Mouse Systems mouse support

Discussion of development and patch submission.
Adomatic

Mouse Systems mouse support

Post by Adomatic »

If I may ask, I wondered if there were any plans to add Mouse Systems mouse (especially for old PC/XT/AT). There is some old software, including the famous Visi On, that doesn't work with Microsoft compatible mouse. While I can launch this on a couple of other emulators, I'd still prefer to use PCem, so I'd be really glad if this was going to be implemented any time in the future. I even managed to find some source code for emulating Mouse Systems protocol, but I'm no developer, so I couldn't possibly add it to the PCem source files properly and recompile it without messing everything up.
omarsis81

Re: Mouse Systems mouse support

Post by omarsis81 »

Just a thought: did you try a Genius driver for the current emulated mice to see if they are compatible with Mouse System's? Because a Genius related branded acquired Mouse System and maybe they gave backward compatibility
Adomatic

Post by Adomatic »

I tried to install several versions of several drivers, including Genius (and CuteMouse from the links on this website), however, it always resulted in one of the two outcomes: either I wasn't able to move the mouse cursor at all, or I was able to move it everywhere except Visi On.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Should be fairly straightforward. I'll add it to my list.
Adomatic

Post by Adomatic »

This is great news, thank you.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Added in rev 830.
ndavis82

Post by ndavis82 »

SarahWalker wrote:Added in rev 830.
Works great.
Adomatic

Post by Adomatic »

Now that is really strange... it really works in Norton Commander after installing the driver, but it doesn't work in Windows, and it doesn't work in Visi On as well... It also cannot be selected for IBM XT (just keeps reverting to Microsoft mouse).
I have checked it in Windows 1.0, 2.0 and 3.11, and the cursor does not move (in fact, it does not even appear). Trying to open Windows 3.11 Control Panel to check mouse and port settings resulted in a hang-up when trying to load MMSYSTEM.DLL (the file name was shown in the status line). Reverting to Microsoft mouse solved the hang-up.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Definitely worked in Windows 3.11 for me. Stupid question - did you remember to change mouse type to Mouse Systems in Windows setup?
Battler

Post by Battler »

For the Mouse Systems serial mouse to work in VisiOn, you need to remove this in the poller:

Code: Select all

if (!(serial->ier & 1))
                return;
Adomatic

Post by Adomatic »

Definitely worked in Windows 3.11 for me. Stupid question - did you remember to change mouse type to Mouse Systems in Windows setup?
I did that, but I looked more closely once again and I realized that I accidentally selected "Mouse Systems on COM2". After I changed that to "Mouse systems bus/serial", it worked in Windows 3.11 (choosing Control Panel in the same window still resulted in a crash, though... don't know why mmsystem.dll doesn't like it).
For the Mouse Systems serial mouse to work in VisiOn, you need to remove this in the poller:
I cannot really judge, but maybe this will enable it in Windows 2.0 and 1.0 as well (they don't have their own mouse type choice menu).
leilei

Post by leilei »

Works here.
Attachments
mscmouse.jpg
mscmouse.jpg (50.39 KiB) Viewed 14447 times
Adomatic

Post by Adomatic »

Hmm... I guess it might be some configuration issue on my side then.
That has worked indeed, thank you!
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Fixed in rev 839.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

leilei wrote:Works here.
Nice-looking screenshot, leilei. What shader settings are those? Have you applied anything other than the curvature?
leilei

Post by leilei »

A hastily done VGA signal loss shader I haven't uploaded yet + tweaked CRT Easymode which drops scanlines if the guestresolution/windows size difference is too small (to avoid moire)
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

Sounds about right. Something like that would be great to have in mainline PCem.