Build instructions for MinGW?

Discussion of development and patch submission.
emendelson

Build instructions for MinGW?

Post by emendelson »

A few months ago, JohnElliott added emulation for the Genius MDA video card, as described in this thread:

https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... ?f=3&t=652

I'd like to test this with WordPerfect's text and graphic video driver for the Genius board, but I haven't been able to find up-to-date build instructions for use with MinGW; I'd like to test under Windows. Are these instructions here, and I simply need to look harder? Or would someone generous be willing to post instructions? I've build DOSBox and SheepShaver under MinGW, so I know the basics.

Thanks for any help.
szadycbr

Re: Build instructions for MinGW?

Post by szadycbr »

Hi there, Dreamer did nice build guide which helped me https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... uide#p4696
All types of Makefiles are in /src directory, to build on mingw in linux ,32bit , 64bit , wx-sdl2 version etc. but generally if you follow dreamer guide you should have not much problems.
Last edited by szadycbr on Sat 15 Jul, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JosepMa

Post by JosepMa »

Dou you mave msys 1 mingw, or do you have msys 2 mingw64?

If you have the latter, things almost work, except a few issues: First one, you need to explicitly compile using the Makefile.mingw in the src subfolder.
Then, you will need to fix a few errors in the source that make it not compile with that setup, which are a few indentation issues, and some #ifdefs that don't work correctly ( the one in cdrom_ctrl.c, you need to change MINGW64 for MINGW32 . MINGW64 is defined only when compiling in 64bit).

The dependencies are openal, allegro and... I think not much more.
emendelson

Post by emendelson »

I'm using msys 1 MinGW, and will try the instructions as soon as I get back to my development machine, I hope tomorrow. When you say "things almost work" with msgs 2, does that mean that "things just work" with msgs 1?

I found the reqs folder that Dreamer mentioned here:

https://bitbucket.org/svajoklis/pcem/sr ... lis_repack

and I'm including the link in case anyone else has trouble finding it.

Thanks for this. I'll report on progress.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I was able to create my own build with that guide and I have very low knowledge with programming. I had a few problems, but finally I can create my own EXE

the one problem I remember I have is that in "soundopenal.c" I have to edit it every time a new release is made and change the following lines
#include <AL/al.h> --> #include <al.h>
#include <AL/alc.h> --> #include <alc.h>

and copy those two files into the main folder. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the "path" config, but this is the only way I could solve it
Battler

Post by Battler »

That's because every variant of MinGW seems to have minor variations with regards to include paths. I wish they decided on one set of include and had all the variants stick to it.
emendelson

Post by emendelson »

Thanks to everyone for all these instructions. I'm working my way slowly through removing and installing packages, and will report back with any questions. Thanks again!
ndavis82

Post by ndavis82 »

omarsis81 wrote:I was able to create my own build with that guide and I have very low knowledge with programming. I had a few problems, but finally I can create my own EXE

the one problem I remember I have is that in "soundopenal.c" I have to edit it every time a new release is made and change the following lines
#include <AL/al.h> --> #include <al.h>
#include <AL/alc.h> --> #include <alc.h>

and copy those two files into the main folder. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the "path" config, but this is the only way I could solve it
Thank you! I was having trouble with this as well.