A mere idea for a future chipset (440FX)

Support and general discussion.
omarsis81

A mere idea for a future chipset (440FX)

Post by omarsis81 »

SarahWalker and PCem devs!

Did you consider to emulate the 440FX in a future?
I read that QEMU chose to emulate that chipset, and since is an open source software, you can take the code from there!
Also, both 440FX and 430VX utilize the same southbridge (PIIX3) so, you’d have half work done!
With 440FX you can use Pentium Pro and Pentium II (66 fsb) which would be very interesting to have!
Battler

Re: A mere idea for a future chipset (440FX)

Post by Battler »

While I don't know if SarahWalker ever wants to have this in the mainline, I have two 440FX boards emulated in PCem-Experimental as well as those CPU's though my code is still very buggy (Windows 2000 and XP both BSoD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when I try to boot them on one of the emulated Pentium II's with SYSENTER and SYSEXIT instructions) so it's still very preliminary.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: A mere idea for a future chipset (440FX)

Post by SarahWalker »

My main concerns are that the recompiler isn't fast enough really for Pentium Pro/II, and even if it was, I don't think with the current design you could get anything close to real timing for those CPUs. You could emulate a VIA C3 I suppose, but I don't really see the point; I think it would be better to improve the CPUs PCem already emulates rather than add more at this stage.