Random screenshots

Support and general discussion.
leilei

Random screenshots

Post by leilei »

I don't have many places to share random screenshots of PCem so i'll try here.

For bandwidth's sake it's all going to be remote links and not attachments, and exhibit things working as they should (including filtering and proper graphic artifacts)

Win95J with 9 FAT16 partitions
Hexen II in the early stages of the new V2 filter code
Extreme Paintbrawl playable and working properly
Timecop through SNES9x's 3dfx Glide output on Voodoo2
Unreal Tournament 2004 through OpenGL on Voodoo2 (a very bad idea, unsupported 3d card)
Max Payne graphic novels through Voodoo2's texture limitations
Oni demo on Voodoo2
Jedi Outcast on Voodoo2 (Using MesaFX. 3dfxvgl garbles the text as it does with real hardware)
Redhat Linux 6.2 running (quite nicely at that)
Last edited by leilei on Sun 30 Jun, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ppgrainbow

Re: Random screenshots

Post by ppgrainbow »

Awesome! How did you get Windows 95 J to achieve 9 FAT16 partitions? :D

I know for a fact that there is a way for that OS to make the achievement of using every hard disk drive letter from C to Z totaling 24 FAT16 partitions for a maximum combined total of 48 GB, assuming that no CD-ROM drive is available.

With four 7.88 GB hard disks (each drive formatted as 2 GB FAT16 partitions), that's technically not possible with PCem.

The PCem can allow for each hard disk image and IDE CD-ROM support disabled, you would end up with drives C through F on the primary partition and drive G through R reserved as logical drives. With the CD-ROM support enabled, drives C through E would end up on the primary partition and F through N would be reserved as logical drives.

For the AMI WinBIOS 486, it only has one IDE controller and can address up to 7.88 GB maximum. With two IDE hard drives (split into a 1.84 GB primary partition and three 2 GB logical partitions on both hard drives) and CD-ROM support disabled, C and D would be primary partitions and drives E through J would be reserved as logical drives.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

leilei wrote:I don't have many places to share random screenshots of PCem so i'll try here.

For bandwidth's sake it's all going to be remote links and not attachments, and exhibit things working as they should (including filtering and proper graphic artifacts)
Nice pics leilei! I really love the ones when you compare real V2 and PCem's. Keep posting!
Zup

Post by Zup »

ppgrainbow wrote:Awesome! How did you get Windows 95 J to achieve 9 FAT16 partitions? :D
If he used only a hard disk, I guess he defined a system partition and then two extended partitions with four FAT16 volumes inside. Or he could have used more hard disks (up to three).
ppgrainbow wrote:I know for a fact that there is a way for that OS to make the achievement of using every hard disk drive letter from C to Z totaling 24 FAT16 partitions for a maximum combined total of 48 GB, assuming that no CD-ROM drive is available.

With four 7.88 GB hard disks (each drive formatted as 2 GB FAT16 partitions), that's technically not possible with PCem.
Or you could try an unofficial build of PCem with network support and use a network drive. Using SMB you won't have that 2Gb limit.
leilei

Post by leilei »

or use a OS with support for FAT32 (Win95B+) and a BIOS with support for bigger drives (not AMIBIOS). PCem's happy to support 8gb partitions on the supported Award bioses
KingDaveRa

Post by KingDaveRa »

That Windows 95 machines reminds me of an actual PC I encountered years ago back at a little computer shop I worked at. As was typical at the time, this guy had a 'mate down the pub' who told him he could make it run super fast and save disk space by converting his Windows 95 PC to loads of little 2GB Partitions. It was based on the old FAT16 relying on large cluster sizes and using smaller partitions allowed for smaller clusters. This guys mate had chopped the C drive up into a stupid number of partitions, and his C drive was now full. The PC was basically unusable! We ended up wiping it and rebuilding it back as it should be.

Anyway, PCEm works quite happily with larger disks if you enable enhanced mode for IDE in the BIOS, if it's not already on.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Bumping this with more random screenshots
Neverwinter Nights (No hardware mouse cursors on V2, so naturally it's unplayable. Game does run at "playable" speed (similar to having much better video hardware in a real K6-2) and graphically correct otherwise)
Post-game completion of Unreal Return to Na Pali
Melty Blood on S3 ViRGE
Latest SliTaZ rolling
leilei

Post by leilei »

One of the big benefits behind the recent Voodoo Banshee emulation is that some games that *almost* work can have fixes made in a more comfortable testing environment (where no hardware is at risk from the scientific process), and as a result, i've almost got Phantasy Star Online (PC) playable (which wasn't ever officially supported due to texture reasons)
Attachments
pcempso2.jpg
pcempso2.jpg (148.03 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
tk421

Post by tk421 »

That is a great screenshot.

PCem v17 continues to impress me. The Voodoo 3 is a huge upgrade over the previous technologies. It was impressive back in the day too.

The Pentium 2 was amazing back in the day, and today it is perfectly emulated in PCem. Game performance is really, really good.

I have not played any games since before Christmas. I should probably change that soon.