory 256Mb
- Voodoo Graphics
- Direct3D
- Two HD (540mb for OS & 2016mb for data)

- My computer specs:
- i7 930
- 6gb RAM
- Asus GTX 660
- W7 64bits

- Compilator: I've installed v10.1 version for windows from the website.

I appreciate any help or clue to solve this problem.

An image from the Device Manager:

Regards
Battler

Re: Joystick detection

Post by Battler »

The guest doesn't see your host hardware at all. It sees the emulated hardware and it is said emulated hardware that then talks to your host hardware. So what you'll see in PCem is a generic joystick, not your CH stuff. :p Not to mention that there's no way to pass USB devices to the guest anyway as PCem does not emulate USB at all.
Chott

Post by Chott »

Thank you for your reply. If I've understood correctly, right now it not possible to use a joystick/hotas inside emulator, isn't it? Because, at least in my case, the emulated generic joystick does not "communicate" with any of the host devices.

In that case, if it is not posible to use usb devices, is there a way to link the emulated generic joystick with a virtual joystick, like vJoy? it could be a good, and easy, solution (from the perspective of the users, of course).

Regards
Battler

Post by Battler »

I think the emulate joystick can only communicate with host game port devices, not USB. As for vJoy, I'm not sure.
Chott

Post by Chott »

well, then I will wait. Maybe in the future there will be a solution to use usb devices inside guest machine. This proyect has too much potential for the retro flight simmers ;)

Anyway, thank you for your replys,
Orchidsworn

Post by Orchidsworn »

How does one install the emulated joystick?
Greg84

Post by Greg84 »

If your controller is connected and installed in host system, you can add new 2 axes 4 buttons joystick under 'Game Controllers' control panel aplet if we talking about Windows 9x. Maybe more buttons or axes can be added, but I was unable to do that using xinput gamepad.
Chott

Post by Chott »

But I suppose you mean it is possible add a new joystick in win98 if you have a serial port joystick connected in host system, isn't it? Because if you have a usb joystick, as far as I've tested, it doesn't work. Hopefully in the future it will be posible to use a Vjoy to simulate an usb device as serial port joystick.
Zup

Post by Zup »

The original joystick port for IBM PCs allowed two joysticks composed of two axis and two buttons, and that's the thing emulated on PCem.

Some joysticks/gamepads "borrowed" connections of the second joystick to form a typical two axis/four buttons combo or even a four axis/four buttons thing (but that combination is not common), so that's the more complex thing you can emulate on PCem. Maybe if a second joystick port is emulated (a PC could have the joystick port at two different addresses) and the software or the game support that configuration, you could connect two joysticks of 2 axis and 4 buttons simultaneously. A PC with two gameport cards was not common, so I don't think that many games supported it.

I guess vjoy (emulating keyboard presses) would be your best option. I had a Gravis Phoenix programmable joystick, that connected to gameport and keyboard port simultaneously and allowed 4 axis and about 20 buttons (4 buttons were the "normal" gameport buttons, the rest were sent as keypresses). Also, some joysticks had a serial port. The first option (gameport+keypresses) would need only a mapper like that found on Dosbox (or nothing at all if you use an external mapper like vjoy), the second one would need some work to map keypresses to serial events.

Note that USB and gameport connections (nor DirectInput and XInput) aren't related to this feature. It's only that the emulated hardware is the typical inside an old PC... 4 axis, 4 buttons and that's all.
Orchidsworn

Post by Orchidsworn »

I would love to see some later USB joysticks emulated in the future and maybe up to something like 4 devices at a time. I recall having a USB controller with a dpad an analog stick and 8 buttons in the around 2000 ish. Also had a gyro for tilts that acted like dpad presses. So even windows 9X times things like that existed be nice to add them to the experience. I can wait I just hope others would like to see it as well. I feel like I cannot be the only one.
candle_86

Post by candle_86 »

My Sidewinder Precision 2 works with generic 2 axis 4 botton mouse in 98SE, which might i also add is the only thing I have kept this long, bought it brand new at Wal-Mart for i think 40 bucks. Nothing else has lasted nearly this long, I've had about 10 game pads during this time lol.
Chott

Post by Chott »

For all of you who are interested in emulate joysticks inside PCem, someone has warned me of this repository update ;)

https://bitbucket.org/pcem_emulator/pce ... 28079519aa

Reworking of joystick support :
- Joystick type now selectable
- Added emulation of standard joysticks with up to 8 buttons
- Added emulation of Microsoft Sidewinder pads
- Host->emulated joystick button & axis mapping now configurable (only on Windows atm)
- Gameport registers now take 1us to access - helps Sidewinder drivers
I have not been able to test it yet. Hopefully this weekend I will have enough time to check it.
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

i have plugged a third party joypad usb (those ps3-model lookalike)on my pc,and win 98 on pcem recognizes it perfectly in any game(that i've tried so far,mainly DOS)without doing or installing anything..
Chott

Post by Chott »

Which version did you use? v10 or v11? In my case I haven't tested v11 yet because I did not see anything relate to joysticks in the changelog. If I have enough time this weekend I'll try it too.
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

Chott wrote:Which version did you use? v10 or v11? In my case I haven't tested v11 yet because I did not see anything relate to joysticks in the changelog. If I have enough time this weekend I'll try it too.
v11,and again,i haven't tweaked or installed anything.just an anonymous ps3 like joypad plugged in(before starting pcem),run win 98,run a game(lately i've been playing Street racer)street racer..et voila joypad is there,with axis and buttons perfectly recognized
Chott

Post by Chott »

I've taken a moment this afternoon and I've been testing the v11. Sadly my W98 did not find any of my joysticks. I've tested one by one, even the last version of vJoy, without success. PCem does not detect any USB device. I've tried to configure a 3 axis joystick in the control panel, but it always appears disconnected :(
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

Chott wrote:I've taken a moment this afternoon and I've been testing the v11. Sadly my W98 did not find any of my joysticks. I've tested one by one, even the last version of vJoy, without success. PCem does not detect any USB device. I've tried to configure a 3 axis joystick in the control panel, but it always appears disconnected :(
this is how it results on my win 98 on pcem.it doesn't appear on "joystick and controllers" but it does appear here on this list as "gameport joystick" and i didn't set up anything,it just found it by itself.

in fact i didn't even know that the joypad was recognized,i always let it plugged in.then by accident i tried running a dos game(forgot which one it was)and on the dos prompt it asked me to calibrate the joystick before proceeding,and i was like "wtf??"

and i realized it actually works

maybe its according to the fact if you are using win 98 second edition or not?
Attachments
cc.png
cc.png (29.89 KiB) Viewed 27254 times
Chott

Post by Chott »

sadly I haven't had the best of luck

First it all, as you said, I have windows 98 second edition. But it's the spanish version. But I suppose this is not the problem (I hope).

About the joysticks: I've created a vJoy in my hosting machine, but in Win98 it doesn't appear. I had hoped for it appeared as generic joystick. By the way, inside Win98 I've created two joysticks (a stick with 4 buttons and throttle and a generic joy with 3 axis) both of them appear disconnected:

In a the second test, I plugged a MS force feedback 2 (USB) in my hosting machine, but win98 does not detect anything either :(

Right now I havent enough time to compilate the last version from repository :(
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

Chott wrote:sadly I haven't had the best of luck

First it all, as you said, I have windows 98 second edition. But it's the spanish version. But I suppose this is not the problem (I hope).

About the joysticks: I've created a vJoy in my hosting machine, but in Win98 it doesn't appear. I had hoped for it appeared as generic joystick. By the way, inside Win98 I've created two joysticks (a stick with 4 buttons and throttle and a generic joy with 3 axis) both of them appear disconnected:

In a the second test, I plugged a MS force feedback 2 (USB) in my hosting machine, but win98 does not detect anything either :(

Right now I havent enough time to compilate the last version from repository :(
hmm may i ask you why you use vjoy?
Chott

Post by Chott »

As I said in the first post, I have several devices (hotas, rudder pedal, MFD, etc..). DOSBox only detects the first device, so, if you want play with an oldie sim with a Hotas, DOSBox will detect only the stick but not the throttle neither the pedals. With vJoy you can create one virtual joystick using the axis from all those devices. For example: ailerons & elevator from the stick of the hotas, yaw from the rudder pedals, etc.. and finally you can use them with your games in DOSBox. Another reason: there is very old games that assign fuctions to a certain axis and you can not customize it. For example: they have assigned ailerons to the Y Axis and maybe your joy have aileron assigned as X axis). With vJoy you can customize this assignations using UJR (https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/8927 ... ntry565573).

Another example: When I play with helo sims, like EECH, I want to use one device. With vJoy I can assign ailerons & elevator to my MS FFB, the throttle to my CH Throttle and pedals to my CH Pedals. And EECH only sees one device.

BTW vJoy is open source.
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

Chott wrote:As I said in the first post, I have several devices (hotas, rudder pedal, MFD, etc..). DOSBox only detects the first device, so, if you want play with an oldie sim with a Hotas, DOSBox will detect only the stick but not the throttle neither the pedals. With vJoy you can create one virtual joystick using the axis from all those devices. For example: ailerons & elevator from the stick of the hotas, yaw from the rudder pedals, etc.. and finally you can use them with your games in DOSBox. Another reason: there is very old games that assign fuctions to a certain axis and you can not customize it. For example: they have assigned ailerons to the Y Axis and maybe your joy have aileron assigned as X axis). With vJoy you can customize this assignations using UJR (https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/8927 ... ntry565573).

Another example: When I play with helo sims, like EECH, I want to use one device. With vJoy I can assign ailerons & elevator to my MS FFB, the throttle to my CH Throttle and pedals to my CH Pedals. And EECH only sees one device.

BTW vJoy is open source.
i see,i never used that much stuff when playing a flight sim,just one of those old microsoft rudder joystick.for recent windows games,i used xpadder to do the things you just said,but i think that pcem should recognize those without vjoy anyway
Chott

Post by Chott »

Hi

I've spent the last days testing the v12 version. I only want to say thankyou! for the joystick implementation. It detects all the joysticks and the combo Vjoy+Freepie works perfectly. I'm testing with DOS games and Win98 too, and no problem at all!

Great job!