Comparing the GNU/Linux Version againts M. Windows Version

Support and general discussion.
inukaze

Comparing the GNU/Linux Version againts M. Windows Version

Post by inukaze »

Well because this forum not support HTML, i attach the an HTML file, with my comparatives table. just contained some information i note the differences between the Microsoft Windows versions and the GNU/Linux version.

Ok i can't attach an html file says "The extension html is not allowed.
The upload was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector."

Well i put on GoogleDocs instead ¬¬,
Link To Document -> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-S8 ... sp=sharing

Right now under GNU/Linux i think the most i can make with PCEm v11, its install DOS 6.22 + Windows 3.11 + Sound Blaster 16 Drivers + 3DFX Drivers for DOS, and Unibve (SciTech) just for testing :D

i hope more developers contribute to this awesome project, and the GNU/Linux and Microsoft Windows version have the same usable options. and the stability.

===================================================================================================================================================

If some developers read this I wanna make some suggestions :
1 - Add support to the same "Machines" , "CPU Types" and "Video Cards" for the Final user can use the same configuration from Microsoft Window Version (Can be obtained using Wine)

2 - The Sound Blaster Configuration Module i think should be options like Timidity, Timidity++, Fluidsynth, and similar

3 - Some way of change resolution of the PCEm Window. and scale methods like emulators like DOSBox, because in much cases, the Window are really tiny and hard to see the text

4 - Add support for read cd from mounted locations, for example using CDEmu

5 - Its good idea, when Voodo 3DFx are configure use some similar to PCIPasstrought to use directly some things from the video card on the host ?
leilei

Re: Comparing the GNU/Linux Version againts M. Windows Versi

Post by leilei »

inukaze wrote:5 - Its good idea, when Voodo 3DFx are configure use some similar to PCIPasstrought to use directly some things from the video card on the host ?
Not possible (passthrough is for PCIe only IIRC). Furhtermore, reading the framebuffer through the bus (as the old WinGlide glide driver did to gain Voodoo/2 rendering in a window) would be very very very slow.
inukaze

Post by inukaze »

Well another thing i notice , is the Floppy Support its incomple under GNU/Linux version.

i must use PlayOnLinux + Wine 1.9.22-staging with PCEm v11 . to set a compatible configuration, to see if i can use native version with DOS 6.22 + Windows for Workgroups 3.11

Someone knows how i can write the special character " \ " with a spanish keyboard ???
i dont understand which is the default keyboard of PCEm , i dont know is Ucraine or German.
Battler

Post by Battler »

The default keyboard layout is whatever the specific BIOS you're using sets as default, most likely US English, so \ is typed by a key that's generally going to be somewhere around Enter, its position depending on the size and shape of the Enter key. :p
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

The Linux version is essentially a 'proof of concept' port. When I wrote it I was naively hoping that someone with more Linux UI coding skill than me would be interested enough to improve it - funnily enough, 2 years later and this hasn't happened...
Tuxality

Post by Tuxality »

SarahWalker wrote:The Linux version is essentially a 'proof of concept' port. When I wrote it I was naively hoping that someone with more Linux UI coding skill than me would be interested enough to improve it - funnily enough, 2 years later and this hasn't happened...
It's a shame that GNU/Linux version is inferior to the Microsoft Windows version of PCem. Are you interested in GTK+ GUI? If you are interested, maybe I can handle this... For now I'm reverse engineering and implementing two cards in PCem - NEC PowerVR PCX2 and NVIDIA NV1, but I can give GUI a go. If you have other API in mind, just tell - but please, not Allegro. ;)
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

I have no preference as regards API - I know almost nothing about any of them! As long as it's somewhat usable then I'm happy.
Tuxality

Post by Tuxality »

Fine then, I'll try to find discretionary time to implement GTK+ user interface for PCem. ;)