Cannot access CD-ROM drive at all

Support and general discussion.
Katakis

Cannot access CD-ROM drive at all

Post by Katakis »

I am running PCem via Wine and I had no problems with it in the past when I used v10. This includes the CD-ROM support, but now it is broken in v11.
I am using a MS-DOS 6.2 boot disk which includes a CD-ROM driver. Looking at the AUTOEXEC.BAT, one of the lines read:
MSCDEX.EXE /D:banana /L:R
And the CONFIG.SYS reads:
DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana
(and a whole bunch of REM statements with different parameters for the /P switch)
If I start up with this boot disk in v10, I have no problems. However, starting up in v11 produces the following error:
Device driver not found: 'BANANA'
No valid CDROM device drivers selected
...even if I set the CD-ROM settings to "Empty".

My only explanation for this is that someone added code Wine does not agree with. Changing Wine engines doesn't help.
[hr]
I noticed that you can map a hard disk to a CD-ROM within the Hard disc settings dialog. That may be all well and good. However, if I buy myself a copy of Quake II, copy all the files on the CD to a directory, then map the directory to a hard disc CD-ROM, and then install the game
The game will run, but I guess I won't be able to hear the CD audio tracks, right?
startmenu

Re: Cannot access CD-ROM drive at all

Post by startmenu »

Oakcdrom driver works fine. What's the driver you're using?
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

CD1.SYS, which seems to be from Oak Technologies as well.
Oakcdrom driver works fine.
Tried that, get "No drives found, aborting installation"
Zup

Post by Zup »

Remember that nvr files changed place, maybe your old CMOS configuration has been replaced. Have you got into CMOS and verify that there are a CD-ROM configured there?

Also, you can select now channel and master/slave position for your CD-ROM. If your BIOS don't support two IDE channels, you may need to set it as first channel slave.

BTW... why not trying to compile the sources instead of running it through wine?
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

I don't remember having to do this while I was using v10, but...
I created a configuration file, changed the "cdrom_drive", "cdrom_enabled", and "cdrom_channel" parameters to "1", and then it worked.
Zup wrote:BTW... why not trying to compile the sources instead of running it through wine?
Because I find Wine easier to use. Besides, I think that Sarah listed 4 programs that you need to compile PCem, but they are for Windows only.
I have xCode, which is a start.
Zup

Post by Zup »

Oh, I guess you're using MacOS...

BTW, the configuration of CD-ROM is below Disc -> Configure Hard Disk... on that dialog you may configure your hard disk (obviously) but also "place" your virtual CD-ROM on a specific IDE port, so you don't have to edit .cfg files manually.