Reshade

Support and general discussion.
resle

Reshade

Post by resle »

Anyone tried Reshade (www.reshade.me) or other shader injectors with PCem? I gave it a try attempting to emulate my old CRT monitor. If someone else out there tried the same, perhaps we can share settings and shaders? (as for me I am still struggling to get a decent result)
szadycbr

Re: Reshade

Post by szadycbr »

i m not an expert or anything close to,but i think it wont work at all with PCem. how can you add ambient occlusion on api what does only render frame? not the whole scene, PCem use d3d only for display and it is not exately rendering but only "painting a picture" from frame generated inside the emulated enviroment. The CRT monitor emulation? that could work possibly , but you must press Shift + F2 to open the menu after "game" started , and it just does not work in PCem. Reshade with PCem crashes on d3d9 but it "works" fine on d3d10+ , but you got no options to set/start. without settings i dont see any difference, and like i said before i dont think it will work at all.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

i did add sweetFX 1.5.0 and it kinda works , but in a window and how to configure that thing it other story.
resle

Post by resle »

@szadycbr - it's fairly obvious that pcem uses d3d only for blitting/compositing.. clearly my intent was using shaders for postprocessing, specifically crt emulation (as I, in fact, wrote)

for me reshade 3.0 worked just fine with pcem using d3d9, full screen, and without any need to recall the configuration layer (ctrl+f2). I get a decent crt emulation complete with curvature, bloom, vignetting etc. - all I am saying is I didn't find optimal settings yet (it looks just ok.. not as good as, say, crt royale or libretro's crt shaders)
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

resle, thank you , good to know, but how did u bring config? ctrl+f2? default is shift+f2 and none of it works. and d3d9 crash right away. i run it on win10 64bit and hd3000 , maybe the shitty card is a problem.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Don't bother with "shader injectors". PCem's Direct3D output doesn't have nearest neighbor resampling (for clean pixel input) nor does it provide the screen resolution used to the shader so it'll all look wrong.

There was once a v8-ish fork called PCem-FX that backported the Dosbox Direct3D patch's shader support but it wasn't very robust, and because patches weren't made and submitted, it was left to rot and die.

also if i were to implement shaders in pcem myself it'd be only some sort of smart crt shader automatically reflecting on the video card/machine for the most appropriate crt setting/masks/etc just for convenience, as well as dealing with scanline weight/mask moire with host resolution. and i'd probably try to hack in the effects for the gun too and maybe even go as far as recreating the vga signal loss on certain not-Matrox video cards
resle

Post by resle »

@szadycbr with that intel gpu don't even bother trying.

@leilei, right - I see that pcem renders with bilinear filtering by default. I wouldn't say the results are truly horrendous...
pce1.JPG
pce1.JPG (248.14 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
pce3.JPG
pce3.JPG (59.64 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
pce2.JPG
pce2.JPG (169.71 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
...but certainly not even close to what could be achieved.

In fact, going about what you mention in the tiny-text part of your message, I think a patch to have a little more configurability for the D3D render would be more than enough - and open up lots of possibilities.
Even just something to set resolution, filtering, and vsync.
Emulating CRTs in detail seems out of PCem's scope to me, but being able to "plug" PCem to something else that tries to do that, would be nice.