[SOLVED] IBM PS/1 Model 2011 not recognising hard disk.

Support and general discussion.
ppgrainbow

[SOLVED] IBM PS/1 Model 2011 not recognising hard disk.

Post by ppgrainbow »

I have a problem with the latest release of PCem (v11 r518).

I created a 40 MB hard disk image to use for the emulated IBM PS/1 Model 2011 (VGA, 1 MB RAM) and even with the ibm_at_1_1_5.bin (XTIDE v1.1.5) placed in the ROMS sub-directory, FDISK wouldn't even recognise the hard disk image.

I get a "No fixed disks present" error message instead of FDISK setup.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

I'm also wondering if other emulated machines that use the ibm_at_1_1_5.bin ROM has this problem as well or not.
Last edited by ppgrainbow on Sun 26 Jun, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ibmpc5150

Re: Emulated IBM PS/1 Model 2011 not recognising hard disk.

Post by ibmpc5150 »

I think original IBM PS/1 Model 2011 should recognize Hard Disk without XTIDE.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Hmm, seems to work okay here. Do you see XTIDE start up and detect the drive before DOS loads? The PS/1 2011 needs a very specific XTIDE configuration as detailed in the readme file (due to the the ROM-based DOS on this machine), so your XTIDE ROM image may be configured incorrectly.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

ibmpc5150 wrote:I think original IBM PS/1 Model 2011 should recognize Hard Disk without XTIDE.
The PS/1 2011 has a custom ESDI hard disc controller. PCem doesn't emulate this, hence the use of XTIDE for this system.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

SarahWalker wrote:
ibmpc5150 wrote:I think original IBM PS/1 Model 2011 should recognize Hard Disk without XTIDE.
The PS/1 2011 has a custom ESDI hard disc controller. PCem doesn't emulate this, hence the use of XTIDE for this system.
Thank you for telling me. Unfortunately, I didn't see XTIDE 1.1.5 in the BIOS screen, but a blinking cursor instead. And thus the machine failed to detect the IDE hard disk.

Edit: It works now. I had saved a copy of the ibm_at.bin ROM with the Full Operating Mode disabled and rename it as ibm_at_1_1_5.bin. My router keep crapping out on my and I had to reset it to make it work again. Sorry about that.
Zup

Re: [SOLVED] IBM PS/1 Model 2011 not recognising hard disk.

Post by Zup »

I've been trying to make it work (I had a previous post talking about this). Can you post your ROM or instructions about how to disable Full Operating Mode, please?

Nevermind, I've solved too. I haven't found how to save the BIOS using XTIDECFG.COM, so I've followed these steps:

- Download XT IDE 1.1.5 package and unpack it.
- Run XTIDECFG.COM (I've done that using DOSBox, but you can try to run it from any DOS or Windows 32 bit machine).
- Use "Load BIOS from file" and load ibm_at.bin
- Go into "Configure XTIDE Universal BIOS".
- Disable Full Operating Mode and make other changes if you need.
- Go to main menu.
- Use "Load old settings from EEPROM". XTIDECFG will ask you to save your (now changed) BIOS.
- Save it, exit and check it.
DOSGamerMan

Re: [SOLVED] IBM PS/1 Model 2011 not recognising hard disk.

Post by DOSGamerMan »

Followed Zup's instructions, I will add the link I downloaded the xt ide package from: https://code.google.com/archive/p/xtide ... /downloads

I downloaded it, And using doxbox, with xtidecfg.com I edited and disabled full operating system and then saved ide_at.bin
I renamed it to ide_at_1_1_5.bin
And replaced every file with the same name in my roms folder in PCEM with that file.
And oh sweet glory, I saw XT IDE on boot, and running "configur" from the startup disk saw the HDD.