Thank you for creating this emulator!

Support and general discussion.
Wild1234

Thank you for creating this emulator!

Post by Wild1234 »

I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for the work that you put into creating this pc emulator.

I was speaking with a lady at my work and she mentioned that she used to love playing wolfenstein 3d and a few other games but was sad that she could not get them to run on any of her new computers. I told her that I would try and help and have spent several days attempting to set up a windows 98 virtual machine for her to run on a windows 8 computer. I was banging my head against the wall trying several different VM programs and every one suffered from stability issues, graphical issues, or lack of sb16 midi support. I know I could set up dosbox to run individual games, but she would not be able to simply install a new game and play it that way.

Then today I stumble upon your program, spend a little time reading the instructions, finding the proper roms, and installing windows 98 and... Everything worked flawlessly! I tried stunts, wolfenstein 3d, and doom 2, all ran without any issue. For a final test I installed Microsoft Flight Simulator 98, while I had no joystick I managed to load up the default flight and cruse around holding I would guess somewhere around 15-20fps. I am having such a blast pulling out these old games and actually installing them rather than running some repacked version bundled with dosbox. Not to mention my old friends the dangerous creatures plus! theme and johnny castaway screen saver:P Next I shall start working my way into my old Sierra games collection... Daventry, here I come!

Again, thank you to anybody and everybody that has contributed to this project. I can now rest assured that my quest to bring back some nostalgia to a co-worker has not been in vain! As far as I am concerned, if this program had support for pentium processors, cd iso files, and picked up my usb joystick it would be the absolute perfect system for keeping the old dos and early windows games alive.
frankiekam

Re: Thank you for creating this emulator!

Post by frankiekam »

Hi Wild1234

I am using PCemV12Win and I echo your appreciation and admiration and thanks for such a wonderful product! I could never get the authentic soundblaster game sounds with DOSBox or D-Fend until I used PCem running on MS-DOS 6.22! May I know what "Configure PCem" you used to install Windows98? Here's mine which allows me to run DOS games perfectly:

Machine: AMI WinBIOS 486
Video: VGA
CPU type: Intel
CPU: i486DX2/40

I am curious to know what is the Configuration of your PCem.

I want to make my PCem the fastest possible, provided the ROM is available. The most I can go up to is the i486DX2/40. Perhaps one day the Pentium MMX ROM will be available for downloading. I too, like you, want to create the ultimate PCem Windows98 emulator machine so that I can install all those Win95/98 flight sim games. Like Total Air War and Mig Alley. I would be interested to also know where you downloaded your drivers for your setup.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards
Frankie Kam
Malaysia
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

This post is over 2 1/2 years old, lol.

In any case: min specs for win98 is a 486DX/66 with 16mb ram. However, you could get the win98 machine working decently using a Pentium 75/430vx/32mb ram system or better.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

frankiekam wrote:Perhaps one day the Pentium MMX ROM will be available for downloading. I too, like you, want to create the ultimate PCem Windows98 emulator machine so that I can install all those Win95/98 flight sim games. Like Total Air War and Mig Alley. I would be interested to also know where you downloaded your drivers for your setup.
Pentium MMX or any other CPU don't requiere a ROM or anything to be downloaded, it comes within PCem itself, in your case you need the BIOS for the 430VX motherboard (a Shuttle HOT-557 - the BIOS should be named 55XWUQ0E.BIN and placed within the 430VX folder)
Last edited by omarsis81 on Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

gen_angry wrote:This post is over 2 1/2 years old, lol.
Yeah, but I'll post in this anyway, BECAUSE I CAN...