PCem Host System Requirements - Pentium MMX

Support and general discussion.
tk421

PCem Host System Requirements - Pentium MMX

Post by tk421 »

Good day,

I am new to PCem, but I have experience using VMWARE, Virtual PC and Virtualbox. In a week or two I will be able to do some testing with PCem. I am eager to build a DOS environment in PCem (386, 486), but Windows 98 is the main OS I cannot get running with full features. My goal is to build a Windows 95/98 environment in PCem to run older programs, including 3DFX games that ran on older Pentium and Pentium MMX PCs (cpu range 75-233Mhz).

I am using a laptop with an AMD A8 quad-core 2.0 Ghz cpu (turbo 2.4 Ghz). Does my PC meet the system requirements to run an emulated Pentium-MMX pc with Voodoo graphics through PCem? If not, what system requirements would be needed to do so?

Thank you for your time,

tk421
leilei

Re: PCem Host System Requirements - Pentium MMX

Post by leilei »

Definitely not on any Infinite cache setting. The Voodoo recompiler should be fine though

At the time of this writing, an i5 (i7 on laptops) @>4ghz should get you to PMMX166 Infinite nicely.
tk421

Post by tk421 »

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried DOS running under various configurations and Windows 95 under the Award 430vx chipset. The one thing I noticed so far is choppy, stuttering sound. A sound will often be repeated, playing more than once. This happens no matter what OS I am running, and under the whole 386sx/16 to Pentium-90 MMX range.

I use default sound options that came with PCem. May I ask what I am doing wrong with the sound?

I will try to set up voodoo 3Dfx graphics sometime this week.

Since Jedi Knight only requires about 90Mhz to run, I will try that sometime this week too.

Thank you for your time,

tk421
Solstar82

Post by Solstar82 »

tk421 wrote:Thank you for your reply.

I have tried DOS running under various configurations and Windows 95 under the Award 430vx chipset. The one thing I noticed so far is choppy, stuttering sound. A sound will often be repeated, playing more than once. This happens no matter what OS I am running, and under the whole 386sx/16 to Pentium-90 MMX range.

I use default sound options that came with PCem. May I ask what I am doing wrong with the sound?

I will try to set up voodoo 3Dfx graphics sometime this week.

Since Jedi Knight only requires about 90Mhz to run, I will try that sometime this week too.

Thank you for your time,

tk421
to me it happens in windows 98,when i boot the system ALREADY with the cache set on infinite.if you boot it with cahce set on "a lot" and then you change it to infinite,you shouldn't have the stuttering
vorob

Post by vorob »

I've got two PCS

One is laptop with core i7 3000mhz, 4cores / 8threads. Around 70 TFLOPS. System Shock 2 is showing 7 fps.
Second one is desktop with core i7 4500mhz, 4cores / 8threads. Around 95 TFLOPS. But System Shock 2 is showing 7 fps.

How can it be?
leilei

Post by leilei »

Shock's one of those cache-heavy self-modifying code games that perform poorly in the V11 release. Try compiling your own from the latest tree and see if it runs better.

EDIT: Thought it was shock 1, but still, the same advice applies. also it ran in the 20s-30s on Pentium II+V2s of its day so i'm not in a shock that ss2 would be slow
vorob

Post by vorob »

"Try compiling your own from the latest tree and see if it runs better."

That would be impossible for me :(