[Bug] Windows 3.1 no longer works

Support and general discussion.
Battler

[Bug] Windows 3.1 no longer works

Post by Battler »

This has started since the latest commit (the recompiler change). I tried two separate copies of it. One had Program Manager fail with error and then back to DOS prompt and then failing to load KRNL386.EXE since, while the other would send me to the DOS prompt directly when run in 386 Enhanced Mode, while failing to load SYSTEM.DRV when run in Standard Mode. Tried both on Pentium 75 (which has mandatory recompiler) and WinChip 75 with recompiler off - the problems occur on the former but not on the latter.
ppgrainbow

Re: [Bug] Windows 3.1 no longer works

Post by ppgrainbow »

Battler wrote:This has started since the latest commit (the recompiler change). I tried two separate copies of it. One had Program Manager fail with error and then back to DOS prompt and then failing to load KRNL386.EXE since, while the other would send me to the DOS prompt directly when run in 386 Enhanced Mode, while failing to load SYSTEM.DRV when run in Standard Mode. Tried both on Pentium 75 (which has mandatory recompiler) and WinChip 75 with recompiler off - the problems occur on the former but not on the latter.
Does this bug also affect Windows 3.0 as well.

It looks like that the latest commit (rev531) broke Windows 3.x 386 Enhanced Mode support. :(

Does the bug occur on the 486 and 386 emulated machines such as the AMI486 and AMI386?
Battler

Post by Battler »

- ppgrainbow: The bug also affects the Standard Mode of Windows 3.1. The interesting thing is, Windows for Workgroups 3.11 works correctly, but Windows 3.1 doesn't. No idea about Windows 3.0.
I suspect the 486 machines are also affected as it's a recompiler bug. The 386 emulation only uses the interpreter so it's not affected.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Fixed in rev 532.
Battler

Post by Battler »

Thank you! Though, I think you forgot to fix it for the 64-bit recompiler.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Fixed in rev 533...
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

SarahWalker wrote:Fixed in rev 533...
Thank you so much! :)
leilei

Post by leilei »

On the topic of bad operating system installations broken by the recompiler commit, Windows Me setup will hang PCem (no refresh; crash on hard reset, etc) before it gets to make a startup disk.
Doesn't happen on Winchip interpreter. Also this dosen't occur in Windows98SE's instlalation with the recompiler.
ppgrainbow

Post by ppgrainbow »

leilei wrote:On the topic of bad operating system installations broken by the recompiler commit, Windows Me setup will hang PCem (no refresh; crash on hard reset, etc) before it gets to make a startup disk.
Doesn't happen on Winchip interpreter. Also this dosen't occur in Windows98SE's instlalation with the recompiler.
That doesn't sound good. :(

Does Windows ME work without the dynamic re-compiler enabled?