MS-DOS Prompt Freeze, Clock random 00:00 & sound no fluid

Support and general discussion.
raymater

MS-DOS Prompt Freeze, Clock random 00:00 & sound no fluid

Post by raymater »

Hello/Bonjour,

I've installed Windows 95 OSR 2.5 (version 4.00.950 C) in French language on PCem v10.1 and when I would like to launch the MS-DOS Command Prompt on Windows the system freeze : no possibility to move the mouse and I have to send twice Ctrl+Alt+Suppr to stop the task on task manager after a BSOD showing that the System is not responding and that's it I can return on Windows normal !

Randomly a restart or a simple boot of the PCem : the Windows Clock is reinitialised on 00:00.

And finally I have some problems with sound on my Windows 95 : the sound is not fluid : you can sometimes heard a crosshatching sound or repetition of music notes.

My configuration on PCem for Windows 95 (4.00.950 C) :
- Machine : Award 430VX PCI
- Video : Phoenix S3 Trio64 with 2 MB of memory size
- CPU type : Intel
- CPU : Pentium 133
- Dynamic Recompiler grey tint and checked
- Cache : A lot
- Video speed : Fast VLB/PCI
- Soundcard : Sound Blaster AWE32
- Memory : 64 MB
- Drive A : 5.25" 360k / 3.5"
- Drive B : none (I delete Drive B:\ on cfg file but PCem program show 5.25" 1.2M but it doesn't present on my config)
- CMS / Game Blaster activated
- Gravis Ultrasound activated
- Voodoo Graphics activated with 4 MB Framebuffer memory size, 4 MB of Texture memory size, Bilinear filtering activated and Render threads on 2.
HDD : Sectors : 63 ; Heads : 16 ; Cylinders : 8192 ; 3.92 GB (FAT32)

My host PC (Laptop ASUS X75VB) :
- Windows 10 Pro x64
- 8 GB of RAM (DDR3)
- Intel Core i5 3230M 2.60GHz
- Intel HD Graphics 4000
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M
- HDD WD 1TB

Enjoy to have solutions ;-),
Zacker

Re: MS-DOS Prompt Freeze, Clock random 00:00 & sound no flui

Post by Zacker »

Turn down your Pentium to a 75MHz, disable Game Blaster and Ultrasound, minimalize the Voodoo settings but KEEP the BILINEAR FILTERING on. That should minimalize the sound chipping.

As for the freezes, I believe you screwed up on the installation. Reinstall, or, (rest in PM)
raymater

Re: MS-DOS Prompt Freeze, Clock random 00:00 & sound no fluid

Post by raymater »

Same problems, even with the last version of PCem (v11)

On freezing : is possible to end task freezed with Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+Suppr works)

EDIT : Freezing is now resolved by changing Video card with S3 ViRGE/DX and I/O parameters auto in BIOS Setup. But I already have Clock in 00:00 (especially at reboot).